Final Fantasy (was an Arena discussion)

DaBrain

Spaceman
[broken off from this thread - Death]

[T]he first Final Fantasy movie was a way bigger project than Arena. And it still wasn't able to keep up with the fans hopes for it.
The movie itself wasn't bad though (again my opinion), it just wasn't enough.
Well, the second movie finally deserved the "Final Fantasy" title.

the first Final Fantasy movie was a way bigger project than Arena. And it still wasn't able to keep up with the fans hopes for it.

Here is something I just don't get. People pissed and moaned that The Spirits Within wasn't Final Fantasy enough? As if the nine games that came out prior to the movie wasn't establishment enough that the movie was going to be as radically different as the sixth installment was from the seventh?

Well, the second movie finally deserved the "Final Fantasy" title.

Its pretty and very active but its completely awful because its nothing more than what the Japanese call "fan service". It's a big, loud follow-up to a game thats eight years past. Advent Children suffers from a plot thinner than your average slasher movie - its an excuse to see characters in high res renders and nothing more. The fact that they resurrect the villian from the original series (and in such a shameful way) cheapens the entire story the game had.

There is nothing good at all about Advent Children. It's the snot-nosed, redhaired stepchild clinging to the leg of something greater than it.

HOLY SHIT!! Someone who agrees with me about Advent Children! Anyway, if I come as bitter to FF7 fans, its mostly back in 99 they attcked FF8, which kind of bugs me to this day. (I can understand if you have an actual reason for not like FF8,but i'll blow up if some dumbass goes FF7 rockz Squall teh suckorz!111elevenfuckingty) Anyway, advent children is an annoying piece of trash that everyone , where I live, clings to, because it's FF7. Anyhow, i'm done for now. Feel free to shoot this post down, LeHah.

Here is something I just don't get. People pissed and moaned that The Spirits Within wasn't Final Fantasy enough? As if the nine games that came out prior to the movie wasn't establishment enough that the movie was going to be as radically different as the sixth installment was from the seventh?...

There is nothing good at all about Advent Children. It's the snot-nosed, redhaired stepchild clinging to the leg of something greater than it.

I've only ever played one or two FF games and that was after I saw the movie. I actually really really liked Spirits Within... until the horrible end, which is more that anything likely why it didn't do as well as it should have.

Advent Children on the other hand is a mess from the first frame. Unless you played the game it makes absolutely no sense and is full of those annoying rpg combat scenes - which work fine in a game - that make you wish you could just play it instead. Naratively the film is terrible. At least the DVD lets you review the story from the game it follows, before you watch it.

Advent Children was disgraceful. It got me to the point where I asked myself do I like the game anymore. The answer is no. Thanks Square.

Here is something I just don't get. People pissed and moaned that The Spirits Within wasn't Final Fantasy enough? As if the nine games that came out prior to the movie wasn't establishment enough that the movie was going to be as radically different as the sixth installment was from the seventh?

I rather enjoyed the FF movie, and really couldn't much understand why it was panned so much in movie circles. Then again, I'm sort of anti-critic in that if a critic hates a movie, chances are that I'll like it.

Speaking of the games, I liked FF8 more than FF7 mainly due to the fact that the MPs were gone. I liked the fact that you could call a GF as many times as you wanted to, and that came in ultra-handy when going up against a BigNasty who was ready to have you for lunch inside of a few seconds. I liked the Junction function and having the number of spells vs. magic points. Seems like you could run out of magic points rather quickly if you couldn't stock up on enough elixir's or get sleep anywhere, whereas the more spells you drew, the more power you had. It was tedious in the beginning of getting a new spell to draw up to 100, yes, but it made it different. The feel of the game was better, but that's just me.

What I liked about "FF: TSW"
-Impressive CG
-Some beatiful scenes
-Very cool vehicle design

What I didn't like about "FF: TSW"
-No fantasy, just scifi
-very very few FF elemtents, some names... that's it
-Aki didn't look like the typical FF characters... neither did the others
-The story
-The ending
-Less "eastern" than the games

What I liked about "FF: AC"
-Even more beautiful scenes
-Very well reworked characters ... almost perfect
-The reworked music... even better
-Sephiroth scene from FF7... ah, the memories
-Not too much interference with the original story
-Awesome sword fights

What I didn't like about "FF7: AC"
-Slightly too confusing storyparts
-Too sudden scene changes
-Some characters only appear for a few seconds
-Too much focus on mobile phones (probably due to "FF7: Before Crisis)

Somehow Advent Children left me more statisfied in the end.
The story wasn't great, but didn't interfere with the original story (I was afraid they might screw up here...).
I liked the fact that they didn't try to create FF7-2, but a small extra story to it.
Somewhat like the last part in LotR. I really liked that.

It was really nice to see the characters and locations from the game in movie quality too.
I don't really know why... I just liked it a lot.

@Chicken
A bit like WC: Arena, eh?

To defend both, I have to say, the fans wanted to see some spin-offs.

The story was probably the most dangerous part.
At least you can ignore it.
You still got the beautiful CG scenes and the battles.
My most favourite CG battle sqeunces atm. ;)

@Tigerhawk

You couldn't really use the GFs as much as you wanted. It had a negative effect on you SEED level afair.

Well I for one really liked Advent Children. I admit I wasn't to crazy about how the brought Sephiroth back but other than that it was great. Plus it's a nice bridge between FF7 and Dierge of Cerberus.

As for The Spirits Within not Final Fantasy enough....I kind of agree with that. I mean pretty much all the games to date have been a mixture of the midieval (swords, magic, bows, etc.) with modern or futuristic (airships, robots, spaceships, etc.). TSW was just straight futuristic. Also TSW was set on Earth of the future while all previous games have been set on different worlds.

I'm not saying TSW was bad, I'm just saying it's my least favorite FF story to date...with the possible exception of FF Tactics Advance.

But these are just my oppinions. Feel free to disregard them.

I am a huge fan of Final Fantasy, but I just thought The Spirits Within was a bad movie. It was a noble effort, but the focus seemed to be on the cgi and everything else suffered. I really, really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't.

I'm not a big FF fan, but to be fair FF7 fans have been screaming for any sort of follow up to the FF7 storyline for quite a while. I can't really fault Square Enix for just making a "fan service" movie. I know plenty of FF7 fans myself that all said it was exactly what they've been waiting for, besides an FF7 remake.

No offense to anyone, but as I said before in the other thread, Advent Children is a fucking disater from the first shot. Clouds whinny-ness is really just fucking lame, escially with the actuall ending of FF7, where he regained his confidence enough to kill sephiroth. But he apparently started feeling guilt and shame for letting Aeris/Aerith/ whatever/ Oh, and the loss of Zack , in both, is annoying as hell. (apparently, according to new matirel, Zack was kill by gunmen because he took a nearly fatal shot from a sniper. When in another scene, he took out four gun men without taking a scrath at point blank!)

Back