Old Confederation Fighters

Oh these are awesome. I especially like the takes on the WC1 fighters - the Raptor reminds me of the Gunstar from "The Last Starfighter", which I always thought was an inspiration for it.

Great work Ninja, these are awesome! You can really feel the design lineage from one ship to another to another. Not an easy thing to pull off! I also really like the unique drawing style you're developing.

That Rapier I really is a Neutron gun on a sled, and the Rapier II looks a lot like the Super Fancom version, which I love :)

my big goal (aside from massive amounts of lineart practice) is proving that with little effort, just about all of the wing commander ships have similar styles.. even the kilrathi fighters.. which I'll get to down the line.... or.. hey.. maybe I'll alternate.. wc1 era kilrathi fighters up next!

That Rapier I really is a Neutron gun on a sled, and the Rapier II looks a lot like the Super Fancom version, which I love :)

From the look of he tail and the dual tail-mounted turbine engines, it really reminds me of the A-10 Thunderbolt aircraft, which is also essentially built around a fracking big Gatling gun with cockpit, wings, tail, and engines on it.

a liar I am not.. here are some wc1 kilrathi ships for a change :D

wc1erakweb.png

Nice, I just love that twin-canopy Krant! As I've always said, killing a Krant is like a furball 'nail one, get one free'.

Hmm....WC2 fighters do look really good...but the Rapier seems a bit off to me. I think its because the fins on the edges of the wing are oriented outwards instead of inwards.

Really great artwork!
I know my favourite ship is not WC1 and WC2 era... but if you find the time I would be more than happy to see an Arrow using this drawing style!

Rylex

Actually, the Arrow is older than the Rapier II, and I would also love to see NinjaLA's version of that fighter.

I think I did one earlier in the thread too.. but I'm doing another one for the wing commander III fighters
I may have to skip past wc2 kilrathi fighters as the only one I can seem to remember off the top of my head is the 'notadralthi'

I think I did one earlier in the thread too.. but I'm doing another one for the wing commander III fighters
I may have to skip past wc2 kilrathi fighters as the only one I can seem to remember off the top of my head is the 'notadralthi'

Sartha
Drakhri
Jalkehi
Grikath
Gothri
Bloodfang

You know its funny, I wrote that list and I knew that I was missing one, but for the life of me I couldn't remember which one. Ironic that its the Strakha. Obviously I've never heard ridiculous stories about Kilrathi cloaking devices.

Actually, the Arrow is older than the Rapier II, and I would also love to see NinjaLA's version of that fighter.

I'm a bit confused now. I've looked at the databases and I can see the F-27 Arrow V entered service in 2669. Found here:

https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/F-27_Arrow_V

The Rapier II however entered service in 2654.
G and H model Rapier IIs served on fleet carriers through the Battle of Earth in 2668.

Found here:

https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/F-44_Rapier_II

The Arena Arrow is obviously a bit older than the original Arrow V ... but the heck with it... boy is it ugly!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Arena Arrow is 3 different configurations.. and we see an arrow in Wing Commander Academy, the TV series.. so it is definitely around pre-2654

The Arena Arrow is 3 different configurations.. and we see an arrow in Wing Commander Academy, the TV series.. so it is definitely around pre-2654

The Arena Arrow is ugly - doesn't matter which configuration. The Arrow Scout is clostest do the original but still ugly.
I remember the Arrow from the first episode of Academy. I am however still wondering if this is correct - historic I mean. I think it might just be some type of "easter egg" inside Academy.

But never mind - even IF the Arrow is older than the Rapier II - this even makes it more valueable. An old fighter with such an excellent speed and maneuverability is just awesome!

Back