Anyone here like D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riddles are one of my favorite things in an actual D&D game, and in RPG's as well. I think, and this is about one of my only, beefs with RPG's is the bugs that they have at times. I mean, BIG bugs. For instance, in Lands of Lord (a great game), at the very end, when you have to fight the Witch, she just wan't in the room. We checked and checked, and even called the company-oh, we'd done everything, her not being there was a bug they hadn't fixed-as such, we couldn't beat the game until they did. (Which actuall took a lot longer than you would think.) Sometimes, there are just WAY to big of bugs to be able to pass through, and RPG's seem especially bad about that.

Can I have a Mountain Dew? Anyway, I played D&D once. My character was killed near the begining of the quest though (and no I was NOT Galstaff: Sorcerrer of Light).

Delance said:
Maybe you played a bad CRPG, but there are good CRPGs around.

Obviously. I just named one particular 'traumatic' experience. But it is this general thing that bothers me. I regulary outsmart the scripting with ideas that the engine does not support which either leads to crashes, story instabilities (unable to proceed because the scriping breaks) or much frustration as I cannot guess what stupid idea the game wanted me to have. And that is the good games.
In bad games the riddles are just so stupid like in diablo so that you really cannot call it an RPG.

Well, Cff, from your torch story I can tell you were playing a lame game indeed. But for instance, a game like Fallout will give you plenty of flexibility, you can solve quests by being strong, fast or smart. And a game like Planescape Torment (which I'm quite sure you never even touched) has got a story that puts any WC to shame, And you can still use several tricks to solving it's puzzles.

If you really like riddles (or puzzles, the right word, BTW), you should try Myst games or Adventure games like Grim Fandango or Monkey island. They are NOT RPGs, but are chockfull of puzzles and problems to solve.

BTW, i do not classify Diablo as a RPG either, it's got almost no story and zilch meaningfull character interaction. Nice game, though.

Edfilho said:
And a game like Planescape Torment (which I'm quite sure you never even touched) has got a story that puts any WC to shame

We need more floating flaming skulls on WC.

Edfilho said:
or Monkey island.

Hey, it's entirely possible to have a three headed monkey on WC!

Edfilho said:
Well, Cff, from your torch story I can tell you were playing a lame game indeed.

Well that particular problem was from the second part of the "Das Schwarze Auge" series. Which had at least a third part if not a fourth and is the most popular German P&P RPG. It's a fairly great RPG otherwise with random quests and other funny stuff (for example you can split your group into subgroups. Now if your leader of #1 is a dwarf and the leader of #2 is an elf and you switch between the groups you will notice how the viewpoint changes - LOL).
But I could name similar problems in a handful other games as well.

Edfilho said:
But for instance, a game like Fallout will give you plenty of flexibility, you can solve quests by being strong, fast or smart. And a game like Planescape Torment (which I'm quite sure you never even touched) has got a story that puts any WC to shame, And you can still use several tricks to solving it's puzzles.

Fallout isn't my taste style wise. PT I indeed didn't try I think. Isn't that an MMORPG or do I remember completely wrong now.?

Edfilho said:
If you really like riddles (or puzzles, the right word, BTW), you should try Myst games or Adventure games like Grim Fandango or Monkey island. They are NOT RPGs, but are chockfull of puzzles and problems to solve.

Yup. All my comments were aimed at CRPGs. Adventures are far more my taste. Monkey Island - just awesome. Unfortunately at least part #2 had some word jokes (like hypnotizing the ape to get a monkey wrench) that are completely 'impossible' to solve for a non English speaker.
As for Myst, that one tends to have you loking for pixel sized objects for days ;)

Edfilho said:
BTW, i do not classify Diablo as a RPG either, it's got almost no story and zilch meaningfull character interaction. Nice game, though.

For a while, yes. I couldn't do that laddering however.

William Q Percy <p_gibbons.at.initech.com>

The year was 1993.

