WC4 Remake

but that all sounds very good.. you are doing an excellent job.. a bit of WC4 original flair with the original comm videos is perfectly acceptable ..but the color Comms from PSX a great Idea .. Hope it will give no Problems to get them..I can imagine how difficult it must be to extract them from the Playstation cd format

Last edited:
but that all sounds very good.. you are doing an excellent job.. a bit of WC4 original flair with the original comm videos is perfectly acceptable ..but the color Comms from PSX a great Idea .. Hope it will give no Problems to get them..I can imagine how difficult it must be to extract them from the Playstation cd format
some times the psx cds hold the data in plain view.

some times the psx cds hold the data in plain view.

We're able to extract the files, but they haven't been decoded yet. I've been holding out hope that the resident genius UnnamedCharacter will get to them as he did hit the WC3/4 era. Once we have them ODVS can start upscaling.

Good evening, Wingnuts!

We first wanted to say a big thank you to the community for the fan project of the year award! We had very stiff competition this year and it means a bunch to the whole crew that you thought highly enough of our project to cast your vote for us.

Secondly, we know it's been a bit since we posted an update here, We hit a bit of a snag going into the holidays with work, pandemics and the like, which slowed our progress some. but rest assured we haven't stopped working on it, in fact, we have a new update for you. The team has been hard at work bringing the TCS Lexington to life. We think she looks good, hope you do too!

Definitely looks awesome, though I must say, the video made it look like the player's Hellcat look quite big in comparison to the hangar, though I suppose having a realistic size ratio between the Lady Lex and the fighter would make her feel gigantic.

Definitely looks awesome, though I must say, the video made it look like the player's Hellcat look quite big in comparison to the hangar, though I suppose having a realistic size ratio between the Lady Lex and the fighter would make her feel gigantic.
it's likely caused by the camera on the fly-through shot. The meshes are all scaled to the WC4 game meshes, and you can fit two side-by-side on the runway inside the hangar. That said, if the game meshes are scaled improperly...well, that I can't do anything about. :p

it's likely caused by the camera on the fly-through shot. The meshes are all scaled to the WC4 game meshes, and you can fit two side-by-side on the runway inside the hangar. That said, if the game meshes are scaled improperly...well, that I can't do anything about. :p
Fair enough. The screenshot on the front page with the Hellcat in the hangar shows this indeed. It looks like the player plane is bigger than the Hellcat in the hangar behind, but it's a lot less weird than it felt with the initial viewing.

Fair enough. The screenshot on the front page with the Hellcat in the hangar shows this indeed. It looks like the player plane is bigger than the Hellcat in the hangar behind, but it's a lot less weird than it felt with the initial viewing.

To put it into perspective here is a shot from the original game, same size.
For the parked Hellcat's the size is currently 80%, I think I can bump that upto 90% if the placement is improved.
We have to maintain the sizes from the original game because we are using the original mission scripts so we can't adjust size for realism.
In the game the Hellcats are parked at 45 degrees, but they look like the remakes hangars in the pre-rendered rooms. Personally I think the scale difference is better than the disconnect between the game files and FMV.

Attachments

• original.png
    original.png
    284.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
To put it into perspective here is a shot from the original game, same size.
For the parked Hellcat's the size is currently 80%, I think I can bump that upto 90% if the placement is improved.
We have to maintain the sizes from the original game because we are using the original mission scripts so we can't adjust size for realism.
In the game the Hellcats are parked at 45 degrees, but they look like the remakes hangars in the pre-rendered rooms. Personally I think the scale difference is better than the disconnect between the game files and FMV.
I definitely understand the technical requirements for the project, and if there's an origin to the "issue", it lies definitely with the original game and the design choices. I was mostly surprised a bit by the video, but after looking more closely, it makes sense. Plus, it shows that the effects are good enough one starts noticing deeper realism elements than back in the original game.

Internally we finally have something playable from beginning to end but it's not ready for public release yet.
I'd say the demo is about 90% complete, just some AI and effects work to go. We are aiming for the CIC bday party in August for release but that depends on everyone's real life commitments.
Got a wave of excitement right here. I've been looking forward to this project for the longest time, and I do hope you can get something out by that time.

Got a wave of excitement right here. I've been looking forward to this project for the longest time, and I do hope you can get something out by that time.

Glad to hear it :) Still on track for the Birthday I'd say.
We have an AMD only graphics bug, and having no AMD to test with that could prove an issue. I've asked an old colleague who uses them and is familiar with Vulkan but he has a newborn and no guarantee. Worst case scenario I'll shell out for a card to use for testing; worst possible market to buy a cheap GPU though.
Also still a few models to go, including the new cockpit - so it's definitely not certain.

Still we are expecting another kid shortly, I'm eager to get a demo out before then to prove we can do it and hopefully recruit an extra programmer as I will be taking 6-12months off when the new screamer arrives.

Back