Standoff Online?

FireFly

Spaceman
After Ep.5 is complete

What are you guys gonna do

Think there might be a possibility of a standoff online?

Standoff... online? Definitely not. An online game is the most complex, time-consuming project you can think of. Only crazy people do that kind of thing with no financial backing.

(plus, I don't know about the rest of the team, but I personally can't stand online games)

I think he might have meant something along the lines of WCP MP instead of literally Standoff online.

I think he means multi-player using HCl's mod. No need to turn your anti-MMO defenses on, Q. ;)
(Edit: Damn, the beta tester beat me to it. Keep up the good work! :p)

I can't say for sure - I haven't ever looked at how HCl' MP mod works... but if it's possible and not too time consuming, we could make it work with Standoff after Ep 5 is out. Pete would be the one to tell me how feasible that is, I guess we'll talk about it after Ep 5.

Anything more complex than what HCl's patch can provide us is out of the question, though.

MMOs = the product of the devil.

But an online recreation of the battle of earth... that would make my heart sing.

Well where HCl's patch stands now it wouldn't be possible to recreate BoT. Last time I talked to him about it he said he was working on asteroids and corvettes. Maybe one day a co-op type of battle could be possible, but I don't see it happening too soon. But it is always good to keep your hopes up, or ask HCl about it.

Hopefully tonight I'll have some time to go through and crush some of the bugs I've posted, so that's another step closer :)

(plus, I don't know about the rest of the team, but I personally can't stand online games)

I'm with you on that one (too) -
Give me a good, well developed, well thought of environment and storyline... and keep all the 10-12 year old munchkin-kids out of of my hair.

(That's not to say that an MMO isn't a good thing once in a while... like ARENA!)

so youre tellin me a wc online game would be crap

with the right idead it could work eg. team battles, capture the flag n all dt

They're complaining about Massively Multiplayer online games, like Ultima Online or World of Warcraft. There are several multiplayer Wing Commander games already, including Armada, Arena and Prophecy GBA.

We are all hoping that soon such things would be possible when HCl can do more work on the WCP MP patch, as it stands now we can do team battles (people just choose the same team during launch) and FFA.

As has been said before though, currently MP matches can just become turning battles where the advantage lies with the host because of lag issues. 4+ person games can be really fun though because there is so much going on it feels like a real furball instead of just trying to out turn the other player.

Most certainly not, nobody has said that here. Only a few people, including myself, are not fans of pure online games.

For me, that does apply to any online game, not necessarily WoW-like games alone but that is a very personal view, one I can't even really give reasons about.

I am certain that a WC online game could be the best online game ever - it just would not be my favourite game.

Back