Pre-WC3 thoughts...

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
I was just wondering what everyone thought WC2's sequal was going to be like? Did anyone hope that we'd be reunited with the crew of the Concordia: Major Edmund, Stingray, Doomsday, and Sparks.

Did anyone see the Concordia's foundering, Angel's death, or hobbes' treachery coming?

IF anyone can remember, what did you originally think WC3 would be like?

The first thing I heard about Wing Commander 3 was back in late 1993 or early 1994 on CompUServ... when they claimed it would be set after the war was "lost" and would involve Bluehair leading a band of resistance fighters against Kilrathi occupiers/overlords. Not sure exactly where that rumor came from or where it went...

The first thing I heard about Wing Commander 3 was back in late 1993 or early 1994 on CompUServ... when they claimed it would be set after the war was "lost" and would involve Bluehair leading a band of resistance fighters against Kilrathi occupiers/overlords. Not sure exactly where that rumor came from or where it went...

Shame... even though I loved WC3, I would have royally loved to have been part of the resistance movement that was all that was left of humanity's war effort.

On a semi-related note, is there anything we know about SO3 other than "the Wraith would be in it"?

On a semi-related note, is there anything we know about SO3 other than "the Wraith would be in it"?

I once saw a purported script for SO3 that included Sparks going Mandarin because she was outraged that Bluehair hooked up with Angel.

I have no idea if this was real in any way, shape, or form.

I don't think the Wraith would have been in "SO3" - if I said that before (and I hope I didn't), then it wasn't true. The Wraith and Jrathek were created specifically as the Academy-Armada bridge at a later point by a slightly different art team...

Ok just so I'm not totally off my nut:

Bluehair = Blair before he was given a name?

Yes. The lore is that Blair is short for BLuehAIR which in turn was how people refered to the player character before he had a name (though there were apparently a few suggested names put forth by the team making the games quite early on).

I don't think the Wraith would have been in "SO3" - if I said that before (and I hope I didn't), then it wasn't true. The Wraith and Jrathek were created specifically as the Academy-Armada bridge at a later point by a slightly different art team...
Hmm... well, the question remains - do we know anything at all about what was meant to be in SO3?

(...or the second Priv addon, for that matter)

Yes. The lore is that Blair is short for BLuehAIR which in turn was how people refered to the player character before he had a name (though there were apparently a few suggested names put forth by the team making the games quite early on).

This must be where Lt. Armstrong came from.

I was just wondering what everyone thought WC2's sequal was going to be like? Did anyone hope that we'd be reunited with the crew of the Concordia: Major Edmund, Stingray, Doomsday, and Sparks.

Did anyone see the Concordia's foundering, Angel's death, or hobbes' treachery coming?

IF anyone can remember, what did you originally think WC3 would be like?

Well I didn't have a pc until several years after WC3 was released (Wing Commander: Prophecy Gold was the first game I bought f.y.i.). I first played WC1 and The Secret Missions on SNES. Then I jumped from there to WC3 on PSX.

I remember countless suprises and questions just from the opening cutscene: The Tiger's Claw was destroyed!, Blair (once I figured out he was the guy from the first games) and Angel together, and what was the Concordia and why should I care that it was destroyed.

Since then I have bought all the games for pc and WC3 makes much more since now.

I didn't know anything about WC 3 and I didn't even think about what I expected, I just bought it.
It was only along the playing (my brother played it first because only his computer was fast enough) that I read about it in other medias.

I was shocked that the Kilrathi war should be ended, that Hobbes was the traitor, that Angel died and found it lame that the Concordia was destryoed at the beginning. I missed some tie-ins with the earlier games. Event though I have changed my opinion on some of these points, WC3 remains my least favourite WC game.
I would have loved the resistance style game, though I think mostly because of the fact that the Kilrathi had won. :)

SO3 ? How cool would that have been? I remember reading something about it on these forums a ling time ago...

Hmm... well, the question remains - do we know anything at all about what was meant to be in SO3?

I don't think there was ever a solid plot. My understanding is that the original idea (in 1992) was to develop Wing Commander III immediately along the same lines as WC1 and 2... to have it done on a ~twelve month development cycle (so, a Chritmas 1993 release).

Under that plan Special Operations 3 would have been a 'bridge' story written by the team that scripted Wing Commander III - essentially the same thing as Secret Missions 2 (which was written by Guon and Beeman to introduce WC2's storylines). WC3 quickly became a very different project with a long-term development plan and SO3 disappeared.

(Selling an addon to a 1991 release in mid-1994 probably wouldn't have been financially viable... and Wing Commander III ended up being written by outside contractors... and it obviously wanted to avoid being directly assosciated with the different art/storytelling style/etc. of WC2. Instead Wing Commander Armada was done as the 'bridge' game.)

(...or the second Priv addon, for that matter)

I've also seen quite a few Privateer 3D models that may have been part of this - a torpedo, an EMP missile, a Strakha, etc... or maybe they were just things left out of Privateer. I don't know how much (if any) development was done on the second Privateer addon ("Secret Operations", I think), but it's possible that the storyline was what appears in the 1995 series bible after Righteous Fire. It talks about marines quelling riots in Gemini or somesuch and has been reprinted in Star*Soldier.

Yes, the many names of Christopher Blair.

We've recently found (in a copy of Point of Origin) that 'Blair' was used as a last name as early as 1991, in the wake of Wing Commander II. An internal article refers to him as "Arturo Blair" (for 'Our Hero Bluehair'). The name first shows up in the canon in the 1992 novel Freedom Flight in a brief cameo.

He was named 'Carl Lafong' in "Wing Commander I & II: The Ultimate Strategy Guide", apparently the result of a memo sent to everyone at Origin asking for a name. The name is from a running joke in the WC (zorp!) Fields movie "It's a Gift", where characters are constantly looking for Carl Lafong (who never appears).

Several console ports give the character a name (or just callsign) to avoid having to rewrite all the in-game dialogue to remove the personalizations (like they did for Privateer). In the SegaCD version he's just called "Hotshot" and in Super Wing Commander he's "Maverick" Armstrong (certainly named after the first man on the moon).

Early character sketches for Wing Commander III have the character labeled "Roberts" instead of Blair.

The 'mouth script' for Wing Commander I is programmed to say 'dipstick' whenever the character's name is mentioned.

Blair's callsign in the WC2-era bible was said to be "Falcon" and then changed to "Phoenix" as he rises again in Wing Commander 2. This is referenced once in continuity, in End Run... which mentions Phoenix and his wingmate saving the Concordia. They eventually chose Chris Roberts' callsign, Maverick, for the character... and it first appears (other than in SWC) in the Wing Commander III novelization.

Yup... there's a few others, too - the variable for the medal in the award ceremony gets spoken as "wet noodle".

Back