Story Line Twists (WC3 + Armada TV series)

NuAngel

Rear Admiral
Aboard the TCS Victory, we meet up with Rachel. She tells the story of "her guy" and how he went out on patrol, and just... kept flying.

Having not seen the show since 1996 when it was on TV, it's been good to rewatch some of the series (and as I side note, I remember seeing the "space viking" thing - thinking "what's that mortal kombat guy doing in Wing Commander!?" - but in 1996, the internet didn't exactly have the same info it does these days, so it went by the way-side and I ended up forgetting about it until this site reminded me a few days ago!).

ANYWAYS, in episode 2 of the series (The Last Hero) Damon Karnes tells the story that 'he went out on patrol and just... kept flying.'

Anyone else ever think that perhaps Karnes was Rachel's long lost flame?

(This has probably been hashed over a million times, but I just thought I'd bring it to light, for the WC Historians out there).

BTW, do member accounts expire? I could've sworn I was a member here at Crius a few years ago (back when the first Homeworld mod, "WC: Fleet Action" {or something like that} was in the works).

NuAngel

There's too much of a time gap, and probably lots of pilots that disappeared. Rachel would have been about 15 years old in WC1, even younger when Damon Karnes disappeared.

Though I don't think she would've been only 15 in WC1 (what was her age when she served on the Victory?), your logic about how young she would've been when Karnes disappeared is without flaw.

I guess I just got overly anxious. ;)

Nu

NuAngel said:
BTW, do member accounts expire? I could've sworn I was a member here at Crius a few years ago (back when the first Homeworld mod, "WC: Fleet Action" {or something like that} was in the works).

NuAngel

Depending on how long ago... As far as I know accounts don't expire. However if you were a Crius member pre 2000 then it's entirely possible. The original "red" CZ fell prey to the Y2K bug. I pretty much didnt post at all circa 2000 so when I returned in 2001, I ended up having to re-register. (I even remember the password the CIC gave me for the old board: Twbcck )

Karnes disappeared "about ten years ago" as of Wing Commander Academy, which would be 2644 -- or 25 years before Wing Commander III. Rachel was "not yet thirty" in Wing Commander III... so, at most she was about four years old when he disappeared.

It's an interesting thought, though, I don't think anyone has suggested it before.

(The novel has some more specifics about Rachel's previous boyfriend... but not a name. His wingman, however, was 'Shooter'. There's an interesting contradiction, too -- the game says he took a Thunderbolt on his last mission... the book says an Arrow.)

Back