a new wing commander

ser lev

Swabbie
Banned
It's fair to say that the hopes of a new wing commander game are higher than ever before, so this in mind i was wondering what peoples thoughts on the direction it should take would be? In the spirit of the new thread, mine first.

Prophecy to me was a huge disappointment, direction was shoddy, left as they where the nephilim where brilliant in design but lacking in execution their screams of "i die with honour" left me thinking they where the kilrathi in bug form, the acting without the balance of jason bernard malcom mcdowell and john rhys davies to add gravitas was a big step down from what we where given in wc4, but that in mind it would be shame if it was left as confeds ginger step child, it would be nice to prove you can have a wc game after the kilrathi war that works.

But lets not forget there where 40 years of war, therfore so many stories and possibilities that exist without being the hero of confed, smaller more intimate stories. I personally would like the war to appear more brutal less soft focus, lose the lasers have bullets. I also think that the kilrathi should go for an overhaul. If you look at hobbes he couldn't walk very well, they should be far more agile, less actual cats and more cat like to make them more fearsome.

obviously the story is a huge factor in why the wc games are still great today, so-
bring chris roberts back into the fold, persuade him back into the directors chair! also no fmv or nothing mentality! if you cant achieve the scope laid down by wc4 (which is likely) do CG, or even virtual sets after 10 years they have come a long way.

Anyhow just some of my thoughts, but please if you think i am too down on prophecy to compare it to wc4 would be like comparing batman and robin to batman begins, wc4 should be what all wc games should aim for.

Well, I would love to have more stories about the Kilrathi war but I don't think that going back to it now is a very good idea... We have a whole new war to play with...

I would even like to get the same time frame from WCP from the view of the BW

But I think the best way to go would be to follow the Midway in this new war after the events in the last game

About Prophecy, I really liked it... I know it's not as epic as IV, but it focused more on the game play I think... I love the Price of Freedom, an amazing story, but Prophecy is just a different type of story

i just felt that the nephelim where let down by the lack of any goal, it was hinted at but only verrrrryyyy briefly (talk of purification) admitadly if they where allowed to fininsh the trilogy they probably would've gone far deeper so in that respect it was the writers who where let down

Yeah, that's why I would love to get more games about them..

S*S gave some really nice stories to "play" with

imagine if the kilrathi actually became allies, rather than only after being rescued? how cool would that be!!!

Also i forgot to mention, bring back continuity! who dies stays dead...i'm looking at you hawk, if you've been blown to bits don't reconstruct yourself and attend briefings! it's just not right!

Well, I would love to have more stories about the Kilrathi war but I don't think that going back to it now is a very good idea... We have a whole new war to play with...

I would even like to get the same time frame from WCP from the view of the BW

But I think the best way to go would be to follow the Midway in this new war after the events in the last game

About Prophecy, I really liked it... I know it's not as epic as IV, but it focused more on the game play I think... I love the Price of Freedom, an amazing story, but Prophecy is just a different type of story

Play Unknown Enemy.

I would like to see Confed take it to the bugs. It was disappointing that you were on the defensive in both Prophecy and Secret Ops. I want to see what kind of use they can get out of the gate you captured at the end of Secret Ops.

It would be a shame not to go with the bugs, but making it inclusive to newbies (or would that be nuggets) would be of huge importance.

Sir,

I reckon I'd enjoy a straight-up 3 way fight between virtually equal empires. In the aftermath of Arena, this could easily be constructed as Terran-Kilrathi-? as a story could easily be told where Confed forces have taken a terrible beating and the Kats somehow made it through virtually intact. Introduce either a new bug incursion or even a new race to make the conflict symettrical.

And one could have the option of playing as any of the 3...!

Sir,

I reckon I'd enjoy a straight-up 3 way fight between virtually equal empires. In the aftermath of Arena, this could easily be constructed as Terran-Kilrathi-? as a story could easily be told where Confed forces have taken a terrible beating and the Kats somehow made it through virtually intact. Introduce either a new bug incursion or even a new race to make the conflict symettrical.

And one could have the option of playing as any of the 3...!

or a Landreich-Firekkan-Grovensoren alliance - an alliance between all those who are simply fed up with confed meddling in their affairs on one side - and with the Kats plundering them on the other - and with both the Kats and Confed on their knees, they finally have a chance to win some real independence.

Personally though, I would preffer to see them return to the Terran-Kilrathi war - specifically to the 2657-2663 time frame -
Blair got himself a force "retirement", the Tiger's Claw is gone with all hands (almost), the Concordia in not yet operational (launch in 62?) -

The enemy is known, the stage is set,
Time for a new ship, new crew, new hero.

New WC....mh.
The setting I would like to see is after Secret Ops. Starting in a more or less peacefull time with little conflicts in the Borderworlds/Landreich. Maybe not as big as the part in False colors but something like that where you start as a young Borderworld/Landreich pilot in fighting pirates.
Later a second Nephilim invasion comes. During the defance of your planet a Cat carrier from the more confed friendly Kilrathi comes to aid you. After a hard fight the planet is still lost and you are forced to team up with the Kilrathi and fight along them.
Later the cat carrier gets destroyed but you are again rescued...this time by confed forces. Maybe even the Midway herself.
So you join up with Confed. At that point you get to know the full story behind the invasion and that confed needs everyone who can fly. So you get a mixed crew of confed, kilrathi and BW pilots.
Then you do the usual "fighting the bad guys and save the world" stuff ^_^
Maybe you can do some of the classic traitor plots with confed loyal/disloyal kilrathi, BW pilots.
Since we got some referances about what happend during the Nephilim war there would be some parts to take storywise from that.

