Playing wing commander

KateP

Spaceman
Hi guys I have been in to the games for ages but one thing how would I go about playing them now would an emulator be the way to go

I have wc 3 and 4 from there ps1 release and they run on the ps2 so there's np there but I have never played wc 2 and would would love to find it I have played the original game but also would love to be able to play it again

just looking for advice

also the movie was the soundtrack ever released

Amazon marketplace tends to stock the old Wing Commander games at not too crippling a price. Otherwise eBay is an option.

There's a whole section on this site called 'Run Old Games' which will explain how to get them running on a PC, in some cases using a program called dosBox.

Hi guys I have been in to the games for ages but one thing how would I go about playing them now would an emulator be the way to go

I have wc 3 and 4 from there ps1 release and they run on the ps2 so there's np there but I have never played wc 2 and would would love to find it I have played the original game but also would love to be able to play it again

just looking for advice

also the movie was the soundtrack ever released

Emulators of sorts are kind of the prefered way to play WC1,2. That's essentially what dosbox is and what you would need to play the original WC1 and 2. The dos versions of WC 1 and 2 are usually relatively cheap on Ebay or the like.

The Kilrathi Saga versions on the other hand tend to be overpriced and finicky to get running properly in WinXP and vista, and in some cases impossible.

Also, while the PS1 versions of WC3 and 4 are great, the PC versions are the prefered versions. Whereas the PS1 version of WC3 actually has more video but worse controls than the PC version WC4 is nicely tuned to the analog controler but features worse video quality and an abridged story.

Wing COmmander Prophecy is only available in PC and gameboy advance flavors, but the GBS - while a tecnical feat - is also severely abridged.WC3 is often easier to get running in dos than windows as well, but WC4 and Prophecy usually run nicely in windows with a few apropriate tweaks.

I did find the box set of wc 1 2 and 3 on ebay but it was at a price of $249 I would be willing to pay that but I am worried that it will not run on my pc I have 2 a pc running vista and one running xp the xp one will run my copy of prophecy and wc 4

I did find the box set of wc 1 2 and 3 on ebay but it was at a price of $249 I would be willing to pay that but I am worried that it will not run on my pc I have 2 a pc running vista and one running xp the xp one will run my copy of prophecy and wc 4

That's probably the Win95 Kilrathi Saga edition which is overpriced and often glitchy. The dos versions are cheaper and should run in Dosbox on pretty much any platform just fine.

That's not to say The Kilrathi Saga edition doesn't have it's merits but it's pretty much for serious collectors only at this point. People who just want to play the games need not resort to such exhorbitant prices.

Cheapest deal I noticed was the CD-rom deluxe edition of WC2. and the mile hight club set wich included Wing Commander Academy(the game), and wing commander 1. you can run them both in dosbox using the configuration hints righthere on this very forum :p

Kilrathi saga mint or even sealed copies you can still purchase on collectors events, but they come at thesame price as a vinyl motley crue picturedisc from the 80's

That's probably the Win95 Kilrathi Saga edition which is overpriced and often glitchy. The dos versions are cheaper and should run in Dosbox on pretty much any platform just fine.

That's not to say The Kilrathi Saga edition doesn't have it's merits but it's pretty much for serious collectors only at this point. People who just want to play the games need not resort to such exhorbitant prices.

is this the version you mean

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WING-COMMANDE...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

just got to find wc 1 if it is

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC-WING-COMMA...40:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ebayphotohosting

thanks guys you have been a great help now I am off to watch the cartoon series that I just downloaded wish they would make more wing commanders games movies tv shows anything

it was mostly a case of bad timing.. due to no fault of wing commander, or any of the cartoons that were airing on USA network, it was canceled just because USA Network decided it didn't want to do saturday morning in cartoons anymore.

it was mostly a case of bad timing.. due to no fault of wing commander, or any of the cartoons that were airing on USA network, it was canceled just because USA Network decided it didn't want to do saturday morning in cartoons anymore.

Yeah, and at the time, Wing Commander Academy was the highest rated animated show on the network as well. Or something like that.

Yeah, and at the time, Wing Commander Academy was the highest rated animated show on the network as well. Or something like that.

shame they dont get it going again hell even a live action show look at battlestar galactica for one example could work with the wing commander story

or am I just hoping for something that will never happen is wing commander dead no more games anything

there is always hope. I'm pretty certain that if a new Wing Commander game was a success, it would open up all world of possibilities for Television and Computing alike.

Back