Asteroid Belts

Specialk

Spaceman
Alright, this is possibly nearly uselsess bitching, but ... the asteroid belts are far too dense... and you can't destroy the asteroids like you could in the original. The asteroids also don't move in the direction you're travelling in... so you'll think you're in the clear, and suddenly you've got an asteroid travelling straight down from out of your field of vision and colliding with your shields.

Like I said, at least you could shoot them in the original...

I guess that's impossible at the moment as they said and would require some major changes done to the game engine.

Using my afterburner on my demon I go through them at 1200 and only get hit by one asteroid every 5 or so runs through them. What's the problem?

well having asteroids hitting you from the down is very realistic things. As you do nto know the orbit of all the asteroids. It's kinda chaotic... although i guess when it will be possible the Team will make them destructable.

IIRC, in the original privateer there were nav points on the outside of the belt in Pendar's Star so that it was possible to navigate around it. Not in the new version, though, apparently. :-P

Well it can't be that hard to navigate through asteroid belt in Remake, because they don't do as much damage either as in original :) You can even use yor afterburners without bigger worries.

But if being too scared to enter an asteroid field, why not go around it? It's relatively simple even without nav points. What would be the idea of asteroid fields anyway if you can just autopilot around them, eh?

Back in my day, on the Super Nintendo, a single asteroid hit resulted in instant death. Pilots learned real quick to avoid those things at all costs. I was quite surprised the first time I tried DOS WC1 and survived a hit.

I guess that could happen due to the shield. It could be especially made for such things and got enough power to bounce you from that asteroid with some damages of course, but still ;)

I've suggested the following MINOR modifications to the asteroid fields which would, imho, make them much better (and more true to the original):

- Set the velocity of all asteroids to zero.
- Add a dense fog or dust cloud.

The result would be that asteroids seem to come (almost) out of nowhere (like in the original), the physics would be correct (no asteroids moving through each other without colliding) and cutting the engines would render the ship "safe" (like the original).

I pm'ed with MamiyaOtaru about it and the first part (setting velocity) is trivial. The second part would require adapting a "nebula effect" in the VegaStrike engine for the purpose - but it should be doable.

It would, of course, require some tweaking to get the cloud to look right, to get the asteroid density right etc.

As for being able to blast asteroids, that would seem to require much larger changes to the VegaStrike engine.

Agreed fyodor, it's not that important to destroy asteroids but they have to become as dangerously as they were in the original because it's a vital element to the campaign's difficulty. The only problem i see is the code-for-fog-not-ready-please-write-it-hellcat-thingy... :)

I could live with asteroids generated randomly in front of your ship as well -until the fog code is ready- it would look strange for sure but we would have the challenging asteroids-missions back in the game.

The way 'roids behaved in the origional is a pet peeve for me. It was like flying against a chaingun loaded with rocks and constantly aimed at your nose. When I found a hack to disable them entirely, it made me a happy pilot.
The 'roids in the remake are behaving more like the ones in WC4 and Prophecy except for the random movements, and you can shoot -through- them. 'Roids in WC4/Prophecy didn't move except for spinning, collisions with them would cause damage, and they'de absorb your fire when shot at. It was possible to fly around 'roids, too, even with lit afterburners.

John Cordell said:
Agreed fyodor, it's not that important to destroy asteroids but they have to become as dangerously as they were in the original because it's a vital element to the campaign's difficulty.
Don't you think that if the asteroids are changed so that they cause just as much damage on collision as they did in the original, but if we still can't shoot them, that they would make the game harder than it was originally?

Yes, spirit, fix the asteroids if you can. :)

Specialk said:
IIRC, in the original privateer there were nav points on the outside of the belt in Pendar's Star so that it was possible to navigate around it.
Nope. If one existed in the original it would be in the remake. Pender's Star has always forced you to slog through the asteroids or take the time to fly around them manually.

First of all, great remake! Brings back lots of fond memories.

Second, I remember a trick from the original privateer where I could fly through an asteroid belt on full burners and not get hit by yanking up and down on the joystick. Doesn't quite work anymore though =(

Specialk said:
IIRC, in the original privateer there were nav points on the outside of the belt in Pendar's Star so that it was possible to navigate around it. Not in the new version, though, apparently. :-P

Your memory fails you. Pandar's Star was exactly like it is now, I remember turning my ship 90 degrees from the direction of the opposite jump point and afterburning for about two minutes, then Auto-ing. I do the same thing now.

EDIT:
Maybe you were thinking about Palan, where to get from Palan to the refinery you have to pass through asteroids, unless you step first onto either the Tingerhoff or Xitani jump points. That, again, is exactly as in the original, as far as I remember.

Back