DosBox help

Jacob

Rear Admiral
Hey all,

I just downloaded DosBox today after I felt the need to play some Star Wars: Dark Forces. A year ago I had my C drive wiped (mistake), and it used to run fine on that without any problems. Why, I don't know.

So I did what I did last time: just drag the files into the C drive. No problem there. Except for some reason it wouldn't start this time. So I go off and download DosBox.

I'm not a techie. The whole thing might as well be written in a foreign language, 'cause I sure as all hell have no clue what I'm doing. According to the program, I have to mount the C drive along with the director that it's in (DARK).

So I enter in the line "mount C C:\Dark\" and apparently it's mounted. So where do I go from here?

After downloading D-Fend, it's giving me the same message (when I load Dark Forces) as it did without DosBox: "Unable to load Local.MSG"

I should've mentioned that in my first post.

Edit: I've found the Local.MSG file, and it appears that my computer believes that it is an Outlook file. Could this be why it isn't working? How can I make it so that Outlook won't recognize it?

For a start, you need to realize that DOSbox is - very simply put - an aid to get DOS games to run under Windows. If your games did run in Windows before, or are Windows versions anyway, DOSbox won't help you.

Second, please tell us a bit about your computer. What Windows version is on it, what's the processor speed, memory, graphics card, etc.
If those terms don't tell you anything, sell your computer and get a girlfriend.

Thirdly, DOSbox isn't easy to use. It emulates the environment for a game, which means it does a lot to trick your game into believing that the computer runs DOS, while it doesn't. That means a bit of tweaking, pushing buttons and entering commands. Hurleybird's hint about D-Fend may be helpful, as D-Fend is a visual help to do the buttonpushing, but to get an understanding about what you may need to do depending on which game you want to run, take a look at: https://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml
It's about getting Wing Commander games to run, but the principles are the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
maniac89 said:
Read a turotial :)

Don't post messages like this if you're not going to provide any help. You just look like a jerk who can't even spell tutorial.

Jacob said:
After downloading D-Fend, it's giving me the same message (when I load Dark Forces) as it did without DosBox: "Unable to load Local.MSG"

I should've mentioned that in my first post.

Edit: I've found the Local.MSG file, and it appears that my computer believes that it is an Outlook file. Could this be why it isn't working? How can I make it so that Outlook won't recognize it?

That's completely irrelevant if you're talking about an old dos version of a game trying to run in DOSBOx. You need to understand that the game is trying to find the file. So find out where it is, make sure that the location is visible within dosbox, and make sure any configuration or install files that the game has are set up to point to the location.

My computer:

Graphics card: nVidia TNT (I know...)
I've got a total of 56 GB of memory, with around 4 GB available
I've got around 250 MB of RAM
It's got a Pentium III processor, but I don't know what speed it runs at.

The "Local.MSG" file is in the same folder as the rest of the Dark Forces files. I don't recall having to move it somewhere else on the computer the last time I had it going, but that was a few years ago.

Edit before this even gets posted: I don't know why it started working all of a sudden, but it did. So I guess problem solved.

Edit again: Thanks to all who responded.

Back