here's an idea

Ok, Kris, if they weren't fans, why in the hell would they write about Wing Commander, when as smart as they are (were), they could write about a lot better stuff (like some of their own ideas). If it wasn't fiction, then why is it always in that part of the bookstore? So, technically Twister's right. The WC novels may be cannon, but you'd say the same if Quarto or Dralthi5 got his fanfic published. Just as Twister said, the novels are glorified (and extensified) fanfics.

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys GUYS GUYSSS!!! STOP this mADNESS fighting ..... just think we are on the same side and let's co-operate!
mad.gif
I'am a secret peacekeeper hehe I hope odds are not against me

G-sus! calm down man! god, this isn't madnes, we've just discusing fiction here, where not fighting here man!

Knight said:
Ok, Kris, if they weren't fans, why in the hell would they write about Wing Commander, when as smart as they are (were), they could write about a lot better stuff (like some of their own ideas).
Because their publisher wants to publish WC novels and make money?
If it wasn't fiction, then why is it always in that part of the bookstore?
I never said they weren't fiction... We're talking about the term "Fan Fiction" here, not the meaning of the individual words. That wouldn't make sense.
So, technically Twister's right. The WC novels may be cannon, but you'd say the same if Quarto or Dralthi5 got his fanfic published. Just as Twister said, the novels are glorified (and extensified) fanfics.
If they were published, they'd cease to be fan fiction and become official novels.

I'd have to agree with Kris here. There can't be "professional fan fic." By its very definition, fan fiction is not professional. Fan fiction, however, can be published. Look at Star Trek's Strange New Worlds series. Still, this does not make it professional. Merely a contest.
wink.gif

There's nothing that says, also, that the writers were fans of WC when they wrote their novels. Hell, the may have not known anything about the series before they got to writing about it (this is just blind assumption, by the way
smile.gif
).

But that's just my opinion.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Now, now...

First, I don't want to offend -- I'm sure there's lots of quality fan fiction in the world -- but just the term 'fanfic' itself is associated with a very derogitory sense. For every excellent WC story by Avatarr you have 63,948 bad stories about how the ultral33t author of the story killed a million Kilrathi and single handedly saved the world. Sad, but *true*.

There is a significant difference between fan fiction and professional work.

Professional work is *not* done because the author is a fan. If the author is a fan, it's a coincidence. In the case of novels based on things (Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Wing Commander, etc) the publisher first decides how many books they want to release at a given time and then requests that specific authors write specific books. This is why you cannot submit a manuscript for a Wing Commander novel to Baen and expect it to be published. They have to call you and request a story. Even in the case of the Star Trek short stories you mentioned abouve, Pocket Books specifically held a concept for fan-written stuff -- they didn't go around reading things on the internet and going "Ooh, lets take this!".

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

LOAF's Merry Guild

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Incidentally, do people here even go to the FanFic section? I mean, apart from the five or six people that I've actually seen posting there
wink.gif

KrisV said:
If they were published, they'd cease to be fan fiction and become official novels.[/B]

the diffrence between FanFiction is a formalitie, we both know who's better on a tipewriter...
wink.gif

------------------
When I'm in the air...
I'm indestructible.
No one can stop me...
But they try.
Real WC fans support the WCESCRP

Back