No sound in Wing Commander: Prophecy HD cutscenes

Noel Shourai

Petty Officer
I saw that there was a thread about this, but it's more than two years old so it might be better to start a new one.

I've been trying to get ODVS' Prophecy HD cutscenes to work, but I haven't been able to get them to output any sound. It's not that the audio is quiet either, it just isn't there. However, the video itself seems to be working perfectly, though the game still sporadically crashes from playing them. Both the video and audio work in Media Player Classic, just not in-game. I've also already tried switching between the various iterations of wcphr.dll with the same results; I even tried using the original DVD cutscenes (VOB format with AC3 audio, instead of MP4 with AAC) and they have the same issue. I'm playing the GOG version of Prophecy on Windows 11, running (to my knowledge) the OpenGL version with the latest Model Update pack, and I have the latest K-Lite Codec Pack installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

I haven't had the best luck with K-Lite (or any codec pack) myself - I don't use them - but then again I'm on Windows 10. You could try reinstalling the DirectX runtime just in case you're missing anything; it won't do any harm either way.

Do you have multiple audio playback devices? You could try disabling any you aren't using - e.g. HDMI outputs and such - in Device Manager (under "Sound, video and game controllers") to make sure it's only using the one you actually want. You could also check the advanced output quality settings in Windows - try setting the device you're using to 16-bit 48000Hz if it isn't already. It's been a while, but I've had issues with 24-bit output (or output frequencies higher than 48KHz) misbehaving with some apps/setups in the past.

That's about all I can think of!

I do have multiple audio devices, but I've already tried looking through them while a cutscene is playing and none of the devices were outputting any sound. I can try reinstalling DirectX, but I'm not sure if that will do anything.

The closest I could find was that apparently K-Lite doesn't install AC3Filter at all, so I tried installing it after reinstalling K-Lite. If anything, it resolved an unrelated issue with Wing Commander IV cutscenes having low volume issues, but Prophecy cutscenes kept crashing afterwards so I have no idea if it actually works.

Back