Unexpected ending on last mission of Special Operations 1 (WC2)

Ansark

Spaceman
Hi

I just beated the infamous last mission of SO 1 (WC2), but I'm not completely sure about how has happened. I managed to destroy all Gothri and launched one torpedo to each Fraltha (don't know if they managed to explode). My Sabre was on its last breath: 0 armor on all sides, computer almost gone, damaged engines, a flashing eject warning etc. I expected to die in the next assault, but, nonetheless I was going to try. I was manouvering my Sabre in order to get one Falthra covered by the other, so I would have only faced 1 anti matter gun. I started hearing repeated impact noises. Continued maneuvering. Then, suddenly, both of the Fraltha's exploded at the same time.

I suspect that, since those Falthras follow you all the time, that I somehow managed to screw their path finding so badly they collided to each other.

I have heard about cases when they fire to each other, but that can't be the case, since I was very far away, and the collision sounds wouldn't make sense.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Anyways, mission acomplished, I guess.

PD: Whoever designed that mission can go to hell. 2 hours trying to beat it "the proper way". On my second attempt almost got it. Just 1 freaking torpedo run short. I was about to resort to cheats when this "miracle" happened.

It's also possible that both Fralthras were attempting to fire on you, but instead kept hitting each other with their AMGs.

It's also possible that both Fralthras were attempting to fire on you, but instead kept hitting each other with their AMGs.
But that would only make sense if my ship was between them, not 30+ km-s away from both. I was so far away that the Falthras only showed as minuscule pixel blobs against the background.

But that would only make sense if my ship was between them, not 30+ km-s away from both. I was so far away that the Falthras only showed as minuscule pixel blobs against the background.
Did you happen to be in the external view at the time?

No, I think I was using a side camera so that I could adjust my position while watching if the Falthras were aligned.
I seem to remember there's a bug that if you have a target locked and are in anything but forward cockpit view, the lock won't break regardless of the distance. In forward cockpit view, you normally lose lock around 20 klicks. Because it doesn't drop the lock in the alternate views, the targets will automatically be destroyed once you reach the game's range limit of when it would display a darker shade (non targetable) blip on the radar.

I think people used to exploit this to beat hard missions - this one in particular. Seems you stumbled onto it by accident.

I seem to remember there's a bug that if you have a target locked and are in anything but forward cockpit view, the lock won't break regardless of the distance. In forward cockpit view, you normally lose lock around 20 klicks. Because it doesn't drop the lock in the alternate views, the targets will automatically be destroyed once you reach the game's range limit of when it would display a darker shade (non targetable) blip on the radar.

I think people used to exploit this to beat hard missions - this one in particular. Seems you stumbled onto it by accident.
I don't think I had anything locked. Plus, as far as I know, you can't lock two ships at the same time, and they both exploded at the same time.

In any case. Nice to know. I may try the exploit you mention if I ever play SO1 again.

I don't think I had anything locked. Plus, as far as I know, you can't lock two ships at the same time, and they both exploded at the same time.

In any case. Nice to know. I may try the exploit you mention if I ever play SO1 again.
Sorry I should clarify - *all* hostile ships will explode, not just the targeted one.

Sorry I should clarify - *all* hostile ships will explode, not just the targeted one.
Hmm, I guess it could be that. Although I remember changing the camera all the time. And there are still those collision sounds.

Thanks for the info.

Back