DOS Box 6.whatever

ncman0061

Spaceman
Ok I'm slow on the up take.....When someone asked if I was using DOS BOX, I assume they meant the common dos prompt. Where can I get this DOS BOX??? and how much is it?

I hate to show my own stuipidity, but once installed it gives me a "z" drive. I can't access anything else.......what's next

Ok after diabling the sound, it works....so obviously its the sound card or game capatability problem...how do I fix it?

Here is a quote from another Thread that might help you:
Originally Posted by commche
Well, I downloaded DOSbox, mounted the WCpriv dir as c. Installed with SB settings and then ran it 'PRIV'

I got a whole lot of distorted colored vertical lines at the top, then these error messages came up before terminating altogether.

pagefault didn't correct table - on the normal XP dos screen

program halted by code D002-FFFF - on the DOSbox screen

old technology and new don't mix very well.

I also can't get Battlecruiser 300ad or Millenium to work on XP.

I suspect it has something to do with NVIDIA!!!!!

any ideas, gurus?

That happened to me, but then I ran Privateer's install program and choose normal Soundblaster for both music and speech (IRQ 7) and it worked, although ran incredibly slowly.
The slowness he mentioned is cause of a too slow CPU, and has nothing to do with the prob itself. Just mention it, if you get confused by it ;)

Hopefully helping the computer novices out there.

Right okay well, then

Privateer is available for download form a site known as the

http://www.the-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

go to the site, type search privateer, it will give you a list of privateer, privateer RF, and Privateer 2.

For the time being lets focus on privateer

Download this file, which is in .zip format, that means it has been compressed and you need a program such a winzip to extract it.

Once you have this file and a program to unzip it with unzip it. Put all the files in a folder that you call "priv" make sure it is located on the c: drive or hard drive of your computer.

This will make it easier to find when you later try to run it.

To get these files running on XP you now need a free program called Dos Box is can be found and downloaded from this site:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1

If you are running windows then choose:

Windows version 0.61 Win32 installer

Once again this will take you to a site which has a number of places which you can download the files from choose on that is close to you as this will make the download faster.

You should now have a program called:
DOSBox0.61-win32-installer.exe

Open this program and install it.
In you're all programs folder you will have a listing for DosBox0.61 as well as a notepad documnet called DosBox.conf

To get privateer to run you need to change some of the text in this file,
In "Dosbox.conf" you will see a line that says "ems=true". Set this line to "ems=false" (It's supposed to need EMS, but in the emulator window it will freeze and fail to run)

If you can't immediatly see the line "ems=true", scroll down or use "find" in the notepad menu to locate this line. All you want to chage is the word "true" to "false". Make sure there are no extra spaces and do not include the inverted commas "".

Save.

Now open the DosBox program, those of you that are not familiar with Dos will find this a bit scary. Don't worry. At the moment the program is not reading from you're "C" drive you want to change this.

Mount the program directory like so type:

mount c c:\priv

DosBox will then tell you "Drive C mounted as local directory c:\priv\"

Remember earlier I told you that you need to make sure that all the privateer files were in a folder located at c:\priv, this is why.
For example, if your c drive had a directory called priv where privateer is, it would show up.

Now, type c:

to switch to the virtual c:\priv drive.

Okay now you want to run the install program, type:

install

This should open a blue screen with a series of options regarding sound and music settings, what you want to do is to ensure that the sound blaster setting is
set correctly to allow privateer to run.

Move to change music card and press enter.
Choose "Soundblaster"
Of available IRQ's choose "7"

Move to change speech card and press enter.
Choose "Soundblaster"
Of available ports choose "220"
Of available IRQ's choose "7"

Install with these options.

This will take you back to the DosBox screen, type priv

Oh shit you've got some wierd blue and white mess on you're screen, don't fret just wait patiently. About three minutes or so.

Can you hear the music?
If so it probably sounds jerky, the animation will also be a bit jumpy. Advice given suggests that if you hold "control" and "f12" that this will up the CPU cycles and correct the slow speed until it runs smoothly.

In my own experience the frame-rate and music were not altered by this.
The game runs...........slow, really slow.

I'm not sure what's worse, not being able to run the game on XP or finally getting so close that you can get it running, only to have it running so slow that it virtually un-playable.

Admittedly I am running this on a Laptop, Pentium 3, 497Mhz with 128 Ram, which has a 4gig hard drive clogged with MP3's but please if anyone has any ideas on how to get this old classic running at a playable speed, I will love you forever.

At least this guide will get everyone else to my standing point of frustration.

The Black Onyx.

Rumour has it that the next version of DosBox (out... sometime soon hopefully) will allow Priv to be run at a playable speed. I'm not sure if that will include specs under 1GHz however. Personally I was unable to get WC1 working playably with my PII350 and priv probably needs more in the way of system resources.

I'm told that people with very high spec PCs (well over 2GHz and beyond) have been able to run Priv at a reasonable speed. Personally, I 'm running a 2600 Athlon XP with 512MB of RAM which should be plenty for this kind of thing but gameplay is pretty much impossible for me too. Also, mouse support is not yet implemented with Priv (at least not for gameplay) which takes a lot of the fun out of playing it.

So cross your fingers and hope for DosBox 0.62!

Also, mouse support is not yet implemented with Priv (at least not for gameplay) which takes a lot of the fun out of playing it.
Hmm. I'm not sure, but I could swear, that I can play it with mouse as well. But I use the joystick anyway (for flying). Will check that when I'm back home ;)
And yes, it only runs with faster PCs. But normally it should work with your 2600+ - You might want to try to also higher the frameskip setting to let say 3 or 4. This way one guy got it running with his 2000+ CPU ;)

Back