Privateer MP3's - 8 minute loop

CCRider

Spaceman
My sincere thanks to Mad Hatter for the MP3's. They're great. I saw one thread about wanting to loop the ambience songs - which is what I also wanted. I picked two of my favorite songs, Agriculture planet & Pleasure planet, and looped them 5 times after trimming them in the right places. I used Goldwave as Mad Hatter suggested. Very cool.

I'm still trying to find the best way to emulate the old SoundBlaster. I wouldn't mind having those in MP3 format too.

Incidentally, in case you're wondering when I'll be playing the ambience songs, I'll be in Houston, TX traffic. The music will take the edge off.

CC Rider

Shipgate,

Weren't you the interested party that wanted the loops? I think you were the original poster that got me interested in this little project.

Anyway, right now they reside on my hard drive. I've been working today on getting several other ones finalized. The tricky bit is to make the "loop" a seamless one, rather simply pasting the song 4 or 5 times.

If you would like to evaluate them for me that would be great. I must tell you that I am on a pathetic dial-up account - no DSL or cable available in my area. In other words, it would be a slow process to upload them.

Most of the songs loop about 5 times, except Oxford. I only did it twice, and I'm not sure I'm happy with it. Here are the song names and file sizes [I used the MP3's from Mad Hatter as a starting point]:

New Constantinople loop 8.5 meg
Pleasure loop 8 meg
Agriculture loop 7.5 meg
Inflight loop 7.2 meg
Launch loop 7 meg
Steltek Destroyed loop 3.4 meg
Oxford loop 2.3 meg.

Let me know where to upload them and I'll send them along.

Sweet ambience.

CC Rider

Indeed...

Yes it was me who wanted those mp3 files to be longer. And I had quite a bit of debate about the nature of those songs too. While I do like the orchestrated versions of those songs, I really wanted to hear them the way I remember them when I played Privateer on my old 386. And even most MIDI's I heard of those tracks never sounded quite as good as I once had them.

And I'd be happy with them even if they were five minutes as opposed to a minute and a half. But I'm sure that however you're going about it that they probably sound pretty good. I'll have to let you know later where to upload them.

For now it is late and I just got home. I must sleep. So sleepy.....so sleeeepyyyy.........crash.......

Shipgate,

I'm very pleased with most of the MP3 loops. Obviously, the originals were high quality. All I did was insure that the transitions are seamless, or nearly so.

If one of the Op's reads this,

The simplest thing for me would be to UPLOAD THEM HERE.

Any possibility of that?

CCRider

I don't know.

To be honest I'm not sure if you can upload them here. I guess you should ask one of the fellas who work on this website. I'm not even sure how you upload things anymore. I swear I used to think I knew a lot about computers and everyday I realize I can't do even the simplest of things anymore. But I really do wanna hear those mp3's and see how good they sound. So you might just want to ask around a bit. Maybe someone else can help you out.

I have uploaded most of the songs to WC CIC's ftp. Kris helped me there. I presume someone will review them soon and make them available if they meet quality standards.

I will keep working on Oxford. It has an awkward transition which I don't like, so I haven't finished it yet.

CC Rider

Kudos to CC Rider...

These aren't quite the way I had them on my 386. I don't know if anyone's sounded the way mine did on my old 386. However, these are so far the most excellent Privateer music files I've heard yet. I love how long they are, the quality is good, and these will be easy to burn on a CD.

At last I've got some nice Privateer background music I can play in my room and my car for driving late at night. Precious ambiance.

I know there was some debate over why I would prefer that MIDI sound to orchestrated sound, or why I would want them to be so long, but something about these songs makes me just prefer them that way.

By the way, will you also have the Refinery, Mining, and New Detroit Base?

Thanks again. :D

Share the love! Share those MP3's!!! Plz post a link or something to where we can also enjoy long drives and lonely nights with some Privateer music to set the mood! :)

RFBurns: The MP3's are now in the CIC's music library. They are also currently linked from the main page.

Shipgate: Refinery, Mining, and New Detroit Base are not as dynamic as the other music. Also, Oxford was just plain difficult to get right. I may dig back in, but later.

I'm also interested in the FM Synthesis sound from my old system. I sent a note to MadHatter a few days ago and got a good suggestion from him on how to make it happen. If I can get it to work, I'll tell you about it. In any case, I'll report back and let you know what happens.

In the meantime, I'm going to hunt for a Roland Sound Canvas and mess around with Strike Commander.

Enjoy the loops.

CCRider

Thanks for the feedback guys. The Ag Planet is definitely my favorite too. I spent a lot of time getting it right. Although, the drum sequence on New Constantinople was also fun.

Tonight I've been playing with two systems tied together. I'm using a DOS-based system running Privateer with Sound Blaster FM Synthesis output [thanks MadHatter]. I'm running that to the "line in" on my other system that has Goldwave, the recording/editing tool [awesome program]. I just finished recording/editing/filtering the entire opening sequence of Privateer ["Who are you that flies so good. Are you insane!"]

I like it. It's now an MP3. I've always wanted to have that one around.

Curiously, there's a sound bite in the VOC files that isn't used. Our hero says "Rest in pieces". I almost put it in just for fun.

I'm now going to spend a little time recording the ambience sounds from the various planets and see how good they sound. I'll keep you posted.

CCRider

I agree

I really do like the agriculture planet one a lot. I just wish that bell chime didn't ring so frequently in it. These really are great files though. I hate to bug you again about this, but will there be a mining base and refinery base mp3?

I'm glad to see my recordings have been put to good use. One of the reasons I didn't loop any of the themes was that anyone can take them and do with them as they please.

Shipgate, I have a partially completed refinery loop. However, if you will look at the "High Quality MIDI Recordings" under Privateer, you will notice that there is no listing for Mining Base. There really isn't much music and there are long pauses.

Still, it would be nice to complete the collection. What do you say Mad Hatter?

Incidentally, what is your perspective on the Virtual Sound Canvas? How does it compare to the hardware variety of the SC?

Back