Buying older games

MagicAlex

Spaceman
I just ordered Wing Commander Prophecy off of Amazon.com (after "previewing" the GBA version on an emulator) and I was just wondering who, around here, has recently bought an older game. Has anyone bought any software from the vendors on WCNews's "Where To Buy" page? Are they reliable (at least, more reliable than E-Bay)?

Did you know that Id Software still sells Commander Keen? You can pay $15 and download it off of their website. I know that Origin has gone out of business, but couldn't they set up a similar system so that people who still want to buy these games can reward the developers directly? Believe it or not, given the options of downloading the games for free and paying a fee to download from Origin I would actually take the latter method.

Origin has not "gone out of business." The original Origin building in Austin was closed, but everything they are and were is and has been owned by Electronic Arts for thirteen years. Id and Commander Keen is a real exception. Paying them for it online is a novelty that someone at Id thought they'd try. It's not a proven method of making catalog sales available. Of course we would all pay Origin and download Wing Commander games, but several thousand people don't make up a real market on EA's level. If you have a particular question about a vendor linked from somewhere, let us know. eBay isn't unreliable however, and that's primarily where most people get their Wing Commander stuff.

Back