Alpha Test Game 3

DeathStroke and Cavalier are supposed to get some orders, but the "Orders" button doesn't appear while I'm logged in. I guess they might be the ones capable of launching chaff against those FF missiles...?
Also, the FF missiles haven't submitted their EP orders yet. :p

okay got a quick fix in place so missiles don't need to issue orders (not actually problem, just a bug with the display code). I also wrote in a backdoor so my user is a super user and can issue orders to all ships (assuming the ship needs an order). I also aknowledge that I don't have an orders button, but do see the ships on the red list. I'll look into this later tonight.

Weird; Panda 2 seems to think it has an end-phase action needed, but when the orders window opens up, it doesn't.

This is probably some weird argument between the FF target prediction algorithm that ran at the end of CP to determine if Panda 2 needed orders, and this turn, with the FF from Panda 1 not identifying Panda 2 as a target.

Panda 1 needs an action because it could tail Panda 2.

Jumping over to Ironduke, for whatever reason, my override does let me see an 'orders' button. Are you sure you're logged in?

Oddly enough, I did see an "Orders" button now. I swear I had tried this two times before (being logged in) and it wasn't there. Third time's a charm, I guess... ;)
Can you check how many times I was logged in during this EP?

Unfortunately I'm not tracking login/logout times, just 'most recent activity' which would include anything from submitting an order to loging in. In theory, I've coded it so that once you've logged in, you could stay logged in for a while, but I haven't added any cookies or anything to guarantee that fact; after some currently undefined default time, your session will time out and it'll log you back out.

If you guys want, I can put a 'keep me logged in' cookie in place as one of my next tasks....?

I usually don't use these, but it might be handy for other players.

Btw, I think I just stumbled over the problem with the missing "Orders" button again: I clicked on turn 2's MP and signed in. The "Orders" button wasn't there. Then I went to "Turn Navigation," clicking back and forth once, and voilà: There it was! It appears you have to sign in before clicking on the phase, because the page doesn't get updated after you've logged in. Am I up to something here? ;)

Hmm, interesting. Yes, I think I forgot to have the map re-draw on login.

Hmm, just did a re-draw and that isn't enough, since it isn't updating your session data.

Okay, now it will reload the page. Be aware, though, that if you've navigated around, it likely will jump back to whatever turn/phase you'd first linked to. Not ideal, but functional for the time being.

Looks like things are starting to move in Game 3. Only waiting on Pantheos and Panda for the movement phase.

Ummm, i cant move so far, i try to find the menu but i cant find it :confused:

Or better said, there isnt an orders button anywhere.

I´ll try to look in the manual again but i didnt found anything useful.

Sorry, the manual is for the old email-based system. There isn't a manual for this verison yet, aside from the other thread in this very forum.

Okay, to move your vehicles, make sure you are logged on, then mouse over your ships. You'll see an 'orders' button if the ships hasn't received orders yet this turn.

Oh, and you *must* be using Firefox 3.6 for best experience, although Chrome 7+ seems to do 98% of the display correctly now, thanks to work by Wedge, and even IE is now 'playable' although still ugly. I can't compare against Opera or any other browser since I don't have them, but Wedge has done work to make it at least playable with them too.

I have been keeping watch on developments, but I haven't really checked cross-browser compatibility since the focus shifted to phase 5. The necessity to be an actual player in that phase means that my access is limited, but I think things should be reasonably consistent between browsers now.

The only things I can imagine falling over at the moment are the pop-up windows, which (as I understand it) are largely JavaScript-driven, and are only meant to be accessible by players anyway. If you encounter problems, whether in Gecko (Firefox family) or WebKit (Chrome, Safari, etc), or any other browser, post a screen-shot and I'll investigate.

Got this weird warning at the game selection screen:
Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/agespast/www/www/avacar/phase5/run_engine.php on line 26
Game 3 seemed to work, though. There are still some issues with the objects selector... Sometimes the menu disappears when you click on "Objects" instead of on one of the fighters, but at other times, it stays open. And I couldn't open the info screen for "The Quail" while having my orders screen open. (I could switch between ships in the selector, but the pop-up screen wouldn't pop up.)

I think I found out why the emailer wasn't working. Hopefully on the next turn, you guys get an email.

Also, it took me a minute, but I know what went wrong with that error message. We're just lucky both games weren't running with a new turn at once, or there would have been some weirdness.

Well, we're down a ship, and this is going to be a critical test of missile guidance. Too bad I haven't fixed chaff yet. (FYI: chaff itself *might* be working, but we don't seem to get any field report messages about it. I will see if I can get that fixed using Game 2 before you guys finish up this turn of Game 3, but it is doubtful).

Just as a suggestion would it be possible on the field report if you could color code each players' information?

Or maybe separate it. Either would be better than staring at a block of text figuring out where your reports are.

Can we place an explosion marker where destroyed ships were, perhaps one that vanishes in the next turn's combat phase?

Looks like Pantheos missed one ship... ;)

Regarding color coding, I know that this is on Avacar's list. And I agree, it's difficult to read the field reports in their current state, but we'll just have to make do with them for the time being.

And there should be an explosion marker... Actually, I can see TheQuail's remains beneath that Broadsword. The explosion is also appearing in my objects selector.

Yeah, explosions are already as implemented as they're going to get. They already appear and vanish appropriately. Sadly, when stacked, they just get lost in the jumble.

As for formatting the reports, if someone wants to work out the formatting and put it into html/css for me, I can easily implement it. What I'd want were some new classes and a report structure to output. I could then go through the code and add in the appropriate class tags to the various error messages. All I need is a static html page with the sample formatting.

Unfortunately it won't be easily possible to sort it by player, but it might be possible to sort it by ship. The report is built in the order the engine processes instructions... which is done in a very much 'last in first out' for orders, and processes things in order of precedence (chaff before evasive maneuvers before missile hits, etc.)

Back