My parents had been separated for nearly 8 years, and both my brother and I were living with our mother. It was a regular occurance for us to visit our father every other weekend. These trips always meant a weekend of fun and escape from our mother's tyrannical grip and power of the chore. We would see movies, go to the arcade while our dad would buy groceries for the homemade burgers he would grill up later, play baseball, all fun things for a couple of kids just entering the double digit age range.

I remember one particular time we were at the arcade, immersed in the middle of our $5 bounty, a pedophile came up to us and asked if we could help him with some boxes in his car or something. He even offered us quarters, and may have busted out the "I have puppies" arguement. A strong case with little boys, indeed. I mean, come on, we're fucking puny little kids, what help are going to be with heavy lifting? What an asshat.

That's beside the point. It didn't even cross my mind at the time. We told him 'no' because we were too focused on playing the game.

Haha! Rejected by a couple of 10 year old boys. I bet he went home and killed himself.

The game? Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom. I owe it, and it's creators, my life as well as my anal purity.

I prefer tabletop over the video games. The hack and slash D&D video games don't really impress me, I prefer an excellant story and character interaction. Probably why I prefer tabletop, even though I rarely get to play, I am always running the games.

Amen brother. Tho i have to say I saw better rulebooks then the D&D one in my opinion.

PnP RPGs have the major (repeat MAJOR) advantage that you can do things that arent covered by a specific mechanic in the system - like arrive, have your horde of wizard underlings create you a castle, and then personally tweak the defences in a way that is outside standard guard placement, etc... or have more exact control over the minions, or interrogate your prisoner in whatever means you see fit (Party v. Party play is really damn fun. For those who care, the defences spoken of is just forbiddance laid horizontally over the top of a narrow stone keep. All the damn fighters threw 20s on their saves. Yes, this is D20. Its all we had. Back to WoD now that im with my old playergroup...) Im not being coherent anymore so I shut up now.

Personally, I think dice-based games (and other systems that use integers) are for wimps. All the games I play require a calculator or an autistic savant that can multiply 50-digit floating point numbers in their head. Now that's a game! ;)

Well D&D is not quite my first choice in games, it has been the fovorite of my old group for the last year (I live in a different state now though).
My favorite game is probably Shadowrun, it was made by FASA, but WIZKIDS due it now. If you don't know what it is, swords and sorcery meet the future, mean cars mean computers and even meaner guns. It is an excellant game, and it even has two video games, one on SNES, and one on Genesis, even though the Nintendo version sucked monkey anus.
I also play, 7th Sea, Legend of the Five Rings (Both are done in D20 know, but all my rulebooks are the older rules.) Star Trek RPG (Also the older Icon system from a few years back), Star Wars (West End, and D20, though now I prefer the D20 for game balanace, in WE Jedi with experience are way overpowered), Palladium Fantasy, Rifts, Heroes Unlimited, Robotech (First true love), Nightbane (or Nightspawn if you got one of the original books). A couple of others two, but I ran out of money for all the books lol.

I also custom made a WC game out of the D20 rules, (my older rules were time intensive, and hard for anyone to understand but me lol)

If any of you guys live in Portland OR, and need a player with a decade of experience, I would love to join into, or run a game.

Have you posted your rules? There's currently a live debate about a WC war game actively going on (although it seems to have degenerated into a petty debate about electronic warfare). Maybe there could be some synergy there.

My rules are a little on the basic side, I kind of eschewed the heavier elements of warfare for a simpler approach.
I am sure with a group of players that I could play test it, it would turn into a more advanced game.

mi most powerfull

i play D&D and mi most powerful chara just became and god the god of death NERULL i beat him and mi friend beat KORD and becam the god of battle his chara is the shit u just cant fuck wit him no matter wut u do and i cant be be hit if im in defense mood(duelist) mi AC is like 170 or more

who

who r u talkin about i dont think ud be able 2 even see mi id slaughter u in a sec u couldnt even stand 2 me if i fail 2 beat u with mi hands then i use alter reality (god feat)and then i make a nother 1 of me so u can keep tryin till i beat u or just kill u automaticly with life or death(nother god feat) so i dont think ill be swabbing any deck but i will let u be mi severnt if u act right and behave like a normal pansy boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back