It's not Wing Commander

I think the current story REALLY fits the original SQUADRON concept, that later turned out to be Wing Commander.
With a Terran empire fighting Kilrathi in 26xx. Also why the hell would they slow down before 26xx events just 12 days prior to the reveal?
The resemblances to WC are just all a bit TOO much coincidence

Is there anything to say that CR is against reboots? He could be rewriting WC history... only time will tell.

I believe Chris Roberts said that if he went back to Wing Commander, he'd like to do a reboot.
I'll agree that with the date of today's article (2610) and the date of the Vega campaign from WC1 (2654) so close, with 11 days to go, it looks less likely. However if it is a reboot it doesn't have to be strict with its dates, or if they are setting up the Kilrathi compressing the remaining 11 Time Capsule articles into 40 odd years of sudden war, would be a great way of scene setting.

11 days...

I believe Chris Roberts said that if he went back to Wing Commander, he'd like to do a reboot.
I'll agree that with the date of today's article (2610) and the date of the Vega campaign from WC1 (2654) so close, with 11 days to go, it looks less likely. However if it is a reboot it doesn't have to be strict with its dates, or if they are setting up the Kilrathi compressing the remaining 11 Time Capsule articles into 40 odd years of sudden war, would be a great way of scene setting.

11 days...

The fact that the time between each update is getting shorter in years as we get closer to the 27th century gives me some hope that the last update in 11 days time might just be first contact with the Kilrathi. How awesome would a prequel be? Especially if it's open-ended Priv style, but set circa 2634...I'm probably dreaming, and we're just going to see a new IP, but hey we can but hope, we're used to hoping.

If it's a prequel, how amazingly fantastic would it be if the campaign's finale missions were custers carnival, on board the 'Claw?

I mean from reading the little history of that event, it would certainly be a challenging endgame!

I think the current story REALLY fits the original SQUADRON concept, that later turned out to be Wing Commander.
With a Terran empire fighting Kilrathi in 26xx. Also why the hell would they slow down before 26xx events just 12 days prior to the reveal?
The resemblances to WC are just all a bit TOO much coincidence

Hmm, I didn't think about that. A reboot with more resemblance to squadron does seem possible. It'd be like WC and a new IP all in one. Time will tell!

And now, of course, we're approaching the 2800s. Deffo not Wing Commander.

The comment about this hewing closer to the original Squadron proposal (which has now been highlighted on the RSI website) is worth noting, though, I think. I wonder if this is going to cleave a little closer to the original, ORIGINAL vision of the franchise? And is that something people want to see, especially in an MMO? (It's so very much an MMO.)

Why are you so sure it will be a MMO? Sure, it will have mulitplayer but I'm not so sure that the MP will be the defining feature of the new game.

(Though yes, it won't be a new WIng Commander, that's now pretty clear)

It could have MMO-elements, like hanging around the carrier with your avatar and such, but please nothing idiot like getting a phonecall at 0400 CET from a squadmate; "Dude get online, our carrier is under attack", I'll skip for that, in favor of work, sleep, and social life.

As I said in the other thread, it's almost certainly not an MMO. The fact that Chris Roberts is talking about making use of an online component is a clear indication of this. MMO games, by definition, do not use an online component - they are the online component. The very fact that there is such a component here, therefore, indicates that the single-player part of the game is crucial. I mean, can you imagine Chris Roberts back in 1990, talking about Wing Commander leveraging current technology to connect with players using a single player mode? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Too much of a risk to try and enter Space Combat into the MMO arena. Look at Jumpgate Evolution, cancelled after many delays. Black Prophecy, free to play and also shut down. Eve Online manages, somehow, but you can't say its been an easy ride for them. Star Trek Online probably lives off the fan base of the franchise alone? I'd go with an online component which would extend on what Freelancer did. Heck, if it only had single player, I don't care. Don't care if it's not in the WC universe either, I'll look forward to exploring a new universe, as CR create worlds. ;)

I had posted awork around for Windows 7 which should also work on Vista. The game has problems with multi core CPU's and needs to be set to use only one core. The post should be somewhere on the boards.

I had posted awork around for Windows 7 which should also work on Vista. The game has problems with multi core CPU's and needs to be set to use only one core. The post should be somewhere on the boards.
Um, is this post in the wrong thread? Which of the games is being referred to?

Back on topic...

So I just saw the hi-res of the carrier concept, and I do believe the shade of green used in the drawing was regulation Confed. More and more, I believe this is gonna be Wing Commander under a different label, like Star Giants :)

Back