First to Terra

Again, neither Tolwyn or Thrakath were thinking too deeply about what had just happened; one was thankful that the nukes didn't go off, while the other was shocked both by his defeat as well as the fact that he'd lost another opportunity to push the war to a successful conclusion, as his father had back during the early days of the war.

Yes, but all of this is outside my point - that Tolwyn is shown to recognize that *something* prevented the weapons from firing... and that Thrakhath is not (which is no surprise, since Fleet Action features an unusually incompetant portrayal of Thrakhath.)

Yes, but all of this is outside my point - that Tolwyn is shown to recognize that *something* prevented the weapons from firing... and that Thrakhath is not (which is no surprise, since Fleet Action features an unusually incompetant portrayal of Thrakhath.)

If he recognized it, he didn't show much sign of it in the book. He was relieved that the nukes hadn't been launched, but he didn't seem to be thinking too much about the matter, or why it hadn't been launched. Or at least, that's how I'm reading that paragraph that the quote came from, as well as the rest of the page there.

I'm not sure how many times I can point out the same thing before I murder you. Tolwyn is not trying to figure out what happened, he simply recognizes that something did happen beyond the Tarawa's fighters arriving in time. As you quoted: "'the only bright spot was that for some reason the Cats had not launched a wave of strontium-clad thermonukes."

The *some reason* is the telling point - if he believed Bear and friends were responsible then the thought would make no sense. He knows that the Kilrathi didn't fire for some reason. He's not analyzing it, he isn't worrying about it... but he recognizes that it wasn't solely the Landreich pilots who saved the day. (Thrakhath, on the other hand, doesn't show any recognition of this fact.)

If it helps, I recognize and agree with LOAF's observation. I always took it as Tolwyn being privy to something strange, but not knowing what. He knew the Confed forces weren't responsible.

Back