Standoff Won't Load: "GL::resize query failed"

*JJ*

Spaceman
I keep getting this error message. I've re-downloaded and re-installed Secret Ops, and I've re-installed Standoff.

Can anyone help?

I read the FAQ and tried it on both 95 and 98 compatibility before I posted here. No luck with either.

I tried all of the resolutions too, but I didn't try 16-bit color. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a go after work.

Thankfully this problem is soon (as in, minutes) to be a thing of the past for openGL capable video cards!

if graphics do not display properly (i.e. not at all) on loading, does that mean that the graphics card is not openGL capable? I have a laptop, a few years old. It runs Standoff well enough in DirectX mode but of course I'm missing some of the new visual goodies.

Try running openGL in windowed mode, with a small window - that should let you see if any error messages pop up in a dialog window. If it's really just a black screen with no errors and no sign of the game working nor actually crashing, I think it might be openGL indeed - but Pierre or Pedro can probably tell you how to run a test to be sure of it.

Try running openGL in windowed mode, with a small window - that should let you see if any error messages pop up in a dialog window. If it's really just a black screen with no errors and no sign of the game working nor actually crashing, I think it might be openGL indeed - but Pierre or Pedro can probably tell you how to run a test to be sure of it.

I'll try it when I get home from work. Thanks!

Definately run in windowed mode first, as no resolution should fail so long as its smaller than the screen size.
Its hard to guess with no feedback, it could be that some of my code somewhere requires a higher version of OpenGL than Windows native 1.1 (although vista is 1.4 native and that is definately high enough). Try updating your graphics card drivers.

If it's really just a black screen with no errors and no sign of the game working nor actually crashing, I think it might be openGL indeed...
Actually, I did get that effect on occasion when I first started (the experience was complete with the "System Error" Windows sound), but it stopped after a while. I hate errors which are difficult to reproduce. Makes it so difficult to pin down the cause of problems.

Back