Dosbox and WC2 on CD

climber

Spaceman
Here is a quick question.

I have dosbox and wanted to play wc2 using it. Now, I have the CD version where the bat and exe files are on the CD and it writes gamedat to the hard drive. I have mounted both the c:\origin2 file and the d:\ so that it will refer. However, it is telling me that it cannot open some file in write mode from the CD and is asking me to remove write protection. Now, obviously a CD cannot be written to like that so how do I get it to work. It is the EA classics version of WC2. Tried the privateer and cos the exe is on the harddisk there is not the same problem

and help would be much appreciated.

Have you mounted the d: drive as CD-rom? No idea how that would explain your prob, but some versions of wc are very strange anyway :S
Another question: Did you have such problems before in pure dos? Or did you try to play this wc2 version for the first time? - If it worked before, the cd-rom thingy might really help.
But that's just guessing...

I myself copied all the files to the harddrive manually (diff. version: it's a wc1 - wc2 combo) and that worked, if I remember correctly - It's quite some time since I installed it ;)

EDIT: IF you don't know the cd-rom mount command, here it is:
mount D D:\ -t cdrom
Good luck :)

I've been playing around with the same situation to various results - the most satisfying one was to copy the whole WC2 CD to the harddisk, and to mount the folder as CD-ROM drive (otherwise my CDROM stuttered, and broke off sometimes)

If this helps, the last lines to set up DOSbox to get it running were:
mount C: D:\Temp
mount D: D:\Programs\wc2 -t cdrom
loadfix -32

nice work chaps, that worked really well. I am impressed that you were able to sort fo that out for me. Now, is there anyway to get dosbox to do full screen or at least slightly larger than it is currently doing?

Yes.
There are to ways: Either Press "Alt+Enter" like in the normal windows dos shell to go full screen.
Or change the following line at the very top of the dosbox.conf file:
From fullscreen=false
to: fullscreen=true

Have fun ;)

If all that leads to confusion, get D-Fend - a pretty good windows frontend for DOSbox which makes tweaking the config for old games a lot easier.

Back