WC3 KS movie skips

Tarin

Spaceman
Hey. Since I've pretty much given up on trying to get WC3 to run on my XP, I tried a few days ago to get the game to run on my old pc with Win98 installed. The movies kept skipping...I thought it was the old CD drive.

Today I found out about the virtual pc and downloaded it, installing win98. I installed WC3 and guess what? The movies jump the same way. I'm talking about both sound and video.

What could this be?

Hey, you're right. That's a pretty unusual error to have in WC3. A lot of video skipping is caused by the sound card, so I might guess that what you have is somewhat incompatibile if it's some sort of built in thing. How fast is your computer? You could try DOSBox or VDMSound.

Well first of all we're talking about two different PC's doing the same thing...granted both have onboard sound cards...

My old pc is a Pentium 3 450 Mhz (64 RAM). The new one I'm using Virtual PC on is a Pentium 4 3Ghz. I set Virtual PC to 64 MB Ram too...

I don't think DOS box would work since this is KS, which as far as I know doesn't work with DOS. What's VDM Sound?

Doesn't work for me either...

I thought running it on Win98 would solve everything. I don't get it...

My KS WC3 skipped in videos too, and again it was adjusting the sound acceleration that fixed it for me. Instead of turning it off completely like for Prophecy, setting it to "basic acceleration" seemed to give me the best performance.

Running on Win98 with an updated version of DirectX and drivers will cause you to get some of the issues present in Windows XP

Actually I installed only the directX version that comes with the game, so that shouldn't be a problem.

If there was already a version of directx on your PC (winXP ships with one doesnt it?) installing the older directx version that came with the game over a newer version could also be causing the problem.

Well ,it seems I've finally managed to get the game to run with Win2000 in Virtual PC!

Thanks a lot for all the help (although it kinda proved irrelevant in the end :) )

Hopefully it'll keep working...

Back