Armada

TopGun said:
The boxes look good on shelves

definatley much better than those new fangled dvd cased games :p but u can still play them i still play them WC 4 i played through the first time the other day and it was an amazing exprience, not many games now give me the same thrill or evolvement in a game :)

Vermin

I got most of the WC games and the WC movie on VHS. Its pretty sweet. I got:
WC2 Deluxe
WC Privateer CD and RF
Privateer 2
WC Academy
WC Armada (has never ever worked though :( )
WC3
WC4
WCP
WCSO

Wedge009 said:
For all its faults, Armada is the only multi-player WC game, besides WCP GBA. And it's a different gameplay style to the other games, so it's worth picking up, if only to add to the collection. :)

If you happen to be a fan of both turn based strategy AND wing commander, then this game is heaven. It's not too deep or advanced as far as turn strategy goes, but the rounds go fairly quick so it's easy to pick up and play a sector.

I really liked playing Armada, no matter how dumb the AI is. Funny thing is, I never knew that the Gauntlet mode is really the story mode of the damn thing! But the game is worth for the manual alone. Voices of War (the manual, better yet, the manual that deals with the story, there is a separate how-to-play-manual that is quite complete also) is as good as Victory Streak or Claw Marks. The three manuais are kinda holly trilogy for WC fans.

BTW, proving grounds is not really useful with DOSBOX, for it needs complicated ancient DOS era network/modem voodoos to work on MP. Oh, there is split screen too, but it's not very good.

I had a great time playing Armada. I just recently got it to work on my computer using DOSBox, and im still playing it on a regular basis. It adds an aspect of gameplay that i never experienced in the WC series before. I think it is quite interesting being able to be the commander of your carrier and supply lines, and still be a nameless pilot on the front lines at the same time.

I just wished there was a separate ship to deal with construction and transportation so that my carrier could do more than one thing at a time.

I wish Academy had more power... it was too limited, even for 1990's standards. but it was kinda funny for a while.

And wedge's suggestion is great.
With so many great fan projects actually getting somewhere, it would be nice to have a revamped, reworked WCarmada remake.

People need to figure out the IPX thing and just get regular Armada playable online. So far DOSBox doesn't do it.

Well, the whole deal with IPX/SPX is that it is an intranet protocol, whereas TCP/IP is an internet protocol. IPX/SPX was never meant to be routed outside of a Local Area Network, whereas TCP/IP was. To enable online play over IPX/SPX, one would have to create a TCP/IP tunnel first (like with a vpn or other tunneling method).

Back