Greetings, Old Friends

Jumpstart

Rear Admiral
Greetings,

If you were active in the community from oh, let's say the mid 90s to 2000 or so, you may remember me (I was heavily involved with the old Killer Bees group, if you recall).

Anyways, I just thought I would say hi to any old time friends who may still be around. Things have been going great over the last several years though certainly busy with a new baby and all. :)

I try to keep up with WC news as much as I can and I'm glad to see that this past year had some new life pumped into this awesome game genre that so many refuse to give up on.

Anyways, I salute you all and hope you are doing well.

- Jumpstart

Killer Bees? Sorry, I didn't start patrolling this site until a few years ago, and didn't join until last year...

Welcome back! It's good to see you're still out there -- and still a Wing Commander fan. Hopefully, we'll have a lot of the old crew coming back in the next few months...

Those that don't remember the Killer Bees of old may at least remember their grand works -- Jumpstart was the first person to host our Wing Commander Academy episode downloads.

Heya Loaf, good to see you guys are hanging strong. The past 8 years or so have consisted of college/masters/marriage/children/work/etc. so busy indeed to say the least!

Hopefully as things settle down I can get more active in the community again.

Just curious if you or anyone else knows, who is still around from the old 1990s gang?

It's hard to say -- everybody remembers different groups of people. :)

ace, Chris Reid, Hades, Trelane, Frosty, Dundradal, Death and KrisV have all been around since those days, and they're the #WingNut and CIC Staff regulars today.

QUarto, Pedro and HCl were all around then, I think... and I talk to a few guys who aren't active anymore (Skyfox, Psych, others occasionally.) Other people pop in every once in a while -- LadyWhisper was around a year or so ago.

I keep in touch with nearly all of the Origin guys we knew years ago, too, if you were looking for any of them.

Killer Bees? Sorry, I didn't start patrolling this site until a few years ago, and didn't join until last year...

I forget the exact year, but sometime in the mid to late 90s a large number of us formed a "squad" in hopes of playing WC/Privateer Online together. Since neither of those games were ever made, we eventually disbanded, but we had a great group while it lasted. :)

Myself and another fellow (Wolfdog, I believe) developed and maintained the website for our squad (it's not up anymore) and assisted in recruiting. LOAF and the other great guys here were even kind enough to host our forums for us before we had our own site up (This was pre-CIC, IIRC).

I was involved in some other WC projects over the years as well and as LOAF mentioned, played a minor role here and there helping out the guys at the CIC (and the CIC's predecessor) but mainly just enjoyed being a part of an awesome community.

It's hard to say -- everybody remembers different groups of people. :)

ace, Chris Reid, Hades, Trelane, Frosty, Dundradal, Death and KrisV have all been around since those days, and they're the #WingNut and CIC Staff regulars today.

QUarto, Pedro and HCl were all around then, I think... and I talk to a few guys who aren't active anymore (Skyfox, Psych, others occasionally.) Other people pop in every once in a while -- LadyWhisper was around a year or so ago.

I keep in touch with nearly all of the Origin guys we knew years ago, too, if you were looking for any of them.

I remember all of those names, great to see they are still around. One name that comes to mind is Methostopholeses (sp?). Didn't I get him in contact with you guys regarding hosting? If you recall, he was the very talented gentleman who did all the 3d renderings of the various WC fighters/ships. I may be wrong, but I thought you guys hosted his stuff for a while. He was a very nice and talented guy, I know he assisted me with making some top-notch graphics for the Killer Bees website.

I forget the exact year, but sometime in the mid to late 90s a large number of us formed a "squad" in hopes of playing WC/Privateer Online together. Since neither of those games were ever made, we eventually disbanded, but we had a great group while it lasted.

I believe it was 1997 or 1998, since the original point behind 'squadrons' was that Wing Commander Prophecy would include a multiplayer model. I think Boomer even came and asked the WCHS team to try to get something going in that direction before the option was cut... (it might have been just after, too, since David Downing was promising a Wing Commander multiplayer game within a year at that point.)

I remember all of those names, great to see they are still around. One name that comes to mind is Methostopholeses (sp?). Didn't I get him in contact with you guys regarding hosting? If you recall, he was the very talented gentleman who did all the 3d renderings of the various WC fighters/ships. I may be wrong, but I thought you guys hosted his stuff for a while. He was a very nice and talented guy, I know he assisted me with making some top-notch graphics for the Killer Bees website.

I remember his work very well, but I haven't heard from him since those days. It's a shame, he was an excellent artist. Years later I got to look at the actual Wing Commander 2 3D models... and they were nearly identical.

We've got a good group left, though -- a lot of us stay in touch in real life, too... going to conventions, hanging out, playing tourist, etc. Here's Frosty, Chris and I at ace's wedding a few years ago: https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/5560

Last edited by a moderator:
Back