Bring a WC wingman to SQ42

My Picks per game would have to be:
WC 1: Hunter, 1st runner up Iceman, 2nd runner up Spirit
WC 2: Angel, 1st runner up Stingray, 2nd runner up Doomsday
WC 3: Hobbes, 1st runner up Vaquero, 2nd runner up Cobra
WC 4: Vagabond, 1st runner up Panther, 2nd runner up Hawk
WCP: Maniac, 1st runner up Maestro, 2nd runner up Spider

I ultimately turned down both women - my Blair is not interested in finding a cheap replacement for Angel so quickly after learning of her death.

This is actually the most pragmatic option. Aside from the entertainment value of seeing your character have a love interest, choosing a girlfriend is but a perfunctory waste of time. It makes the game harder. I find it quite funny really, that the only time in any Wing Commander title where you have a say in Blair's romantic interests is portrayed as a tough balancing act and shows women as utterly needy and childish if rejected.

That said, as a 15 year old I found the whole thing rather thrilling, and that's exactly why it's in there.

I agree it was too soon after Angel though; especially after Blair had spent the whole time on the Victory moping and pining for her - then Thrak tells you she's dead and suddenly it's all history, so let's rock on with that hot blonde mechanic. I guess he could have just been seeking rebound solace.

A classier outcome would have been to seek a love interest in IV, I was certain he was going to end up with Panther and it was refreshing that he didn't.

I'm sorry for taking this thread so far off topic.

Last edited:
This is actually the most pragmatic option. Aside from the entertainment value of seeing your character have a love interest, choosing a girlfriend is but a perfunctory waste of time. It makes the game harder. I find it quite funny really, that the only time in any Wing Commander title where you have a say in Blair's romantic interests is portrayed as a tough balancing act and shows women as utterly needy and childish if rejected.

That said, as a 15 year old I found the whole thing rather thrilling, and that's exactly why it's in there.

I agree it was too soon after Angel though; especially after Blair had spent the whole time on the Victory moping and pining for her - then Thrak tells you she's dead and suddenly it's all history, so let's rock on with that hot blonde mechanic. I guess he could have just been seeking rebound solace.

A classier outcome would have been to seek a love interest in IV, I was certain he was going to end up with Panther and it was refreshing that he didn't.

I'm sorry for taking this thread so far off topic.
no I agree with both of yall too, I loved the option bc it was cool as a teenager. I liked flint my only problem with her was I felt like there was not enough warm moments between her and blair, mostly confrontational, while rachel and blair had at least some tender moments when talking about old flames of theirs. but as both of yall said it was too soon after angel's death, although in blair's defense he probably thought he was going to die out there on kilrah so he might as well get one last kiss or "bone" in lol jk.

I'm not entirely sure why I thought it was funny anymore, but I figured at the time it was great to go around and change the backgrounds on all the computers in the school computer lab to the pic of Blair and Flint kissing (It was one of the official screenshots from the origin website back in the day). It was cool at the time to have a say *at all* so I think to a degree there was a bit of novelty to it all but I really can't say I was ever emotionally invested in either. However I think that was kind of also the point. Both relationships seem to lack the foundations of any kind of real long term romance. Blair litterally just finds out about angel and hops right into a new situation where both women have baggage? (Flint and Locanda... Rachel and her "missing" boyfriend). You only do that when you don't feel like processing your own emotions and would rather just ignore them by throwing yourself into a new relationship. In many ways, picking either is not much different than choosing to just keep drinking.

AD, you make a very good point about the lessons WC3 teaches its player. Never really thought about it like that but it makes a lot of sense - if you look at it that way, the love-interest stuff ceases to be so cheesy and becomes something more.

My Wingman choice: Primate. Second pick would be Seether (if he follows my orders.. mostly for his invincibility)

Last edited:
Back