Joystick weirdness

psychbender

Spaceman
Earlier, I posted regarding some strangeness with version 0.9 and my joystick. I just tried version 1.0 pre5, and I've got some new weirdness. For reference, I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On two-axis joystick, the stick works fine. On two-axis with throttle, both axis work just fine, as does the throttle. On 3-axis, the ship was in an uncontrolled spin...until I realized that somehow, the throttle was controlling the third axis. By setting the throttle to the middle, the ship stopped spinning. Throttle control was done by keyboard. On 3-axis with throttle, both control what they are supposed to, but the z-axis is reversed (twisting the joystick left rolls the ship right). So, logical thing would be to try the Backward 3-axis with throttle. Yeah, that's the most screwed up one. The throttle controls the spin, and the rudder controls the throttle (which can no longer be controlled by keyboard). So, to move at full speed and not spin, the throttle is set to the middle, while the joystick is twisted all the way to the left. Anyone else having a problem like this?

I think this is due to how different joysticks assign different DirectX axes for different physical axes. I also beleive the assigments are different in DX7 than they are in DX8.1.

I may have read on this forum that Backward 3-axis with throttle swaps the throttle with the rudder axis; I'm not entirely sure. To me, backwards means an axis is reversed, not swapped.

Can you reverse and swap axes in your joystick software? I have a fully programmable joystick and for my Privateer Remake profile, I have reversed my rudder axis so it is not backwards in-game.

You can probably fix this by fudging with the joystick settings in vegastrike.config. For 3 axis with throttle, try changing all lines that read
<axis name="throttle" joystick="0" axis="2"/>
<axis name="z" joystick="0" axis="3"/>
to
<axis name="z" joystick="0" axis="2"/>
<axis name="throttle" joystick="0" axis="3"/>

If the throttle is reversed, try adding inverse="true" to the line so you get something like
<axis name="z" joystick="0" axis="2" inverse="true"/>

As best I can when there are two axes (0 and 1) throttle gets axis 2. With your stick, it still gets 2 I guess and that's the wrong one so give it 3 instead ;)

I thought we had a config option which would do this in setup.exe
is this only for vanilla Vega Strike?

I thought we had a config option which would do this in setup.exe
is this only for vanilla Vega Strike?

It only partly does the job. Some axes (throttle and z really) were around about etc. Not sure if it was ever corrected.

thanks for having the patience to make it work :)
if you feel like sending me your final config file drop it to me at privater *atsign gmail.com

*atsign = @

thank you!

Thanks so much! I've been looking for a config file for days now! I'm glad someone else had exactly the same problem that I did :D

I have tried 3 different joysticks and all of them had 2 axis swapped and 1 of those to was inverted. I changed it to this and it worked for all 3 joysticks:

<axis name="x" joystick="0" axis="3" inverse="false" />
<axis name="y" joystick="0" axis="1" inverse="false" />
<!-- #end -->

<!-- #joy_throttle joy_t_a_rev -->
<!-- #end -->
<!-- #joy_t_a_rev -->
<axis name="z" joystick="0" axis="0" inverse="true" />
<!-- #end -->
<!-- #joy_throttle_and_axis
<axis name="throttle" joystick="0" axis="0" inverse="true" />
#end -->
<!-- #joy_axis joy_throttle_and_axis
<axis name="z" joystick="0" axis="2"/>

now... i don't know the differance between the "joy_throttle joy_t_a_rev" and the "joy_throttle_and_axis" AND/OR the "joy_t_a_rev" and the "joy_axis joy_throttle_and_axis", but I canged the axis="X" for both of them and it worked.

Basically I just changed the axis="0" to an axis="3" and vice versa. Then added inverse="true" to the axis="0".

my joysticks are:

Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro
Wingman Extreme Cordless Gamepad
some old dos thingy... heh

Thanks again! and keep up the great work!

Has anyone had luck getting a hatswitch to work? The config file settings don't make much sense to me in the hatswitch section.

Also, is there a deadzone setting that can be added to the joystick config?

Thanks.

the hatswitch developer Alex Rawass left Vegastrike in a hurry one early afternoon...
I miss that guy--- he's apparently online from time to time

Conifg for saitek joysticks

The throttle and z aixs are in the wrong order, and the z axis is reversed on these controllers. Use these lines in your config if you have a saitek joystick:

<axis name="x" joystick="0" axis="0" inverse="false" />
<axis name="y" joystick="0" axis="1" inverse="false" />
<!-- #end -->

<!-- #joy_throttle joy_t_a_rev
#end -->
<!-- #joy_t_a_rev
<axis name="z" joystick="0" axis="3" inverse="true"/>
#end -->
<!-- #joy_throttle_and_axis
#end -->
<!-- #joy_axis joy_throttle_and_axis -->
<!-- #end -->

I had the same problem with Microsoft precision 2 and fixed it by inverting the z axis. I didnt see this thread (despite doing a search) so I started a fresh one.

http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=17972

in a nut shell....

I looked in vegastrike.config and found this line beneath the "desc #" lines and the mouse settings

<!-- #joy_t_a_rev -->
<axis name="z" joystick="0" axis="3"/>

and the fix is to modify it to this line

<!-- #joy_t_a_rev -->

Back