Dreadnoughts

Most? AFAIK, only the Confederation-class, the H'varkann-class and the Tiamat-class are classified as dreadnoughts.

dictionary.reference.com said:
A British battleship, completed in 1906 -- 1907, having an armament consisting of ten 12-inch guns, and of twenty-four 12-pound quick-fire guns for protection against torpedo boats. This was the first battleship of the type characterized by a main armament of big guns all of the same caliber. She has a displacement of 17,900 tons at load draft, and a speed of 21 knots per hour.

Well, okay.

But really, classes are just labels. I personally don't attach that much meaning to them.

As far as I recall, 'dreadnoughts' of WWI and WWII were mostly battleship which had huge guns all of the same calibre, versus more 'normal' battleships which carried a variety of gun sizes for their armament. In common parlance, they seem to refer more to ships which are designed to be extremely gun-heavy, sacrificing maneuverability and speed for firepower.

"Supership" is inherent in the definition of dreadnought, even in naval terms.

IIRC, the only thing special about the Kilrathi dreadnought in the losing Sol system mission (WC3) was its size and shielding. It took me the better part of half an hour to toast that monster! Haven't tackled it in years though...it's not much fun playing the losing/doomed path..

""Supership" is inherent in the definition of dreadnought, even in naval terms."

Not really, the term was coined when the HMS Dreadnought was introduced and it simply meant a battleship with all big guns. Since it was a new idea at the time, it was a supership (although quickly outdated). The name itself means fear nothing, but in naval terms it just referred to battleships that mounted all large caliber guns.

Also, the term super-dreadnought was coined when they made the Queen Elizabeth class, so that would be like, super duper ship?

Dreadnoughts were also very heavily armored (as opposed to battlecruisers wich carried same armament but had very thin armor), but at a cost of speed and manuverability. This class of ships was very shortlived, from 1906 (comissioning of HMS Dreadnought) to the end of WWI. New battleship designs were combination of dreadnoughts and battlecruisers. Confederation class ships (like Concordia) may have been classified as dreadnoughts for its heavy shields and armor (and PTC cannon).

Confederation-class ships also had 8 (IIRC) AMGs, which along with their fighters would make them pretty potent offensive platforms even without the PTC. (That the games tend to ignore those AMGs in cutscenes isn't relevant to the issue. :p )

I have a few questions.

First of all, I've never been really clear on this. Approximately how big was the Behemoth?

Second, how many anti-matter guns and laser turrtes did the Kilrathi dreadnaught from WC3 have on it?

Finally, in pure speculation how many guns and what kind of guns do you think the Behemoth would have had on it if it was completed?

According to the CIC database, the dreadnought has 15 laser turrets and possible additional (classified) weapons. It doesn't have any anti-matter guns though, IIRC.

How the heck did the kilrathi build that thing, I mean it's 74,580 feet long wich is about 14 miles long. I mean where could they build it?

Many carrier drydocks and support stations were planetary-based, so on the ground they'd have all the space they needed to create a vessel of any size.

i would say aroung 10-12 dual laser turrets for the behemoth, as there was not enough time to add more

According to the CIC database, the dreadnought has 15 laser turrets and possible additional (classified) weapons. It doesn't have any anti-matter guns though, IIRC.

I'm not sure why the CIC database says that -- Victory Streak will tell you that the dreadnaught has 38 laser turrets. There's also four 'unsimulated' big guns at the ships maw, and a 'planetary bombardment missile' launcher from False Colors (as well as dozens-to-hundreds of point defense turrets).

How the heck did the kilrathi build that thing, I mean it's 74,580 feet long wich is about 14 miles long. I mean where could they build it?

Hmm, yeah, where could they get the... space? :)

Back