Ue2????

HAHAHA Quarto, if I were you, I'd be going out of my mind by now. You just finished Standoff and only a few months later, here we have the fans going, "It's awesome, now wheres UE2??"

The funny thing is, if you guys did do a UE2, the moment you got done with that, like clock work, you'd see a "Standoff2??" thread pop up. :p

you are bringing me to new ideas :D

since standoff is based upon the novel fleet action, how about "converting" all the novels to games?

this would fit the gap between the original wc games

There's already been more than a few questions about Standoff 2. It doesn't really bother us. I mean, it's nice to hear that people enjoyed Standoff enough to want a sequel, but we're not in any way obliged to listen to their demands.

you are bringing me to new ideas :D

since standoff is based upon the novel fleet action, how about "converting" all the novels to games?

this would fit the gap between the original wc games

The problem is most of the novels (those not based on games) have very little combat in them. End Run might be possible, but the others don't lend themselves to long campaigns...

The problem is most of the novels (those not based on games) have very little combat in them. End Run might be possible, but the others don't lend themselves to long campaigns...

IIRC, Freedom Flight is already based on the events of a game anyway?

But personally, I would love to see an Action Stations mod that let you play through the Ambush. There's enough combat there for a medium length campaign.

I don't think I'd want to do another WC book adaptation. It was a fun thing to do, but doing the same thing again just wouldn't be enjoyable. If I wind up doing another WC project, it's likely to be pretty much the exact opposite of Standoff.

I don't think I'd want to do another WC book adaptation. It was a fun thing to do, but doing the same thing again just wouldn't be enjoyable. If I wind up doing another WC project, it's likely to be pretty much the exact opposite of Standoff.

You brain storming something totally original over there?

Not really. I *always* have ideas in my head spinning around, sometimes something evolves out of them. But for the time being, I have too much on my plate to even think about a new project. Maybe in a few months.

You're asking about a sequel to a game you haven't played? :)

The problem with UE's story is that it was designed to incorporate as many features as possible. Not on a selective basis, but rather anything that occured to us and seemed like it might be fun was immediately written into the story. Some of that just means the game was a bit chaotic and overloaded with half-used features (e.g., asteroid fighters, jamming, etc.) - that we can live with. In fact, that kind of thing is usually a good starting point for a sequel. But then, there are also features that simply do not fit in with the rest of the universe, and spoil the story - things like the Border Worlds equipping their fighters with a rapid-fire capship-killing gun, and other such stuff.

As for Standoff, the patch is just basic maintenance stuff - there's still a few bug reports that we haven't taken care of. Besides that, we've also (still! Pierre, where are you? ;) ) got some unfinished simulator missions - that is to say, they haven't been re-worked to work with the online scoreboard.

**** CONTAINS SPOILERS ****

I have completed UE today and must admit it wasn't that bad, I liked the storyline with the inferior border worlds ships and equipment. I also enjoyed the bound between the kilrathi and the UBW.

the storyline was not chaotic, it made sense. however i must agree, that some cool features were not exhausted ( asteroid fighter, jamming, kilrathi fighters, kilrathi wingmen), this is probably due to the lack of missions ( 10 is not very much).

the stormfire gun was not imbalanced and fited the philosphy of the border worlds pretty good. like in wc4 the border worlds always tinker on their ships and guns.

too bad, that some cool ships from the sim were not flyable in the game ( avenger bomber, bearcat). instead most missions were flown in that lousy scimitar. I understand, that the dauntless was cut off of its main figther fleet, but still it sucked to fly the scimitar for so many missions.

i enjoyed the ficiton and the cutscenes and the creative ideas a lot.

still I am positive that a second part would round up the story, since the storyline is not exhausted after all.

the dauntless would receive back her whole squadron, maybe some new ships ( vindicator e.g.) and the story could continue of after WCSO, when UBW, Kilrathi and confed unite against the nephs.

the fans would be grateful and besides, you said doing another UE is not so time consuming after all ;)

the fans would be grateful and besides, you said doing another UE is not so time consuming after all ;)
A project like UE would not be so time consuming - but I would never stoop so low :). After all the advances made in Standoff, how could we possibly backtrack to the level of UE?

Besides, regardless of how long it would take, let me just repeat this again: there will never be a UE2. If I wind up doing another WC project, it's going to take on a new subject. Even if I were to return to the subjects from UE (the Border Worlds, etc.), I would actually start from scratch, pretending that UE never existed, because I don't like a lot of the things we did in the UE story.

After all the advances made in Standoff, how could we possibly backtrack to the level of UE?

simple, it would preserve the "charme" of UE, call it an add on if you want ;)

nevertheless, I understand your position.

however, I think there is a lot of potenital with border worlds and nephs in a game

Yeah, definitely - we'll see what Jason does with them in his mod.

(me, if I went back to the Border Worlds, I think I'd skip the bugs, and go back to tell some story either before or after the BL crisis)

mmh, telling the landreich story would be interesting

I cannot recall any game in the wc universe that broaches the issue of the landreich and their conflicts with the kilrathi / pirates

mmh, telling the landreich story would be interesting

I cannot recall any game in the wc universe that broaches the issue of the landreich and their conflicts with the kilrathi / pirates

Besides I think it would be interesting to see how the FRL takes care of the bugs.

Back