Alpha Test Game 5

Okay, first time I opened it, the command screen was okay - all the tabs like regular AB, banking, burnout, shelton slide and drop-down boxes were there. I closed the screen without submitting the orders to check the board once more, and upon opening again, the drop-downs vanished. The tabs themselves remained, but without their usual options.
Refreshing fixes it temporarily, if you try it again, it still happens.
Yeah, I'm aware of this issue, Game 7 has the same problems. It stems from a change I had to make to have capital ships work properly. I'll hopefully work on a fix today.

Yeah, I'm aware of this issue, Game 7 has the same problems. It stems from a change I had to make to have capital ships work properly. I'll hopefully work on a fix today.
Okay, it took a while, and was a bit of a trick to wrap my head around, but I think I found a workable solution.

I need all of you to confirm this works by opening and closing the orders window at least once before actually submitting. Verify that it isn't giving you 'broken' options. Similarly, if you have control of multiple ships, do other weird things, like open and close the orders window a few times on one ship, then switch to a different ship, and switch back. look for odd behaviours, such as it giving you the first ship's window on the 2nd ship, etc. I think the code should prevent this, but such a result is indeed a risk with the way I reworked it.

With Lima no matter how many times or open and close the order window is blank. Furthermore if I click to accept the orders it errors.

With Lima no matter how many times or open and close the order window is blank. Furthermore if I click to accept the orders it errors.
Are you getting an error that says something like "Contact Avacar to use Firebug to fix this error"? I just started getting this too. Very odd! It wasn't doing this earlier today when I was debugging the whole thing. sigh. Note that the 'orders remaining is counting down anyway. This is problematic. I've temporarily set the 'orders remaining' to a unfairly high number to compensate, to allow for debugging and all of you to try and get in real orders. I'll try to get to this sometime in the next few hours.

Okay, posted this over in Game 7 thread as well, but for those of you not following it:

The issue is resolved; please submit your EP orders now!

Turn 18 EP mail shows that Odin rolled for tailing on Harm's Way as well as Thor. Doesn't affect much since they both made their rolls, but I don't recall submitting that tailing request and it shouldn't be possible given where everything is. Is it possible that this is a 'shared information' thing and doesn't denote the two pilots making separate rolls?

Turn 18 EP mail shows that Odin rolled for tailing on Harm's Way as well as Thor. Doesn't affect much since they both made their rolls, but I don't recall submitting that tailing request and it shouldn't be possible given where everything is. Is it possible that this is a 'shared information' thing and doesn't denote the two pilots making separate rolls?
Hmm, yeah it could be that, or it could be that targetting bleed issue we had near the start of Game 5. Are the slide-out "targetting:" fields the same across any of the affected ships?

Thor lists as targeting Mako, Odin is targeting Porcupine 2 (being omniscient, this makes sense). Neither of those matches with their assigned actions - Thor should be fully focused on Harm's Way at the moment.

19CP: Link to the game in the e-mail message did not work. I'll try it again later to see if that was just a fluke; thought I should report it, though.

Washout's order display gave the forward Neutron Guns as an option, though the game correctly identified no targets (i.e. there were no targets listed in the drop down box). Up to this point, the game has been pretty good about only listing the weapons options that are actually valid. Might be related to some of the work that's been going on with 'roids and flak lately in Game 7; I don't know. Again, just reporting what I'm seeing.

19CP: Link to the game in the e-mail message did not work. I'll try it again later to see if that was just a fluke; thought I should report it, though.

Washout's order display gave the forward Neutron Guns as an option, though the game correctly identified no targets (i.e. there were no targets listed in the drop down box). Up to this point, the game has been pretty good about only listing the weapons options that are actually valid. Might be related to some of the work that's been going on with 'roids and flak lately in Game 7; I don't know. Again, just reporting what I'm seeing.
It did just work for me... anyone else having problems?

Not getting the message, but Odin is unable to use his remaining FoF missile and was automatically slotted into the "done" queue for the combat phase - any idea why?

Not getting the message, but Odin is unable to use his remaining FoF missile and was automatically slotted into the "done" queue for the combat phase - any idea why?
I suspect this is because the predictor algorithm thinks there isn't a valid target for an Odin-launched FF within a 1-turn radius. The predictor doesn't try to predict 2-turns worth of FF motion (that would be a serious pain for me).

I've kicked Odin into allowing an order, and you can now launch your FF. I'll be curious to see its outcome.

This brings us to an interesting point: should the game be "too smart" like this? Should I just put in a check that says "as long as you have 1 FF, forget if there's even a target in range, let them fire it off anyway" because only a check like that would have given Odin an order...

Now if it turns out there is a valid Odin target immediately, then that means there is a flaw in the FF target predictor algorithm (which also wouldn't be surprising). Whom do you expect Odin's FF to hit?

Thoughts everyone?

Page 8 of the manual shows FF missiles with a 300 degree arc - any ship in that little scrim is a potential victim, with the most likely target being Mako. There were several FFs fired by Ironduke that likewise should have made a move for my ships or in one case his, and instead took no long and went straight (turn 17CP-18MP, I think I made mention of it at the time).

Page 8 of the manual shows FF missiles with a 300 degree arc - any ship in that little scrim is a potential victim, with the most likely target being Mako. There were several FFs fired by Ironduke that likewise should have made a move for my ships or in one case his, and instead took no long and went straight (turn 17CP-18MP, I think I made mention of it at the time).
I've improved the algorithm since then, but clearly it still needs work.

5 CP: Well, I venture to say everything's finally working...damn. Wasn't the worst possible case scenario I foresaw for Alpha, but it was pretty close (only way that could've gone worse would've been a six instead of a five on the 1d6 damage roll for the rocks...).

Wait, I just put this on the wrong thread....should've gone on Game 7 instead of Game 5. Whoops.

Game 5 should move now, McGeeZax had found another instance of the 'reopen and see all targets' bug that was a bit more specific, but reproduce-able. I just cleaned it up. Everyone else, let me know if you see it.

Back