Films

Dark Tower

Rear Admiral
Ok I'm planing to creat a new campaign for wing commander and I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to place movies into the prophecy engine. Any help would be great.

You can make cutscenes using the game engine, like the ones in SO...
About cloacked ( if is that what you mean)ships and missiles, SO doesnt have cloack, so i dont think you can use it...

Wouldn't it be possible to make a ship with translucent textures though, and do something so that enemy fighters can't see your? Maybe it wouldn't be as good as cloaking, or being in a stealth fighter but it would have a similar effect.

Yes, you can do it, but the radar would still show your position anyway...your targeting system too, so if its not for a cutscene, it doesnt have much use...
Maybe in great numbers, that ships would be interesting :)
But for missiles perhaps...maybe torpedoes, since you cant get a lock on it and can still destroy it, being "invisible" it would be harder to do it ;), but the capships turrets would still target it correctly.

[Edited by KillerWave on 11-17-2000 at 00:57]

I've been thinking about the very same thing ever since I ran into... some problems... with WC4 ships, Earthworm. A transparent texture would indeed give ships a partial sort of cloak - but what use is it, if the AI doesn't realise that it should behave differently towards cloaked ships?

Though you know, KWave, there is definitely some cutscene potential in this :). Hmm... I recall that Thomas Bruckner wrote some info about animated textures a few months back. D'you think that could be used for cloaking (assuming, of course, that it would be the enemy that cloaks, not you)?

A big response.

To clean up a few things first I mean cut scences inside the game but not made by the engine in other words has anyone cracked the code used for the films???

Second there should be a cloak ingame as for example in the first mission of prophercy thouse fighters appear from thin air so there must be some sort of clocking.

The plan is to bring back the skippers and stelth craft so as to make a sequal for secret ops. Also as I type this I just remembered wasn't the SAR suposed to be clocked?????

Nobody has cracked the movie format, unfortunately.

Ships can appear anywhere you want them to. That is to say, I could make a mission where a ship appears exactly fifteen metres in front of you (though of course, you'd crash into it), out of nowhere.

The SAR incorporates stealth technology, but this is not used during the game.

In other words, there is unfortunately no in-game cloak in WCP or SO.

Yes Q, i think its possible, using animated textures to make a ship dissappear may be possible. Problem is that the animated textures would run in a cicle, so it would keep comming in and out of cloack(i guess)...
But then you could just change to a ship with transparent textures, so it would stay invisible.:)
I never tryed to make animated textures or cutscenes yet though, but snuzzle had done some animated textures sometime ago...but no, i still didnt get an answer form him yet:(

[Edited by KillerWave on 11-17-2000 at 22:58]

Actually, that's not quite what I was thinking of. I know that animated textures run in cycles, so I figured that the cloaked ships would be permanently, but only partially cloaked (this would explain why we can target them, I guess :)).
Remember what the invisible demons looked like in Doom? Well, that's what I'm thinking of here. A texture that looks like the fur of a leopard, or perhaps a tiger - except that the yellow part is actually seethrough, and the black splotches/stripes keep moving.

BTW, any idea about the problems I reported to you a few days ago? It doesn't matter too much, since I'm gonna use the lab either way, but I'm curious as to why I can fly through parts of it :).

Yes, it would be much better! Why didnt i think of it...:)?
As soon as i get the time to understand the animated textures proccess, i will try it, but i'm pretty sure it can be done.
About the lab...the dissapearing walls is most likely a problem with the model.:(
But about the collision detection, i havent really checked it before...the first model i sent you had those problems? If not i will try redoing it.

Hmm... for skipper missles, an animated texture of it appearing and dissapearing would be great. Cycling would be 'in-character' for the missile. Protecting ships against skippers is always such fun.

TC

Skipper missiles... hmm, but if the missile was still targetable, then it wouldn't matter much... so, I guess we'd have to use torpedoes as skippers. Hmm. That does have some unusual possibilities...

I don't recall the first model having any collision problems. In that aspect, it was the best one of 'em - that's why I decided on it, in fact. Mind you, it's better to be able to fly through parts, than to crash into nothing :).

Well, you'd like a skipper to be able to hurt a cap-ship, so using a torpedo would be the sensible thing.

TC

Yes, but SO missiles doesnt appear on the radar, so even if you make them "cloack" you would have no idea if they where launched...and if you are using a capship missiles, it wouldnt dissapear from your radar, so cloacking would be useless...:(

It wouldn't dissapear from your radar, but even if you do have something on your radar, its hard to shoot it if you can't actually see it.

Wait... wait. But what if you can't lock on it? That is to say, why not give it a neutral alignment? That means that you won't be able to target it as long as there are hostiles around (or until you shut off smart targeting, but who's gonna think of that in the heat of battle?). This would effectively render ITTS useless, as far as our little skipper is concerned.

BTW, unlike other missiles, torps do appear on radar. So do mines, but that's another story.

Anyway, this is starting to look like a real possibility, methinks :).

Hows this for an excuse for detecting clocked ships.

Dur to the fact the clock has been around for a long time someone in confed must have figured out how to detect it hence fighter are now accuiped to detect.

The bugs also have this capability but is this accept or an unknow? Plus if a capship and kill cap missiles why in one of the defend mission do have to elimanate a cap missiles?

On an extra note the appearing ship sould be help full. Does anyone have a problem with clocked cap ships???

Thanks for the help and keep it coming. As soon as may upgraded computer comes I'll start knocking up a demo.

Originally posted by Dark Tower
Hows this for an excuse for detecting clocked ships.

Dur to the fact the clock has been around for a long time someone in confed must have figured out how to detect it hence fighter are now accuiped to detect.

There is already anti-cloack technology...
Thats one of the motives it isnt in SO and Prophecy, well...that and the fact it was peace time.;)

Cloacked capships would be unusual, since it would need a lot more power to keep a capship cloacked (WC ships could only keep cloacked for some time), and it would be very expensive to build...

Yes Q, its a good idea, but i dont remmember being able to lock on torpedoes, neither seem them on the radar, but neutral capmissiles sound interesting, but you wouldnt be able to lock on it even if it isnt cloacked...hmm, there is some way to change its alignment constantly? I mean make it neutral when its cloacked and enemy when it isnt?

Back