Imax fighter pilots

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
Has anyone heard of the new imax movie called "fighter pilots"? I Hear that it's really good and I really want to see it in an Imax theater!

Aparently twice a year 6 countries get together in the nevada desert with about 120 planes (f15 f18 etc) and have war games. They get up there and really dogfight and more.. So the millitary lets Imax in and they put cameras in the cockpits, on the ground in chase planes etc. Apparently they even use live ammo to destroy some mock convoys... of course with cameras right in the middle of everything....

Can't wait.... except the nearest Imax is atleast a 1400k drive... a 1 1/2 hour plane ride plus 3 hours to and from airport (including security) makes for an expensive movie ticket.

Funny note, I keep seeing running times listed at anywhere from 40 min to 51min.

Here's one description I found:

Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag is a film about a two-week, realistic combat training exercise involving the aerial forces of the United States and its allies, and the training they receive that saves pilots' lives in the combat aviation arena.

Established in 1975, Red Flag is conducted on the vast bombing and gunnery ranges at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, as one of a series of advanced training programs administered by the Air Warfare Center and Nellis AFB through the 414th Combat Training Squadron.

And here's pat of a review:

Five minutes into "Fighter Pilot" -- which costs $8 for adults, $6.50 for kids and seniors -- your stomach will be doing the rumba when an F-15 Eagle zooms straight up into the sky (the land beneath going, going, gone) and then . . . starts . . . spinning.

Full disclosure: I actually said, "Wheee!"

Written and directed by Imax vet Stephen Low, the 40-minute film follows Capt. John Stratton -- the grandson of a World War II flying ace -- as he heads to Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada to take part in Operation Red Flag, a combat-readiness program for the United States and allies such as Germany, England, Italy and Canada. Red Flag is the final training preparation for pilots and ground crews before they are sent into actual combat.

The squadrons are briefed on the day's mission, there are mock unnamed "bad guys" lurking in the skies and soon enough --

Dogfight!

-- and Stratton's F-15 Eagle is zooming around with attack planes, fighter planes, bomber planes, F-16s, A-1os, B-52s, oh my! Although no one's getting killed at Red Flag -- this is only a test, and the planes fire flares instead of rockets -- it's all taken very seriously, as well it should be. "My grandfather said that going to war is worse than I could possibly imagine," says Stratton. "And now I agree with him."

Okay, good point, but let's be honest: There's a reason "Fighter Pilot" is an Imax movie and not some sobering PBS documentary, and that's because pitching and rolling in a jet and the "chaos" of simulated battle between monstrous instruments of war looks spectacular on a screen that's six stories high and, according to a museum spokesman, "the width of a wingspan of the Concorde -- 82 feet, 10 inches."

The movie's most chilling moment happens not in the air but on the ground: a tank's-eye view of an oncoming onslaught of planes, each one dropping very real bombs. The planes fly closer, the explosions get closer -- and those Imax speakers get LOUDER -- until finally the tank and the camera (and you) are engulfed in roaring flames. (On second thought, the movie is a great recruiter for the Air Force but maybe not so much for the Army.)

For queasy folks, a scene of soldiers parachuting out of the rear of a cargo plane -- oh, and a sequence of Stratton zipping through mountains -- is high on the puke meter, and a subtly unnerving scene involving a midair refueling is gonna be a killer for anyone afraid of heights.

>end of quote

It is a great movie if you're interested in that sort of thing (I am). I bought advance tickets for it (well, I bought vouchers and made a special trip to the theatre for it).

Red Flag is held basically to simulate a full-blown war, on the observation that pilots who survive their first 10 (hours or missions, depends who you ask) will likely survive further missions. Thus Red Flag helps preserve the investment in those individuals by giving those recent trainees the necessary experience.

It was filmed prior to the Iraq war, judging by the usual lead time (approx 2 years plus a bit) as well as the countries engaged in the exercise shown.

I'd probably go watch it again, since it fits nicely into a lunch hour (it's 45 minutes long - probably 51 if you include the ads/introductions/etc), and it's right down the street from where I work.

I hope it makes it to DVD - I'd pick up a copy.

The only downside is that IMAX is showing its age - big screen yes, but it was kind of flickery. Excellent film.

As for finding an Imax theatre, there's always a chance to travel - and the destination might have a Imax theatre, so...

They're playing it at all imax theatres. Just visit http://www.imax.com to find your nearest theatre and showtimes. Alas, local showtimes are either noon or 6pm. I probably will see if I can see it again during one of my lunch hours.

As for those living too far away from an IMAX theatre - it's time to go on a trip!

Oh, few more details - it's not all flying - there's a lot of the human element as well.

For those who haven't visited the movie's web site, it's at http://www.fighterpilotfilm.com/

Hrm. I had a link that listed all the theatres that would show it and when they would be showing it, but I lost it :(.

Though, it was supposed to open a couple of days before Christmas here, and opened on Boxing day... perhaps it's a rotation thing. It'll probably eventually make it's way over to all the other theatres (I can't imagine it's cheap to duplicate and transport that much film...)

Starwolf84 said:
Hmmm i would think that they would play it in houston but i guess not.

I was just in Houston last weekend and went to the IMAX...no such fighter pilot movie going on...just the Adrenaline Rush and the Coral Reef video. I'd love to see this though...perhaps the one in Minneapolis is showing it...

You guys know that imax.com does tell you what theatres *are* showing it, right? And even order tickets for a showing? (though, you probably wouldn't want to - they charge an extra $1 for it).

Bandit LOAF said:
I know they're showing it at the Air and Space Museum II at Dulles...
Hey that's where I saw it!

I was a little dissapointed at the fact that there were a lot of digital effects that they added in. Still, a great recruitment film.

Back