Family Guy - Innocent or Guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, from an actors point of view, I think the show is brilliant. The randomness (if that's a word) is really on my wavelength. I've seen just about all of them and it occured to me that episodes have a couple of different 'effects' on viewers (viewers that like it anyway), the first being to make you have a hysterical laughing fit. The other, when a character says something that makes you think "what the hell was that about?" or "I don't get it." But these things I accept
I don't think it's fair to say that people who appreciate it are socially handicapped because as individuals, people like what they like, each to their own etc. In a way, saying that is kind of like saying someones gay because they like Star Trek.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, because everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I respect that. I just wanted to voice my own opinions and observations, and maybe stand up a little for a show I quite like.

I disagree. I still laugh my ass off at Looney Tunes.
Yeah, Wile E. Coyote will never not be funny.
The randomness (if that's a word) is really on my wavelength.
lulz ur so randum
I don't think it's fair to say that people who appreciate it are socially handicapped because as individuals, people like what they like, each to their own etc.
Massive cop-out.
In a way, saying that is kind of like saying someones gay because they like Star Trek.
In no way is it anything like that.
I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, because everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I respect that.
Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and you should respect that entitlement, but not the opinions themselves which can be horrendously stupid, and certainly not the morons with stupid opinions. You're electing to bail out on making judgements because you don't want to upset anybody, but some people aren't worth keeping happy.
I just wanted to voice my own opinions and observations, and maybe stand up a little for a show I quite like.
Fair enough, but I think you have bad taste.

I'm a fan of the newer episodes moreso than the older ones. Granted, there's nothing great about the series at all. When it first started it was a rip-off of The Simpsons; when it was brought back it was pop culture references and running gags that last the rest of the series.

That being said; I actually like the pop culture references. Perhaps it's because I like what they do with all of the movies and TV shows that I saw years ago (I completely forgot the Sesame Street pinball animation - my eyes lit up when I saw them do it). At the same time, I might like the pop culture stuff because I know more useless trivia than my roommates do, so I get to have a good laugh at something when the rest of the room won't get the joke.

So yeah. I think it's entertaining for the 30 minutes it's on, but it isn't a great show by any means. Unless you're in high school or a dumbass frat boy.

He is horribles, Toki! He just make the reference. "Remember this? Remember that?" He is dildo.

Personally, from an actors point of view, I think the show is brilliant.

Thats good, because in a world with people like Lindsay Lohan and Colin Farrell, actors are obviously vapid. I'm as interested in their opinion on genius as I am in your opinion on humor.

Smoking Kills said:
I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, because everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I respect that.

"Everyone has the right to an informed opinion."

I don't know what Family Guy has to do with it, but the pinball song is the greatest thing ever!

In whatever episode it was in, Stewie got some sort of illness so he had to walk around in a plastic ball all day. In one scene he rolls up to Peter and Lois and does one of those "You think you've had a long day," kind of things, and then it cut to the Sesame Street pinball thing with Stewie in his ball as the pinball.

I'm of the opinion that Family Guy was funny and entertaining before it was canceled. After it came back it was only half the show it was before. It used to have somewhat clever "main-plots" with random and somewhat creative non sequiturs.

Now, more often then not, its "main-plots" are weak, sometimes to the point where I forget what the show is about. There are too many uninteresting non sequiturs, they pull a pop culture reference out of there ass and just expect it to be funny (At least a show like Robot Chicken will work with Pop Culture references to make them funny). And the best jokes are just running gags from previous episodes that are starting to wear thin. When they came back they seemed to want to rely more on shock value then good writing (X star is a douchebag, Y religion sucks, Z person and everyone who ever liked him is evil). Its like they wanted to be South Park without the cleverness (and I don't think South Park is really that clever).

Every now and then they reach way up into their colon and pull out a half-way decent episode, but its far from where it started from. IMO Seth MacFarlane's old Larry and Steve cartoons are better then most of the new Family Guy episodes.

Thats good, because in a world with people like Lindsay Lohan and Colin Farrell, actors are obviously vapid. I'm as interested in their opinion on genius as I am in your opinion on humor.

Must've struck a nerve eh? However I strongly disagree with the word vapid, as performers, we appreciate ideas and the imagianation involved to create them, without such things, entertainment wouldn't exist. I appreciate family guy for that same reason, and for it's way of making me laugh histerically in such an abstract manner that a lot of the time doesn't make any sense.

I don't expect you to understand this from my point of view, but considering the show has aired six seasons, 'Stewie Griffin the Untold Story,' fairly recently released 'Blue Harvest' and has 'Something, Something, Something Dark Side' on the way, they must be doing something right, otherwise they would've called it quits a long time ago.

