Alpha Test Game 3

Avacar

Vice Admiral
Hi Everyone,

Announced over in the game development and bugs thread, we're going to start a final 'Alpha Testing' game before we move into beta testing. We're looking for volunteers who want to mess around with WCTOO blowing each other to pieces, while helping us do core testing. As this is note a beta test, anyone who does this aknowledges that this is still potentially full of devastating bugs and will commit to:
  1. Keeping up to date in the most recent development-thread posts
  2. Be aware of what features are and aren't actually "officially" working (so you can identify what is broken and what just isn't coded)
  3. Report bugs in the development thread

If this interests you, you need to do the following:
  1. Go to the Phase 5 demo and register an account
  2. In this thread, post what fighter/bomber-class ship(s) you want to pilot. Feel free to grab up to 3 ships.
  3. In your post, also give your phase 5 WCTOO username, and the callsign you desire for your ship(s).

I leave registration for this game open until Friday (15th November 2010) at Midnight GMT. The game will be announced as starting sometime next Saturday.

After the game starts, this thread will be dedicated to Game 3 specific discussion.

Note that Game 2 testing will continue through this week, and potentially into the future as we debug and simulate issues.

And just to clarify which ships are valid options:

- Broadsword
- Drakhri
- Epee
- Ferret
- Grikath
- Jalkehi
- Rapier II
- Sabre
- Sartha

I'd like to pilot 1 Sabre, 1 Rapier II and 1 Grikath. (If you don't want a mix, make it 1 Sabre and 2 Rapier IIs.) Both my registered phase 5 name and desired callsign is Ironduke. (This was my first callsign back in WC1, so I'll stick to traditions. :p)

One clarification:

Ships, at the moment, actually have 2 pieces of customization. You can pick their callsign, and their pilot's callsign.

i.e. "Delta 1 is piloted by Ironduke" yet the user account doesn't need to be ironduke.

Please list what you want the ship called (Delta 1?) and the pilot name (Ironduke) as well as the account name (Ironduke, in this example).

If you don't list a ship callsign, I'm going to be lazy and just number them after yourself (ex: "Ironduke 1 is piloted by Ironduke")

Ok, I'll roll with an Epee (The Quail), and a Sartha (Sivar's Breath), and lastly oh... I'll take a Grikath (Bloodied Claw)

I'm QuailPilot, as usual.

Okay, then "Deathstroke" for the Grikath, "Cavalier" for the Rapier :)p) and "Beauteous Butch" for the Sabre. :D And I'd rather not have individual callsigns, in order to not confuse people who might watch the game. :D

Minor delays in game 3; just busy IRL.

I'll get it posted 'tonight' for my local time, meaning it is likely going to be showing up on Sunday for most people. If anyone was considering playing, by all means, you can still register and I will fit you in.

I declare Game 3 open!

I did a few 'new' things here, to test out features I had previously coded but been unable to check. First off, we're using a new background. This is a starfield of the Iris Nebula. It is a real image, so I find it a bit bright as a background, but I couldn't find any subdued rendered ones on short notice.

Second, I attempted to shrink the combat area. It looks like it worked visually, but we'll know when the first one of you accidently afterburns off the right or bottom (or fires a missile off) if it keeps going to the standard size or if it disappears right away.

Our next game, whenever that is, we'll try making the grid *larger* than before, which should also work just as well.

Quailpilot: what browser version are you using? If you get an orders window at all, I find it really suspicious there isn't a 'send to command' button too.

Wedge: as far as I can tell I have; I'm hesitant now to do a full upload of what I've got here locally to see if mine breaks as well, but perhaps I will later tonight. Meanwhile, try doing a revert to head.

edit: found the run engine issue. My uploaded files weren't up to date with the SVN. Fixed both.

edit: found the run engine issue. My uploaded files weren't up to date with the SVN. Fixed both.
Thanks for that. I can't believe I didn't find the missing brace or I would have fixed it myself.

First off, we're using a new background. This is a starfield of the Iris Nebula. It is a real image, so I find it a bit bright as a background, but I couldn't find any subdued rendered ones on short notice.
It actually doesn't look too bad to me, in terms of brightness. I think it's fine the way it is. It does make the board smaller, though, I don't know if that's your intention.

It actually doesn't look too bad to me, in terms of brightness. I think it's fine the way it is. It does make the board smaller, though, I don't know if that's your intention.

The board being smaller is actually because I set a smaller board, not because the background image was smaller. I wanted to toy with combat area sizes to see if the game would draw it properly, and if the off-the-map algorithms really are fully functional. (In theory, I can also expand the combat area to any size, although if we have to start tiling the backgroud images, we'll have to be more careful with their selection).

So the problem right now is that QuailPilot can't issue orders because he doesn't see an "Orders" button? Funny enough, if I go to game 2 (in phase 5) and select one of the two stuck fighters, I don't get an "Orders" button either (Chrome 6.0.x). I had no problems giving orders to my fighter wing in game 3, though.

The problem is not that there is no "Orders" button.
The problem is, is when I click it, there is no "Submit Orders".

Ah, I see... That's really strange. Have you tried your luck with game 2? Once the Epee and the Rapier are unstuck again, it would be interesting to see if you get that "Report Orders" button there...

No not yet. I'm thinking of telling what my order was to Avacar, so he could place it where it was supposed to go, and see if it works, in later turns.

Sounds like a good idea! However, I'm afraid Avacar might be busy with real life stuff at this moment - at least it's unusual that he hasn't replied to this thread yet.

Back