Installing Secret Missions KS crashes the game

Tarin

Spaceman
Hello,

I've played WC1 KS on my pc and it's worked just fine. Today I installed the SM1 and SM2 expansions which I downloaded from the link given on wcnews.com. It installs ok but then when I try to run either the regular campaign or one of the SM campaigns, the game crashes after the intro animation (I just manage to see the "Vega Campaign"/"Secret Missions"/"Secret Missions 2" buttons and then I get an error message which says the program must close.

I was forced to reinstall the game to even be able to play the regular campaign again.

Anyone know why this is?

What hardware do you have? Did you adjust any settings to get Kilrathi Saga to run? Are you running in compatibility mode?

Right, sorry:

I've got a Pentium4 3.0 Ghz with 512mb RAM, Windows XP

I didn't change any settings or run it in compatibility mode.

Unregistered said:
I didn't change any settings or run it in compatibility mode.

You'll probably have to. Locate the game executables for the downloaded files and set each of them to Win9x compatibility. Then try to start the game again via the normal launcher.

Well whadya you know...

It hadn't occured to me, since the game itself runs just fine without it.
Why is that?

New problem:

I've now installed WC2 KS and the game is rather choppy for these reasons:

1. During flight when trying to turn in any direction I get about a second of really slow movement and only then normal movement. This happens every time I press a direction key. As you can imagine this makes the game rather unplayable. Also any speech by wingmen is extremely choppy. This may also hurt other aspects of flight that I haven't noticed yet.

2. Trying to skip through "story" sequences again makes things somewhat slow and choppy.

3. This doesn't really hurt the game experience but it may be a symptom of some kind: when I exit the game either from the "rec room" or by ALT+X I always get an error message saying the program must close.

Now I've tried running the game in Windows 9x compatibility mode and it doesn't change anything. I've also tried adjusting the framerate with ALT+M and ALT+N with no change.

Any ideas?

adjust the typematic rate setting of your keyboard, do you have any accessibility options enabled you use on the computer?

Um...I disn't understand any of that. What's typematic setting and what accessibility?

Unregistered said:
Well whadya you know...

It hadn't occured to me, since the game itself runs just fine without it.
Why is that?

Because the expansion changes how the game executes.

You also need to check the box that tells the forum to remember your login info.

Unregistered said:
Um...I disn't understand any of that. What's typematic setting and what accessibility?

Look at the Accessibility tab in your Control Panel.

Tarin said:
New problem:

I've now installed WC2 KS and the game is rather choppy for these reasons:

1. During flight when trying to turn in any direction I get about a second of really slow movement and only then normal movement. This happens every time I press a direction key.

ive found that holding down the shift key while using the direction key works, you just have to get used to it

I've been having similar problems for a year now. When I run with compatability, the joystick fails to work (and I NEED a joystick to beat those Sm1 missions), and if I do not run compatability, the game crashes.

Hi

I'm having similar problem as the thread starter. WC1 worked just great, but after installion WC1 Secret Missions 1 or 2 (or both), the game starts but after intro the "start campaign banner" just flashes and game exit's to windows with the KS launch box still open.

My specs are: P4 2.4, 512 mem, GeForce 4 Ti4200, Windows xp

The compatibility mode for me is automaticly in win95 mod in .exe-files.

Any ideas how to get it work?

I have tried to change priority (of SM1.exe) to all different types but no luck, it does the same all the time as said above. Is there some other .exe-files which priority settings could help?

Unregistered said:
The compatibility mode for me is automaticly in win95 mod in .exe-files.

Any ideas how to get it work?

If I remember correctly, isnt there a sparate EXE for SM1+2? I know there is for the Special Ops addons for WC2. Make sure the appropriate compatability is set for all the EXEs not just the main WC1 one. You may want to reinstall the game too to make sure nothing is actually broken. After that, there may be some hardware conflicting. For example, I cannot play wc4-DVD with a WCP CD in the the CD-ROM even though the DVD *is* in the DVD drive.

I got it work now, or at least it goes to the game. Haven't tried to fly or something yet. :)

I had to change the .exe-files to be Windows98/ME compatability.

Thanks for all your help!

Try this if you want to investigate further. Might help with the laggy keyboard response too?

Back