What is the name of that table and the structure

EG1918

Ensign
Hi, I was interested in this while watching the WC3 video. What is the name of that table and the structure on top that is on the bridge or CIC, on real aircraft carriers?
sdfgsgsg.png

Last edited:
Pretty sure real militaries use powerpoint. I don't think big wads of ceiling CRTs or holographic tables have ever been a thing irl, it's more of a 90s sci-fi trope.

The table is pretty commonly known as a map table. I think you can call the ceiling structure by a variety of names.

Pretty sure real militaries use powerpoint. I don't think big wads of ceiling CRTs or holographic tables have ever been a thing irl, it's more of a 90s sci-fi trope.
There's a whole host of monitors in Primary Flight Control (Pri-Fly) and the Carrier Air Traffic Control Center (CATCC) showing the status of various aircraft flying around the ship.

In CIC, there are several overhead status screens and then a bunch of individual consoles. There's even a big map table that may or may not have a screen based on the ship class.

There's a whole host of monitors in Primary Flight Control (Pri-Fly) and the Carrier Air Traffic Control Center (CATCC) showing the status of various aircraft flying around the ship.

In CIC, there are several overhead status screens and then a bunch of individual consoles. There's even a big map table that may or may not have a screen based on the ship class.
Yeah, but he said structure, so I assumed he meant that specific setup (circle/pillar of monitors), which showed up a fair bit in contemporary sci-fi but isn't really a thing irl to the best of my knowledge.

Just wanted to chime in and confirm that "map table" is what's used in the script.

I don't think the thing at the top is ever used as a prop so it isn't named there!

Back