3D Printed Starfighters

LOL, I love the penny-sized Dralthi! It is just ridiculously hard to paint.
But I guess there are miniature freaks with 1-hair-brushes that can even paint that one detailed.

Does anyone have pics of painted ones of those already?

WOW, those look great!
If I only didn't have that annoying tremor in my hands. It makes it very hard to paint such things, which is why I only build much bigger models if any. I might still get some and ask my brother to paint them...

Awesome work, Klavs. There are now a few "shops" on Shapeways with Wing Commander stuff on sale.

I'd like to echo the earlier comment for the half-scale fighters to be made available. Those would be perfect for fleet-scale types of games. :)

Ok you guys, the Medium fighters are availible as sets in either 1/600 or 1/300 scale. The real cost at shapeways is the setup for a single print, so the 4 fighters together wind up being lots cheaper to produce than just ordering one at a time. Hope you guys enjoy and post painted pics! If I ever win the lottery I'm making a 1/72 scale F-44. :)

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/terranfleetsupply

Cheers!

Argh, sincere apolgies to anybody who ordered anything, my set of 1-300 ships was initially approved, and it was just a scaled up version of the 1-600 ships, which were printed sucsessfully before, but it apparently has a problem. I'm working on it and I'll let you know as soon as I've ironed it out.

The really rough part is that Shapeways doesn't give refunds, just store credit, so I'm working hard to see what the heck went wrong so everybody can get their models!

Stand by to stand by :)

Okay, FINALLY got the problems ironed out, and I've ordered a new set of protos to show you guys, and once I'm absolutely certain that they work and exist in real life, I'll make them available to you guys again.

Also have some other ships in the pipe, all scaled to cannon sizes, except for the Ferret, which I've scaled up to 14 M, it just looked too too small otherwise.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    621 KB · Views: 233
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    622.9 KB · Views: 240
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    615.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 232
I always loved the Secret Missions box art Salthi. Looked like an aging, alien workhorse compared to the sleek Dralthis and Krants. So, tried to do it justice! No wonder we could scrag them so easily with just a couple of laser hits!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    568 KB · Views: 208
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    378.3 KB · Views: 217
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    324.6 KB · Views: 219
Ok guys, the new ship packs are live. All ships except the Raptor have been prototyped, so order that one at your own risk until I make sure that she prints ok.

I reiterate that these ships are available at cost, meaning I don't make any money off them, just want you guys to have them sitting on your desk if you want.

The 1/600 scale ships are packaged like the old Scifi Micro Machines, it's cheaper this way for anybody that wants more than one, so that's why they're in packs of 3.

I really wish I could get the costs down. Costs are by volume of the model, so those pesky big cat ships are always a bit pricey. It's just not worth printing them in a lower quality material, you'd loose tons of detail and have to spend a million years sanding to get rid of the terraces.

The 1/300 ships are printed singly. I can't afford to prototype all the 1/300 scale ships, but the new 1/300 scale Hornet looks great! Tons of details, more pics tomorrow. When the sun comes back up so I can get some good photos.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/terranfleetsupply

Maybe we should start a kickstarter to get the CIC it's own 3d Printer? :)

Attachments

• fighters1a.JPG
    fighters1a.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 199
  • fighters2a.JPG
    fighters2a.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 191
Ok, a little sanding, a little primer, and those teeny little ridges clean up nicely! The Ferret and Salthi printed a little small, so I enlarged them for the release, but there's lots and lots of nice detail that comes out, even in the little 1/600 scale ones.

I'm going to look into pricing for some of the color printed ceramic stuff and see if I can realistically afford one of these ships that just has baked on textures from the 3d models you've been seeing. (Printed in color so I don't have to paint with my clumsy meat claws)

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 226
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 205
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 222
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 203
BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL on Shapeways! 20% off orders of $75 or more. Get 'em while they are hot. Code is "tdzmu".

Thanks BSmith! That means I can afford to prototype a couple new ships for the holidays!

Went with Michelle D's Gratha Gondola idea, and thanks to Howard Day for letting me use his Jalthi as the basis for this current monstrosity!

Attachments

• wc1c.JPG
    wc1c.JPG
    555.5 KB · Views: 221
  • wc1b.JPG
    wc1b.JPG
    508.3 KB · Views: 210
  • wc1a.JPG
    wc1a.JPG
    582.1 KB · Views: 210
  • wc1.JPG
    wc1.JPG
    575.1 KB · Views: 196
  • j3.JPG
    j3.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 194
  • j2.JPG
    j2.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 192
  • j1.JPG
    j1.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 194
Klavs, these look great! I can't wait to get mine and paint them up. I also can't wait to see what you'll do next.

Awesome work! That Jalthi really looks fearsome!
However I never had problems with the Gratha ingame... the Jalthi however could get a lucky shot that fried the shields :eek:

By gondola idea, you mean the cockpit is located on the underside? Right where the long nose intersects the wings? Great! I always thought that was how it was supposed to be, with the idea that the nose was packed with ordinance etc. etc.

Thanks Guys,

Wojo; exactly! Michelle D's idea, but I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. Spacecraft design with a twist

Back