End Run Cover

Of course I am. . . though, safety harnesses on seats would come in handy for just such emergencies, now wouldn't they?

According to Freedom Flight, there are harnesses in the fighters . . but, then again, there are harnesses in modern day fighters, already.

Pilots in smaller craft have safety harnesses. And all of the ships in the movie have belts, even the Tiger Claw. Did any of the books mention belts on capital craft?

The Leech gun (and missile) is misnamed. It doesn't drain power, but sends a power surge through the target's electronics systems. Theory would say antigrav is also zotted, but we're not given the inside view of leeched ships to know for sure whether gravity is off when ship systems are zotted offline.

As for the seatbelt thing, gravity controls aren't responsible for keeping people from getting squashed during acceleration. Protection against accelerations is provided by inertial dampeners (which also give fighters handling similar to atmospheric aircraft, baring special features like autoslide). In one of the novels (I think ER, but not sure... maybe FF) there's a comment from one of the fighter pilots that the dampener doesn't act instantaneously, so pilots will feel themselves jerked around some as they maneuver, from their ship going one way while inertia keeps the pilot's body going on its previous vector, until the dampener catches up.

overmortal said:
Of course I am. . .
I was actually referring to the fact that even with seatbelts, with the acceleration/vector changes of the capships (much less a fighter) you would probably still be turned into chunky salsa in the back of your seat (which doesn't make sense when that big warning flashes on your VDU in WC1 that your inertial dampeners have been destroyed ;) ).

Scoops do cause your fighter to manuever as it would in air, but I'm not sure why that was brought up.

C-ya

WC4 Novel mentions that 'gravity control' is important to avoid the aforementioned 'strawberry jam' effect with serious maneuvering. I'm not sure if they tie the inertial dampers to this, but we do know in End Run that Tarawa's damage did cause her dampers to lag. Artificial gravity, at the least, keeps people from floating in the middle of the air, which reduces the effect of a sudden vector change on their bodies, as they've got some 'resistance' due to a downward force already being exerted on them, providing some inertia that needs to be overcome before they can move in another direction.

Back