Privateer is skippy in XP

U

Unregistered

Privateer remake is skippy when I run the game, no matter how low I put the display settings, it runs like Half-Life 2 would on a 800mhz processer -w- 32 RAM
U know what I mean??

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 8200

1.6 Gig P4
768 RAM
64mb Nvidia GeForce440 Go video card -w- 5.6.7.3 Nvidia drivers
Windows XP Pro SP2

PLease help

It's running fine on my 700MHz Athlon, 384MB RAM and GeForc256DDR ;-)

WinXP/SP2.

(only 800x600 without per-pixel effects, but framerates are almost always above 50, although they do dip down into the 20s on occaision)

skippy in xp con't

I tried upgrading to the most modern drivers for my graphics card and for my motherboard. Nothing changed with the performance on privateer, it's still skippy. I know this is a solvable issue, I know there's some genius out there that can conjer a solution. If you get the solution, you win a biscut!!!

A biscuit?! Oh boy! I'd better try then ;-)

What settings are you using? (when running "Setup Privateer")

Optimized: Display lists
Sharp bases
Meduim Detail
640*480 res
I've tried all 4 options for the "color" setting 16-bit/32-bit windowed and fullscreen
no specular lighting
mouse is set to drag to steer

thanks for your help

The biggest thing would be to select one of the non-"per-pixel" modes. 800x600x32 should play great on your system. Higher rez should also play just fine.

I don't see anything there that could be causing your problems. You might try *not* using drag-to-steer (I don't use it myself).

What does the ingame framerate counter say? (top right corner)

I'm on a p3-500 w/ 390 mb of memory.

I use 256 mb, Optimized Display Lists, Sharp filtered bases, Medium detail, 1024x768x32, reflective-per-pixel and it runs just fine for me.

Only problem is the game freezes completely sometimes when you autopilot or jump - this lasts for about 10 seconds.

ApaKaka said:
Only problem is the game freezes completely sometimes when you autopilot or jump - this lasts for about 10 seconds.

Yeah, I get that too. It's called not having enough memory ;-)

The worst thing is that it can also happen sometimes a while after the jump (new ships jump in and their models/textures aren't in memory). This could be handled more gracefully, I think.

At least the game freezes *completely* (i.e. other ships as well).

Yeah, I figured that has with the texture and map loading too.

It's not too annoying and doesn't detract much from the game really - since this game is soo cool and such a flashback to my younger days of Privateer in the 90's.

Thanks for all the hard work guys.

Back