Admiral Tolwyn

Tarquinn

Rear Admiral
Does anyone know where I can find some good screencaps of Admiral Tolwyn from WC3/4?

Thanks much. :)

As long as the paycheck is big enough, he'll do anything. He said he does get a bit tired of it but thats only because the writing is cliched villany. If you look at something like, oh, "Gangster Number One", it's something totally different.

He also made an extremely sympathetic turn in an episode of the short lived "Night Visions" as a man forced to keep the world in balance with his Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

My uncle sympathizes with that. He was always cast as the generic Chinese villain (gang member, kung fu villain, etc.). He got tired of getting beaten up by David Carridine all the time so I think he went into real estate.

Didn't McDowell also play Mr. Roarke on Fantasy Island?

In the original Fantasy Island, yes, Roarke was played by Montalban. The SciFi channel remake had McDowell in the role.

They made Tolwyn seem all mighty in the novels and in the Movie, but in WC3, I just wanted to walk up to him and kill him, he's such a bastard in 3.

I think Tolwyn is still Tolwyn in all his glory, even with the Black Lance, but after reading the novel I cannot help but think he sacrificed Angel so that he could get approval for the Behemoth over the T-Bomb.

I never thought of that, that is a possibility but probably not likely. I always thought that Tolwyn was in control of all the Black Projects but threw his star behind the Behemoth and let Paladin (under Tolwyn) take over the T-bomb. He wouldn't really be able to 'sacrifice' Angel unless he sent a message to Kilrah about the covert team.

C-ya

Not so much in that regard, but Blair said that she on on a covert ops mission for Tolwyn. Who's to say that the mission wasn't meant to succeed? It is entirely possible that Angel and her covert ops team were used as cannon fodder to show that the T-Bomb would be impossible and that the Behemoth would be a more fesible option. Plus, it is suggested in the novels that Tolwyn could use the Behemoth much the same way the Kilrathi intended to use the Sivar Dreadnought. How long would the Black Lance have been in action? It would almost certainly need at least three or four years to get to the level they are at in The Price of Freedom. Performing covert ops in Boarder Worlds ships I can swallow being possible in two years, but the Dragon fighters? Flash-packs? Gen Select bioweapons? They would have to be on tap for years.

IE my guess that Tolwyn was in charge of all/most of Covert Ops, but Angel reported directly to Paladin.
The team did succeed though (most covert ops are probably classified as 'one way missions' anyway), but the T-bomb also wasn't 'as complete' as the Behemoth and wasn't even guaranteed to work. The Behemoth was power projection (a probable multi-use weapon), the T-bomb would be a lucky sucker punch. Personally if I had the choice I would have backed the Behemoth myself.
I don't know what you're trying to get at with the WC4 events with the BL and such though.

C-ya

Viper61 said:
IE my guess that Tolwyn was in charge of all/most of Covert Ops, but Angel reported directly to Paladin.

Are you sure that's right? I remember the novel making it out like some power struggle between Paladin and Tolwyn, and Angel was caught in the crossfire.

I re-read WC3N pretty recently and I don't remember that, I could have missed it though. Like I said, the Tolwyn-Paladin-Angel heirarchy is just my interpretation though . . . I drew this from Tolwyns remarks that Paladin used to serve under him in the WC4N, but this could also be interpreted as the time Tolwyn was in command of the Tigers Claw (I'm not sure if Paladin was on board at this time but eh . . .).

C-ya

Could be. Could also be in referrence to the covert ops Paladin was involved with in Vengence of the Kilrathi. He was a Colonel at the time, and he and Tolwyn were pretty chummy. Also, it was Tolwyn who put Blair in Paladin's covert ops, so Paladin might have been working for Tolwyn despite not being a sailor. (Being an Admiral, Tolwyn would be Navy, where Paladin would be Space Force).

Tolwyn was in charge of a fleet, I don't think he ran any covert ops at this point. Actually I think he looked down on it.
Tolwyn to Paladin in WC2 - "In your line of work, James, treachery is par for the course"
Not really great proof, but that the way I read it.

C-ya

Back