How much do all WC intellectual property rights cost?

PenderMillsap

Spaceman
My company is thinking about (but not yet fully decided) if it wants to purchase all Wing Commander intellectual property rights. If it does, then how much are they? If it does purchase the rights then it would like to get started on a new infiniWing Commander real time infinite multiplayer strategy game - it would be based on the Confederation/Kilrathi War, Confederation/Border Worlds War, and any other wars the Confederation was involved in. Thanks for any reply.

It should cost around a few million dollars. Well, I may be guessing wrong, but it should be really expensive. REALLY expensive indeed.

Depending on what you wanted to do would vary the price...if you just wanted to release a Wing Commander game borrowing the rights for a little bit you could probably work out a deal with EA that wouldn't be too expensive (relatively speaking...we're still talking a huge chunk of money) but to actually outright buy the IP of Wing Commander it would be a tremendous amount of money. BTW, what company are you referring to in your post?

IS the WC licence really expensive?
Maybe it lost some worth (not the real/ideal/nostalgic one)?
I think, EA would have produced a WC sequel long ago, if this would be profitably.
Or why do EA hold their license back - It is in respect to Chris Roberts?

Malar said:
IS the WC licence really expensive?
Maybe it lost some worth (not the real/ideal/nostalgic one)?
I think, EA would have produced a WC sequel long ago, if this would be profitably.
Or why do EA hold their license back - It is in respect to Chris Roberts?

To judge by the fact that they've got a grip on their properties the way drowning people grab life-preservers.... I'd say that the license is fairly valuable to them still. However, as it's already been noted, the bottom fell out of the space-sim market some time ago, and they've never felt it profitable enough to continue. The failure of Earth And Beyond isn't going to help this impression, though the fact that the game kinda blew is going to go over their heads. :D

I honestly dont think EA would *ever* SELL the rights to WC.. and if they ever did, it would only be to CR, as it was his baby origin-ally..

It costs them $0.00 to keep ownership of the IP.

They may well sell you limited rights to produce a WC game under their (probably quite strict) supervision... For a big-fat hunk-o-cash.. OR (if they think your game has ALOT of potential) a big-fat slice of the profits..

Anyway, that's just my opinion.. Giant Corporations sometimes do odd things..

-J

EA doesn't have any interest in selling Wing Commander outright.

There's a lesson to be taken from Raylight. They managed to do WCP:GBA by publishing it through a company which had licensed EA's GBA publishing rights (Daylight). Because Prophecy was an EA game, Destination was allowed to publish the port...

My guess is that EA is sitting on the property until another publisher puts out a space combat sim that's a hit. Then, they'll push something out and all of us WC geeks will run out to get it just on the strength of the brand although it probably won't be a good game. ::sigh::

Mad Cow said:
My guess is that EA is sitting on the property until another publisher puts out a space combat sim that's a hit. Then, they'll push something out and all of us WC geeks will run out to get it just on the strength of the brand although it probably won't be a good game. ::sigh::

There's absolutely no precident for EA doing that with Wing Commander. Ruining the most famous brand in Space Sims by putting out crappy games at some point where it's actually a popular genre would be idiotic. You put out good games so you can keep making them.

TC said:
There's absolutely no precident for EA doing that with Wing Commander. Ruining the most famous brand in Space Sims by putting out crappy games at some point where it's actually a popular genre would be idiotic. You put out good games so you can keep making them.

They're more likely to just sit on the property until they find a way to make it profitable for the most part, though some of the Sims spinoffs didn't do as well as they were projected to. This, unfortunately, includes The Sims Online.

Not to be rude, but if you have to ask a fan forum what the price of the rights are to Wing Commander instead of going to EA itself and negotiating with them about it... then do you really have the means to purchase the rights in the first place?

I doubt they'd sell it to anyone but Chris Roberts as stated, and I don't think he wants much to do with it anymore.

They can charge whatever they think they will be able to get. They can also refuse to sell them to you at any price if they don't want you to have creative control of the franchise.

Back