Smilies

KrisV

Administrator
Alright, everyone listen up.

I've noticed a lot of you have been using smilies from other sites. The fact they get annoying real quick aside, you are stealing bandwidth from those sites. It's the nightmare of everyone who has server bills to pay. It's just not a nice thing to do. So either stick to the smilies on this server, or mirror other images on a server you are paying for, provided you are allowed to copy the image.

i started it so i will explain. the site that i get the smilies from (http://mysmilies.com/as/cwm-cwm.shtml) is specificly there to be used in the manner in which me and a couple of others are using them.

here is a copy of the rules as stated on the site (i added the underline

Copyright Notice:
1.) I own the copyright to all the smileys in the cwm's smilies section of this page.
2.) If you wish to use those smileys on your website you must ask permission (i will ask you to put a link to my site somewhere we can agree on so as to give credit where it is due) You don't need to ask permission to just post the smileys on your favorite board (note: im sure that could include this bord as well)
3.) All the rest of the smileys are either copyrighted by someone else or are public domain.
4.) If you see a smiley you have created and wish for me to take it off or give you credit, please email me and i'll do it ASAP =)
5.) All the coding & other content is my work as well.
6.) The following applies to all of the smilies:
"These pictures are copyrighted by their creators. They may not be used in violation of those copyrights, and specifically may not be sold, redistributed electronically or by physical media, placed on any web site that requires membership fees, used by any commercial entity or individual making a project-for-hire without permission. Distribution privileges granted to this web site do not grant distribution privileges to any other entity."

don't worry. last time i used these loaf said the exact same thing. if people didn't want the smilies used on message bords they wouldnt have included them on that site

I don't know when they were put on a server specifically to be hotlinked, and I don't feel like checking each time. And I'm also worried about some people not being able to make that distinction when there's a lot of this going on.

[Edit]

For instance, mpanty hotlinked an image from 3dpcgames.com. At first glance I don't see anything there stating those smilies can be used in that way. I don't want people on my Chat Zone (perhaps unknowingly) using up someone else's bandwidth, but I certainly don't want to be forced to check every image posted to avoid that either.

well with these smilies you can rest easy. most of them are probably hosted or on that free internet space that you get when you get internet service.

Well lets only use them when necessary. With overuse, they become less effective at conveying emotion. Aren't we chatting, therefore typing words?

I think it's silly to go to all the trouble of using external smilies in the first place. I've never even used half of the ones provided right here.

What's wrong with using smileys in the first place? :(

Aside from the fact LOAF hates them, and they get annoying to Kris very quick, I acknowledge that an overuse and abuse of them is rather disturbing... but now and then, to bring some "colour" in the CIC, where's the harm?

As for the bandwidth problem, as $tormin pointed out in the rules he copied, I don't see any problem with that... but for my side, I never meant to abuse...
I think using them in a sober manner is a fair arrangement! :)

The problem is that some people use smilies everytime they post, and sometimes post just to use them. THe latter doesnt happen often but it does happen.

Lowering the number of images allowed per post, IMHO, is not the best solution, since sometimes the current limit of 2 is already annoying...
For example, when I want to post screenshots of something I'm doing for my mod. And since those images are hosted on my personal webspace, they don't fit into the "eating up someone else's bandwith" category, which is what Kris mentioned in his original post.
I understand that there should be a limit so people don't post 10 huge images on the same post, thus making it impossible to load that thread... but lowering this limit even further? I don't think it's the easiest way out of this problem.

--Eder

Is it possible to place just text smilies, rather then replacing them all with the graphics? That way you can use them freely and in the manner in which they were intended - to convey an emotion or facial expression, and you don't have to worry about exceeding your smiley limit or other peoples bandwidth.

Of course, then you have everybody injuring their necks, or damaging their monitors trying to turn them on their side. :]

Just select the 'disable smilies in this post' checkbox at the bottom of your message.... then they'll turn out as text, like this :)

Since $tormin established the "bandwidth" problem is not a problem really, those who find smileys "annoying" can just "turn them off" (with the "disable" option), and if you want to apply this to external images, perhaps you can insert an option to "disable images" as well...

This way everyone's happy... :)

a little anecdote about those smileys... In France we used to tell "smiley", but since our great French Academy wants to protect our language, they decided to change the word to "frimousses" ! Yes, and freeware to "graticiel", Frequently asked questions to "foire au questions", even our game over is banned: now it is "fin de partie"... argghhh... need someone to deliver me !!!

We already debated this once... and it pissed the admins off for mentioning foreign languages.... ;)

But I agree, the "académiciens" are very annoying regarding "francisation" of English terms...

BTW, where do you live NoRemorse? Sadic and I live in Paris... :)

Back