Favorite Cockpit

I actually like the Armada Cockpits.

I don't think anyone can disagree with you -- the Armada cockpits are awesome and possibly the high point of the cockpit years! You get ten cockpits which each have all four views (something never seen again!)... and that selection includes a great big variation in types: unique Kilrathi ships, neat two-seater perspectices (Kor-Lahr) and even ones where their crumminess becomes a gameplay element (Phantom!)

Anybody remember the Jratekh (Was that the name?) of the Wing Commander Academy game? I really liked that cockpit.

The Jrathek cockpit was in Armada, too (with more subdued colors.)

I just this morning found an amazing MYSTERY COCKPIT... but it's going to have to wait for a CIC update.

Edit: and some fond praise for the movie Rapier cockpit. Has anyone ever taken the time to look at the detailing they did on that thing? It's full of awesome switches and gauges and such that all have Wing Commander-appropriate futuristic descriptions.

Edit: and some fond praise for the movie Rapier cockpit. Has anyone ever taken the time to look at the detailing they did on that thing? It's full of awesome switches and gauges and such that all have Wing Commander-appropriate futuristic descriptions.

Thats my second favorite cockpit

The Jrathek cockpit was in Armada, too (with more subdued colors.)

One thing that bothered me about the Armada cockpits were that they all had the same Shield/Hull display ect. It just felt more immersive when all the cockpits where fully unique. It also made more sense since they were, IIRC made by different corporations. But I guess as a multiplayer game they would want it to be more standarized(sp?). That being said, Armada is my second or third favorite WC game.

I couldn't buy it when it was first released, and it's very hard to find old games around here.

There are sanctuaries for older games now days where they are allowed to run free and wild. It isn't as god originaly intended but old Dos games have a new home. Pick up a copy of Dosbox and allow Armada to run free in it's full majestic glory. Don't give up. :)

There are sanctuaries for older games now days where they are allowed to run free and wild. It isn't as god originaly intended but old Dos games have a new home. Pick up a copy of Dosbox and allow Armada to run free in it's full majestic glory. Don't give up. :)

The problem is that he doesn't *have* Armada and that it's hard to find old games in his country, not that he can't run it.

One of the things I missed in the latter games was cockpit damage. Seeing broken controls and wires sticking out really gave the impression that your fighter had taken a beating.

One of the things I missed in the latter games was cockpit damage. Seeing broken controls and wires sticking out really gave the impression that your fighter had taken a beating.

Further - I miss the VDUs taking damage the way they did in the first two WC games. While the exploding monitors were nice and all, there was something to be said about the VDU flickering and not working properly. (A purely asthetic perference on my part)

Further - I miss the VDUs taking damage the way they did in the first two WC games. While the exploding monitors were nice and all, there was something to be said about the VDU flickering and not working properly. (A purely asthetic perference on my part)

Definitely. I remember several WC2 missions where I frantically pounded on the c key in order to open a comm message just so I could get permission to land while my VDUs were going haywire. It definitely added to the experience.

Back