Hobbes..............

TCSTigersClaw

Greek Special Forces B' Company "Naoussa" 2007-200
HI again guys.:) I have read all the replyes but i ve got troubles and i couldnt reply:( . Well Im not convinced with the wc2 to wc3 tech advance.I now have a little silly question. HOW DOES Hobbes fit in a Confed fighter???Isnt he too BIG?:confused: ?!

that's simple, there is a simple refit to a fighter that makes its cockpit larger verl slightly, although there really is enough space. all they need is the chair specially designed for Kilrathi

The fighters are incredibly huge... go measure 50 meters on the sidewalk and see how big a Lance is <G>

What fighters did we see Hobbes fly? At least in WC2. I don't recall him being in a ferret or epee, but I'm not sure about the rest. He had to be able to fly anything in WC3, since whatever fighter you picked he flew the same.

well, i am aware of all that things you all mentioned but , i think is weird that Confed made adjustments to their Fighters just for one pilot.Hobbes doesnt have his own fighter, he flies whatever craft a mission needs (sorry my english are not good)

So there must in victory at least 2 or three types of crafts specially disigned for Hobbes?

But in the begining of the game Hobbes was out of the Flight Roster!!There souldnt be custom spacecrafts for him !

Hobbes had recently requested transfer off of the flight roster. I'm sure they still had the seats around, if in fact that was what was needed for him to fit.

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix
Heck, just picture it in terms of a football field. The Dragon/Lance is fully HALF a football field.

That's big. :)

When you put it that way, they sound a whole hexk of a lot bigger than they typically look.

Just imagine, a Dragon landing on the field in the middle of a Dallas Cowboys game. That would be an interesting game to watch!

Originally posted by Shane
What fighters did we see Hobbes fly? At least in WC2. I don't recall him being in a ferret or epee, but I'm not sure about the rest. He had to be able to fly anything in WC3, since whatever fighter you picked he flew the same.

Ah, one of my favorite topics, cockpit sizes, is brought up again :)

I'm pretty sure that the smallest craft we ever see Hobbes fly is the G variant of the Rapier II. That ship is 19 meters long, and I believe it's cockpit is roughly a 1,5m x 1,5m x 2m box. Not exactly a lot of room, not even for a human being, but the pilot might be positioned so that his legs are stretched forward along the floot of the cockpit. In this position, Hobbes would fit in the cockpit just fine.

There are still a couple of problems, though...
1- If you take the "ejected pilot" sprite from WC2 into consideration, the shape of the seat seems to indicate that the pilot does not sit with his legs stretched forward. This issue can easily be disconsidered, however, since for all we know, the ejecting seat may only fold to that shape after ejection, for whatever reason. Besides, most WC2 ships wouldn't fit an average human inside their cockpits unless they were indeed sitting with their legs stretched along the floor, not to mention that the "ejected pilot" sprite is too small to be taken seriously, anyway :D
2- In one of the SO1 missions, Hobbes is Blair's turret Gunner on a Crossbow bomber, IIRC. The Crossbow's turret is pretty cramped, even for a human. However, maybe Paladin and Blair simply squeezed Hobbes in there and told him to quit whining because he'd only have to stay there for a few hours :)

--Eder

Well, Take a look at cartoony WC2 Hobbes. He's the same size as everyone else, wears the exact same size uniform, jumpsuit, etc... except he's got a tiger face. He's a guy in a furball suit I tell you!!:D

Actually, I believe his uniform in WC2 had a slightly larger collar than everyone else's :D

--Eder

Originally posted by Zor Prime

Just imagine, a Dragon landing on the field in the middle of a Dallas Cowboys game. That would be an interesting game to watch!

let me guess,
"the quaterback runs.... **WHAM** ohhhh (the crowd roars in disbelief"

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix
Heck, just picture it in terms of a football field. The Dragon/Lance is fully HALF a football field.

That's big. :)
Damn! It didn't look that big on the movie sequence where Pliers finds the Flashpaks though...

Ah well... :)

That's because you were looking at a distance. It was like looking at the field from the top bleechers.

Yeah, the ship-size conundrum always gave me headaches. Besides the fact that WC2 uses much smaller (size of modern atmospheric planes) ships than all of the other games (well, except for Prophecy...), most of the fighters are truly HUGE; most of the fightercraft are bigger than the U.S. Space Shuttle, which is a truly huge bird itself! I mean, imagine a World War 2 B-17 bomber turning on a dime, and you get the idea of what the Arrow does...

LOAF: I just checked the CIC Dragon specs, and it says 40 metres long, not 50...still, that's one big fighter!! :eek:

I came across this problem myself when I was designing my CG model of the Excalibur. The dimensions of the fighters are not even accurate either. In WC3 when Blair or Flash gets out of the Excal prototype, you can see the fighter is roughly the size of an Su-37 or so. Of course from the specifications the ship is HUGE, definetly not the size of a modern contemporary fighter jet. However, when I designed the CG cockpit of my Excal, it was not the same size as the WC3 FMV Excal cockpit, rather much smaller, but that is because I had to shrink it in order to match the cockpit design featured in-game.

As a result, my pilot was incredibly tiny compared to the rest of the Excalibur.

Exhibit A:
excal_wip32.jpg

Back