So I wouldn't say us actors are vapid, we just see things from a different perspective, which from the sound of things is a lot more optimistic.

Must've struck a nerve eh?

"Oh, stop beating your chest, you're going to bruise it"

However I strongly disagree with the word vapid, as performers, we appreciate ideas and the imagianation involved to create them, without such things, entertainment wouldn't exist.

circlejerk.gif

I appreciate family guy for that same reason, and for it's way of making me laugh histerically in such an abstract manner that a lot of the time doesn't make any sense.

So you're laughing at something you don't understand.

I think you just admitted to being that awkward guy no one talks to at parties because he laughs at everything people say.

I don't expect you to understand this from my point of view, but considering the show has aired six seasons, 'Stewie Griffin the Untold Story,' fairly recently released 'Blue Harvest' and has 'Something, Something, Something Dark Side' on the way, they must be doing something right, otherwise they would've called it quits a long time ago.

Heres the difference between Family Guy and something really great, like Futurama.

Futurama had a great episode where Zoidberg had to go back to his planet to find a mate. When he had to fight Fry in an arena battle - the arena's organist plays the battle music composed by Sol Kaplan from the original Star Trek episode "Amok Time", where Spock had to fight Kirk in a Pon Farr mating ceremony.

Thats an understanding of material - since it has a reference and applies it to its story and situation and characters.

Family Guy puts in Rick Astley because people on the internet think thats funny.

But I don't expect you to understand this.

Y'know, I had decided not to say all of this, because it wasn't yet justified, but I think that now it is.

I see this conversation about to take a bad turn. I say this as advice to anyone who wants to argue with LeHah, or try to persuade him to see any side of the issue other than his own, so that we may avoid another flame battle.

Don't feed the troll.

You should've stuck to your other song and dance of "I have nothing to add to this conversation, please delete my posts" because everyone else enjoyed that.

Beyond that - I responded to him pointing out how he was wrong. If you think thats trolling, you need to log off the internet and never, ever come back.

So you're laughing at something you don't understand.

I think you just admitted to being that awkward guy no one talks to at parties because he laughs at everything people say.

Heres the difference between Family Guy and something really great, like Futurama.

Futurama had a great episode where Zoidberg had to go back to his planet to find a mate. When he had to fight Fry in an arena battle - the arena's organist plays the battle music composed by Sol Kaplan from the original Star Trek episode "Amok Time", where Spock had to fight Kirk in a Pon Farr mating ceremony.

Thats an understanding of material - since it has a reference and applies it to its story and situation and characters.

Family Guy puts in Rick Astley because people on the internet think thats funny.

But I don't expect you to understand this.

Matey, just because something doesn't make sense doesn't mean it's incomprehensible, secondly I've just come back from a night out and I was far from the conclusion you arrived at oh so prematurely. Anyway, who the hell are you to pass judgement on people because they like something you don't or they have a differing viewpoint to you? Socially handicapped and talented retarded? What a load of bollocks.

I think you've just admitted to being quite arrogant and dismissive of other peoples likes and opinions because they don't conform to yours. I also think you are a closed minded individual, probably the perfect maths teacher, hey maybe one day you'll be a REAL accountant.

One last thing, yes I'm familiar with the episodes of Futurama and Star Trek you're referring to, both of which I thought were good and the scene in question did make me laugh, I'm not however sad enough to know who composed the music.

I've seen right through you sunshine, and I'm laughing. Shine on you crazy diamond!

Anyway, who the hell are you to pass judgement on people because they like something you don't or they have a differing viewpoint to you?

Having an opposing viewpoint isn't a problem. Having a stupid viewpoint is a problem.

You have a problem. Possibly a very serious one. Only time will tell if its malignant.

Matey, just because something doesn't make sense doesn't mean it's incomprehensible, secondly I've just come back from a night out and I was far from the conclusion you arrived at oh so prematurely. Anyway, who the hell are you to pass judgement on people because they like something you don't or they have a differing viewpoint to you? Socially handicapped and talented retarded? What a load of bollocks.

I think you've just admitted to being quite arrogant and dismissive of other peoples likes and opinions because they don't conform to yours. I also think you are a closed minded individual, probably the perfect maths teacher, hey maybe one day you'll be a REAL accountant.

One last thing, yes I'm familiar with the episodes of Futurama and Star Trek you're referring to, both of which I thought were good and the scene in question did make me laugh, I'm not however sad enough to know who composed the music.

I've seen right through you sunshine, and I'm laughing. Shine on you crazy diamond!

You didn't listen to me, did you? ::sigh::

Enjoy your flamewar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back