WCIV in Windows Xp??

wankski

Spaceman
Hi guys,

need your help !

is it possible to install and play WC 4 in XP?

i got the windows patch, but i'm starting to think its only possible to run it in windows 95 only !

hrmm

so whats the story? anyone here able to run it in xp?

also i'm thinking of installing another HDD with DOS to run these games - will it work ? i mean on the same system? will an XP system just be too fast and make WC 3 and 4 unplayable?

cheers

joe

Yeah, WC4 will run in XP if you play with it a bit. Have you told it to simulate Windows 95 compatibility mode? The vast majority of WC games have no speed problem whatsoever. WC3 and WC4 run flawlessly on 3 GHz systems.

ahhh sorry TC !!

chris - thanks for the moral support, i'll give it another go - tho i had problems with the install screen - it deflated some files then stalled at the test screen. grr

cheers

joe

hey i got it working pretty easily...

Its interesting how wc4 doesnt like sound hardware accel off, but prophecy requires it to be so... hrmm

anyways...

is it possibel to run wc3 on windows xp then? is there a windows patch out there for it too?

what to do??

cheers

joe

Originally posted by wankski

then stalled at the test screen. grr

cheers

joe

Just Install it With no Sound and DO NOT run any video test etc.

You will definetly encounter some problems in the install screen but not in the game so dont worry.
After install the WIN95 patch
After that it will play perfectly with excellent sound and no need for win95 compatimpility or something.

thanks tigers claw !

i got it working, it would actaully stall after the files are deflated, i couldnt even move the mouse to do the test screen...

i think switching to compatibilty mode must have done it... dunno..

anyways the game is running FLAWLESSLY now ... i'm loving it, although at first the movies and sound were slow and stuttering cos i had sound accel switched OFF b/c thats what u gotta do for WCP in XP.... weirdly, when i switchedd it back on WC4 worked... strange..

anyways... i noticed a thing for the first time ( i only played WC4 once before back in prolly 96 when it came out or shortly after in 97 or something) but !! when blair at the start of the game shuttles out to his confed assignment in like the 2nd or 3rd cutscene, casper van diem ( sp? the guy from starship troopers) is among the pilots who greet blair with enthusiam after Maniac on one of his characteristic "story telling" recitals lets out with Blairs name.

well... i was exited damnit ... so many good memories.. cant wait to play this all over again.... (maybe when i dont have so much study to do eh? likely story.. hehe) but BEST STORY EVER !!

its weird that the movie was so weak... soulda expanded on WC4 plot methinks... conspiracy, deciet... lots of destruction.. i like it !

cheers

joe

Originally posted by wankski
its weird that the movie was so weak...
WCP? It's a return of the focus to gameplay. True the movies were pretty bad, but I'm in it for the game. :)

Originally posted by Wedge009
WCP? It's a return of the focus to gameplay. True the movies were pretty bad, but I'm in it for the game. :)

heh, that too !

i meant the MOVIE movie... heh ;)

Oh, the Movie movie... well, we all have our vastly differing opinions on that, there's no need to bring back that dead horse.

yeah, but how do u calibrate the stick in wc4?

not working for me.... i think i need the install screen now... meep...

cheers

joe

anyways... i noticed a thing for the first time ( i only played WC4 once before back in prolly 96 when it came out or shortly after in 97 or something) but !! when blair at the start of the game shuttles out to his confed assignment in like the 2nd or 3rd cutscene, casper van diem ( sp? the guy from starship troopers) is among the pilots who greet blair with enthusiam after Maniac on one of his characteristic "story telling" recitals lets out with Blairs name.

Yeah; I just got the DVD version from GOG, and noticed...Johnny Rico! (Casper's character from Starship Troopers, AND Starship Troopers 3. It exists). Don't know how many times I played this game, even after that incredible piece of cinema came out (yes, I refer to Starship Troopers), and I never recognized the greatest actor of the '90's (hey, he was also in that Tarzan movie!)

Rico's Roughnecks!

yeah, but how do u calibrate the stick in wc4?

not working for me.... i think i need the install screen now... meep...

Using the Win95 patch you will need to calibrate the stick in windows itself. Go to "game controllers" in the windows control panel to do this.

Back