Pericles Papercraft: Anybody ever made one?

Malcolm Reynolds

Rear Admiral
The question is in the title. If so, I'd like to see some images! As I'm completing my rendition of the Claw, I was thinking about my original inspiration and I was wondering if anybody on the forums have constructed any of Pericles models. Particularly this one:

http://papercommander.solsector.net/Yorktown/yorktown.htm

...as there are no pictures of it actually completed on his site.
I thought I'd start a little thread for people to post their pics of their builds, if anybody has actually built them...
Also, anybody heard from Pericles lately? Are we going to see any models soon? It's been a while hasn't it?
Maybe he'll see this and respond...

Been meaning to give it a go. Just haven't had the time.

Or experience, for that matter. Mal, you've obviously done papercraft modelling (referring of course to your very excellent Tiger's Claw model); what kind of materials do you use as a rule (like what weight of - I assume - card stock, what kind of glue, etc.)? Also speaking of Pericles, has anyone tried to use the Pepakura viewer on the Paper Commander site? I'm leery of it, mainly because the site from which you go to download it looks like a spam site, and yet I'd like to take a look at some of the non-PDF models he's got.

Been meaning to give it a go. Just haven't had the time.

Or experience, for that matter. Mal, you've obviously done papercraft modelling (referring of course to your very excellent Tiger's Claw model); what kind of materials do you use as a rule (like what weight of - I assume - card stock, what kind of glue, etc.)? Also speaking of Pericles, has anyone tried to use the Pepakura viewer on the Paper Commander site? I'm leery of it, mainly because the site from which you go to download it looks like a spam site, and yet I'd like to take a look at some of the non-PDF models he's got.

I have used pepekura viewer to unwrap and check out the models. It's not a spam site and I've never gotten any malware from it. It's a legitimate program with applications that I've never really used. For all of my aspirations, I'm pretty amateur and haven't truly used pepekura for a model. I prefer PDF format.

I use pretty standard cardstock myself. Most decent color printers will print on it without a problem. I think this is the stuff I usually use for construction.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=153427

That and cereal boxes. I love cereal boxes as a building material. Basically free, easy to cut, fold and glue. With the Claw I've started printing it on standard paper and using that as a skin for a cardboard framework. It's worked pretty well so far.

As for glue, I use Tacky glue but I'm pretty sure Elmer's glue would work just as well.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/aleenes-tacky-glue-238246/

I started out cutting with an exacto knife but I found that to be tedious. Honestly, a decent pair of scissors and some care can give you great results.

Seriously, you don't need experience. I just jumped right in with my model of the Viper and Serenity (which you can see on my Tiger's Claw thread) and they turned out pretty good. You can probably see the improvement from the Viper to Serenity. You learn from every model, and it's great fun.

The reason I ask about the Yorktown is because I'd really like to see how that model holds up when actually constructed. It looks very cool, but might require some internal support from something thicker. I just wonder if it's ever actually been test built.

I have used pepekura viewer to unwrap and check out the models. It's not a spam site and I've never gotten any malware from it. It's a legitimate program with applications that I've never really used. For all of my aspirations, I'm pretty amateur and haven't truly used pepekura for a model. I prefer PDF format.

Well, I might give it a try then.

As for glue, I use Tacky glue but I'm pretty sure Elmer's glue would work just as well.

Hmmm....I'm kinda leery of Elmer's. One of the things I learned when I was working on my counters was that Elmer's has a tendency to lose its stickiness if the ambient conditions of a room get too humid (since it's water-based). That's definitely a valid consideration where I live. I also learned to avoid rubber cement like the plague.

I do have other glues I can try out, Tacky glue among them.

Seriously, you don't need experience. I just jumped right in with my model of the Viper and Serenity (which you can see on my Tiger's Claw thread) and they turned out pretty good. You can probably see the improvement from the Viper to Serenity. You learn from every model, and it's great fun.

Well, I'll definitely have to try some out, then. I have noticed that a lot of Pericles models don't really have any instructions with them, though. Any general pointers? Like what to cut, what to fold, where to paste? Does how that's all denoted change from model to model?

Couldn't say about the Yorktown, obviously. Wish I could. I tried a general Google image search; didn't come up with any, so I don't think it likely. I mean, that's probably something I'd be proud to show off...

It does look like some folks have tried out the Tallahassee. Don't know if that'd be pertinent or not; I always thought the Talllahassee looked a bit flimsy.

I'd recommend using tacky glue. I've never used Elmers for a model so I can't speak to it's longevity. Serenity is over a year old and it hasn't lost any of it's original cohesiveness. Actually, it seems more solid than ever.

I'd start with something easy, like the Rapier II. If you reach a stumbling point you can always hit me up for advice on this thread right here. I would also suggest you print out two copies, one on card stock, one on regular paper. Some of the finer parts might be easier to fold and shape if they are just regular printer paper. Things like wings, fuselage et cetera would need to be heavier, guns and cockpit don't really need that integrity. Opening the models with Pepekura can give you a good idea of how they go together. Directions would be nice, but if you take some pics while you build, you can become the source of those directions! Pericles also offers two versions, with lines and without. The lines might give you a good idea of where to fold.

You probably will need WAY less glue then you think you do, and tacky dries clear so the model should look pretty sharp. I'd love to see some pics if you do build one!

I'll post some pics of the finished Tigers Claw within the next few days! Then maybe I'll attempt some too.

Keep me posted!

Back