2 questions about secret ops and prophecy and some Ideas for mods

You guys can disagree with me on this but the day that origin killed wing commander the whole space combat sim took a big hit. I know it has survived on the underground but without mainstream support the good ones are hard to find. I mean I have played xwing, starlancer, bang! gunship elite, descent freespace, and so on but they are just not as good as wing commander. But one of the reasons that Origin killed it was from the bad feedback from prophecy and secret ops (you know being so repetitive) , and that piss pour game u.o. Well the reason I suggested radical changes In not much of a storyline change but a alternate reallity is for the fact that alot of the TV shows still existing over so many years have had to reinvent themselves or they got canned. Alot of the shows successful out there are supernatural or mutant inspired type shows dealing with the paranormal and unbelieveable and have survived. My fear is that the bugs are just a rehash of the kilarathi. I also have been at war with these types of bugs before in a pc space combat game from the late 80's early 90's and Its just a rehash. Plus because origin abadoned the series why should you continue a story without a clear leader. we knew we were fighting one mean badass in thrakath and then Jazz, then when Hobbes turned I know you only know him as a bad guy for a very short time but then it comes back to you that hes been plotting this for along time and has always been a major badguy in sheeps clothing, then we had tolwynn and those guys were some clear enemies and you know you are shooting your way into a confrontation with some clear objectives. Thats Just my opinion though

the one thing that was really good about UE is that you fly a mission and then you get the story like a book right on the pc no getting online to read a story. Maybe somebody should take some of there fiction and apply it in the same style as UE. It was like an interactive book. :D

Originally posted by DoomsdayPlague
You guys can disagree with me on this but the day that origin killed wing commander the whole space combat sim took a big hit.

You have it backwards. Wing Commander was killed because the space sim market pretty much died. People stopped buying them, it was too much of a risk to make the games.

well conisdering that Wing Commander got em all interested Its a shame that because a bunch of crappy sim games killed the series I joined the gaming world and grew up on was canned because oriigin was to chicken to take a risk. Now that a bunch of space sims (Freelancer) are starting the industry again its sad to see origin won't take a risk.

Now that a bunch of space sims (Freelancer) are starting the industry again its sad to see origin won't take a risk.

Freelancer is not a bunch of space sims... and it's been in production since before the bottom really fell out of the genre :)

he's got a point about origin not taking a risk, though. guess they don't know that there are those of us who are die-hard WC fans. if only we could let them know..........

They know we're here... A few thousand people isn't a good enough target audience, the casual gamer is the important target.

I thought there were some others as well like the soon to be rehash of prophecy for game boy that should get some interest back and I know atleast one gaming mag is probably gonna check out the WC mods as there released with the right amount of coaxing. Plus the fact that word of mouth for That great game UE some people are gonna be realizing were still here and the industry took an extended nap. I almost forgot to add they are still releasing a bunch of star wars sims on console and there is also the cross genre game Mace Griffen Bounty Hunter. Hey TC if we all start writing to gaming mags it might make a big difference as one letter is a start but a few thousand to a bunch of gaming mags we will get noticed. I can only live on UT for so long before I crave for my true passion getting behind a space fighter and messing the badguys up with a good story backing it. hey maybe Quarto and his team should send there game to fileplanet for more exposure

Originally posted by TC
They know we're here... A few thousand people isn't a good enough target audience, the casual gamer is the important target.

damnit, we *should* be good enough! :D

and i think the only reason star wars is still going is because George Lucas is still making movies

I almost forgot to add they are still releasing a bunch of star wars sims on console and there is also the cross genre game Mace Griffen Bounty Hunter.

You could market a computer based star wars themed jigsaw puzzle and people would buy it.

Hey TC if we all start writing to gaming mags it might make a big difference as one letter is a start but a few thousand to a bunch of gaming mags we will get noticed. I can only live on UT for so long before I crave for my true passion getting behind a space fighter and messing the badguys up with a good story backing it. hey maybe Quarto and his team should send there game to fileplanet for more exposure

that might work. mabye a second copy of UE should be sent to Origin so they can see just how kick ass it is. add the amount of people who downloaded it and if we all pray to the game gods mabye Origin might recognize their folly. (that wasn't scarcastic)

it was just your idea for that mod. now that the converstation has shifted to thinking of ways to bring WC back, all your doing is preaching to the choir. :D

well my only motivation was that the bugs are just a bit lame to me. The reason I was able to really like the Kilarathi was because hobbes jumped to your side and it really got you to really get a feeling like how can I work with a ruthless scumbag race like the kilarathi and then you start to like him then he turns and you wanna skin em all and then with the black lance you always had a feeling tolwynn was a baddie from the beginning. but the bugs lacked a personallity to really hate. I am gonna use this as an example in an offline reference when playing UT I can devolop rivals with the Ai guys in the game even though they don't react like a wc character cause of the generic character but by giving them stats and names and so on I get personal rivalries with bots that when rotated into the game you go after them. now the reason I used that example is because in wing commander 1 through 4 you had aces to shoot for that were harder than the rest not so with wcp and wcso the bugs were not at all individual they felt the same and they felt more like it was a borg society than anything else if you get my point. :)

yeah, the cats were better. as for the bugs, i think origin was planning on developing a personality and characters for us to hate in the next game they were planning, but the whole thing got cut off when they decided to cancel WC

Emm...about the original topic and about the others you said...

Well I wont be ironic with you or something.:) These are your thoughts,fine but they are in a galaxy far far away from the WC universe.... :)

I think these are more compatimple with the StarWars universe and not Wc which has nothing to do with magic, resurrection etc.

Wc is realistic !

P.S. yes there are prophecys of Doom in reallity but , If they are talking about the "destruction of the World" they dont actually mean that the deads will ressurect from the dead and deamons will come.:) AT LEAST I HOPE SOOO!!

Back