Re: "Home-Made" LCD Monitors...?

TigerNobleHeart

Rear Admiral
Okay, a year ago, someone had dropped off some used LCD panels for this laptop project he was working on. When I asked him about it months later, he totally forgot about his "project" and just gave them to me. (Brilliant tech guy, just has the attention span of an ADD pre-schooler at times. <G>) Now, I'm stuck with two LCD panels that are taking up space...

So I was wondering if there was some website or "how-to" book that tells a person how to make his own homemade LCD monitors for his PC. Keep thinking that if there was someone bold (and skilled ) enough to make his own handheld PS2, there has to be someone who's made "homemade" LCD monitors.
Heck, I'm long overdue for a trip to Radio Shack. :p

If the LCDs are anything worth making a monitor out of, they'll be too difficult to make into a monitor cheaply, unfortunately. (Basically, that's any panel with a resolution greater than 800x600). With LCDs of that resolution, there are plenty of drive cards you can get (they either take VGA in and drive the LCD, or are a plugin PCI card). Check out EarthLCD.com

Higher-res LCDs don't have that option as their drive circuits are driven quite differently. I do know of kits that can be purchased to adapt them regular VGA/DVI, but it costs around $300. Unless the panel is particularly good, considering a 17" LCD is under $300 for fairly decent specs...

Might be worth it if you were planning a side-panel for your case, but otherwise, you'd be better off just ebaying them.

Back