Concept Sketch Combines Different Kilrathi Elements (March 11, 2006)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
NinjaLA has teamed up with AD to sketch out some concept soldiers for the Half Life 2 project. He's inked the first design and it's looking pretty sharp.

I decided to start with a Kilrathi. This image is a compilation of concepts from Wing Commander II, Wing Commander III and the Wing Commander movie. The face draws heavily from the WC II style of artwork (mostly Thrakhath) with body proportions taken from Hobbes in Wing Commander 3. The armor is heavily derived from the combat armor worn by the Kilrathi grunts.

All told I spent about 8 hours yesterday on various sketches of Kilrathi to get it to have the right feeling. This particular image was created by drawing half a Kilrathi and then mirroring the image to make it properly proportioned for use by a 3d modeler. I should be producing a few more Kilrathi sketches and a couple of Confed Marines as well.

NinjaLA A.K.A. Alex Von Tolmacsy

--
Original update published on March 11, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
If anybody has any hints for the rest of them.. I intend to do 3 more kilrathi sketches, and 4 confed sketches.

also, if anybody has any modeling eperience in Half Life 2 formats I'd be interested to see what you can come up with.

I've heared that a couple of times now.. gonna have to revisit WC1 for images then. Also.. I think a kilrathi priestess and a thrakhath skin would be appropriate.

all I know for sure on the confed side is: confed marine, hangar bay mechanic (since it is a hangar HL2 Level) and maybe a "Bluehair" and Maniac skin?

Personally, I wouldn't suggest going for skins of specific characters, like Thrak, Blair, or Maniac. I mean, a bunch of the Confed equivalent of redshirts running around, sure, but do we really need 10000 Blair clones running around? :p

As for the priestess, if it's put in I can see someone trying to hack the skin to give a nude version. :D

Ninja's drawings are really great, And I really appreciate him working with me on this. I hate to be a wet blanket though, but I feel a need to point out that regarding the current scope of the HL2 mod, the specific and immediate needs have and are being discussed (mostly over IRC). We really apreciate any suggestions and comments about the style and detail. However I really don't want any of you expecting every last kind of character and species included here.

Like Ninja said, the basic types of skins have already been discussed. As is, the initial MP map beta release may not even have these modeled and ready to use (don't speculate on release dates just yet as I have a bit to go on my movie project), and after that we'll be concentrating on getting at least one each for confed and Kilrah (most likely the marine skin) done. Past that, they will be styled along the linea of what has already been outlined

Our biggest need regarding this is for comments and suggestions about the style and various details of the character models.

Ninja though would probably be happy to draw just about any WC character, so feel free to suggest things that he can draw if he feels like it. Of course if the suggestion is good enough it might be seriously considered.

see if you can come up with a couple of firekan characters as well, while i would be called on to play kilrathi more than likely, theres deffinately a use for a firekan model as well.

Some idea's?

Well most MP games these days have classes so....

Confed Light - Pilot model
Confed Medium - WC3 Marine model
Confed Heavy - WC1 Commando model (those red berets from the cutscenes)

Kilrathi Light - Pilot model (Academy looking pilots uniform maybe?)
Kilrathi Medium - WC3 Guard model (or your concept Ninja thats looking pretty mean ;) )
Kilrathi Heavy - Armoured Trooper (Drakhai?) model (think firekka cutscenes)

Just some ideas to keep the ball rolling. Hope you lot find it helpful.

Aplha 1-1 said:

I don't really know how class type would work with this. But it's an interesting concept. Though I do tend to prefer Deathmatch and Counterstrike to Day of Defeat, though once I got the hang of it DOD: source was a lot of fun too. So I would need to consider what exactly we're doing with this thing. Initialy the first map will be deathmatch, but could probably easily be released at the same time for CS. So to start, there won't be classes. In some kind of single player campaign mod or Co-op game, classes might be viable.

Pilot model - already planed but will be done after marine model
WC3 Marine model - will be the first confed model
WC1 Commando model (those red berets from the cutscenes) - interesting idea

Armoured Trooper (Drakhai?) model (think firekka cutscenes) - will have to take a look at those again

there is a pretty good Firekkan pic on the victory path.. I could probably be convinced to work something up.

Yeah for some reason the few pics I had in mind wont work so.....bugger.
The exact drakhai armour i was thinking of is the white/red striped version from the losing path of the firekkan campaign.

Playing similar to CS sounds pretty fun too.......Going in with a small squad to "liberate" a few scientists ;)

NinjaLA said:
there is a pretty good Firekkan pic on the victory path.. I could probably be convinced to work something up.

I keep getting images of 30 big bird from sesame street clones running around a map with guns and a bullet strip over their shoulders. Its a pretty hilarious thought, but ultimately I feel that in a MP game, this is just uncool.

I just can't see wanting to see a bunch of sentient ostriches running around. Prove me wrong Ninja! Prove me wrong.:)

I suppose you could start with a few different Kilrathi soldiers. Since they have lots of ranks, you could choose 2 or 3, and go with the "soldier', "technician" and "officer" FPS conventions.

NinjaLA said:
here is the first drawing of a confederation marine

confed001.jpg

I should add that this marine is the inital version and is undergoing revisions, and any suggestions are welcome. As is, the armor will most likely be softened and a neck guard added, possibly making it look slightly lighter.

Aplha 1-1 said:
Some idea's?

Confed Light - Pilot model
Confed Medium - WC3 Marine model
Confed Heavy - WC1 Commando model (those red berets from the cutscenes)

Kilrathi Light - Pilot model (Academy looking pilots uniform maybe?)
Kilrathi Medium - WC3 Guard model (or your concept Ninja thats looking pretty mean ;) )
Kilrathi Heavy - Armoured Trooper (Drakhai?) model (think firekka cutscenes)

Just some ideas to keep the ball rolling. Hope you lot find it helpful.
Actually for Confed Hvy. didn't the red berets not have any armor? I think that the marine and commando should be switched.

Lt.Death100 said:
Actually for Confed Hvy. didn't the red berets not have any armor? I think that the marine and commando should be switched.

Right, the red beret folks weren't armored. See the winning version of the cutscene regarding the Mopoks (from which I think a screen shot has been posted, but I'm too lazy to search it up right now :p ).

Back