As for the gameplay. I would like to start as a small noname. Later you advance in rank and with that you not only get more fighters, squadmates and stuff but also more influance in how to fight the war. Makeing the campaing more and more dynamic over time.
Means that at the end you are the one who picks the mission. Decide where to fight with what forces and so on. Some key battle drive the story forward and others are just for "fun".

As for the system of flight. I liked the flight mechanic from Prophecy, fast with a little bit of physics. For the sake of the different tastes I would also implement 3d person and 1st person posibilitys. Personaly I don't like 3d person in a flight sim but for reaching a widher audiance....*sigh*
Also put in Joystick support for old gamers like me ^_^

I also would like to have full acted movies again. They are greate and are one of the importend things for me in WC to tell the story. CG characters are also quite good now but they don't do it for me.
Even if I only got the talking head setup of WC1 with real actors I would prefer it over CGI stuff ^_^

Last the choise of system.
I know that consoles are currently the more or less best selling system for games. Still I prefere a PC version...and if I have to wait a year or so for the transition to PC I would definitly do so. I have waited for a new WC for a long time I could wait a little more ^_^
Still I will never buy a console exept the price drops below 100€. The only games I ever wanted to play on a console where FF7+8, Chrono Trigger/Cross and Fable....all of them can be played on the PC by now.
I would prefer the development on the 360 since its the easiest way to port it on the PC. They share most of there components.

As for the graphics...sure "highend ultrarealistic whatever" AKA nextgen but please please please without this overused blur and glow effects. Haveing people look like they where made out of plastic is just stupid.

So that is about my wishlist for a new WC...well at least what I can think of at this time...might be more.

Starting as a noname is where i'd go, but i'd like it to sort of stay that way. If the scope of the gameplay is opened up and you can have as many fighters on the go at the same time the need to play the hero of confed is less.

in fact it would kinda add weight to the whole war if you where one amongst thousands, maybe you dont even survive at the end.

Mh good point.
On the other hand I thought of a more strategic part. Means that you don't attack the whole time but you have also to coordinate you defence. So that you can't send out as many ships as you want....except you would take the risk that your defence is quite weak and open to attacks from your enemy.
Also when you got the overview and you see how the warfront changes from mission to mission you would also get a feeling of...that little dot their is me and the other thousands are other troops.
Still the conflict would be more or less restricted to maybe one or two sectors.
Its a kind of an advanced Armada scenario with a story.

Another thing that might be interesting, but quite short would be a smaller conflict takeing place in just one system where two carriers and their battlegroup fighting over a planet or something. Putting the story and character development into the forground and keep the fights short but difficult.
The carriers would more or less be in the background in a kind of hit and run tactic. Trying to drain the enemys support before the final showdown.
As said it would be more of a shortstory but could be preaty intense.

Well why not introduce the mantu. Wasn't the reason the Kilrathi designed the deception to attack earth with the hakaga carriers to end the war to fight the mantu on their other front? It would be interesting to see what they look like.

Well if we take Star Soldier into acount Mantu are around and a lot of important changes have happened. Personaly id like a WC game where you play from cat side and try to clean up their act for new empire, that is not hell bent on killing all humans but wont take orders from hairles monkies. Wariors code should be revived and cats should have second go at Mantus, hell maybe even pull a Temblor trick on Nephilm.

Well if we take Star Soldier into acount Mantu are around and a lot of important changes have happened. Personaly id like a WC game where you play from cat side and try to clean up their act for new empire, that is not hell bent on killing all humans but wont take orders from hairles monkies. Wariors code should be revived and cats should have second go at Mantus, hell maybe even pull a Temblor trick on Nephilm.

A cool twist on that could be that after the temblor bomb the cats could almost be like the germans after ww1, trying to regain their identity but falling under the grasp of a cult of sivar leader. They could then split into two groups, those under sivar who see their superiority through the universe, thus becoming warlike and the second camp, still warrior code following but almost moderate and don't wish to see the kilrathi to descend into constant needless war and become the allies of confed.

Okay this was actually script that i wrote for a web show based on the kilrathi war, all exept allying with confed (rather they became united).

Another thing that might be interesting, but quite short would be a smaller conflict takeing place in just one system where two carriers and their battlegroup fighting over a planet or something. Putting the story and character development into the forground and keep the fights short but difficult.
The carriers would more or less be in the background in a kind of hit and run tactic. Trying to drain the enemys support before the final showdown.
As said it would be more of a shortstory but could be preaty intense.

How about an episodic feel? for instance now the days of "please insert disc..." are way behind us what about where they would be have a "continue to episode...?" Lets say in wc4 the birth of vesuvius and the following interaction between paladin and tolwyn would be the intro to a new episode, this would allow for the more intense story buy also allow for it to have smaller stories surrounding it.

I don't like eps releases. I prefere to have one big game with all the neat stuff like a handbook and stuff. Also I like the boxart of some games....if it wouldn't be for my parents when I was little I would still have my collection of boxes.
I still regret that my parents could convince me to leave them behind when we moved.

Back