Rear Armor 20 cm
Right/Left Armor 20 cm
Jump Capable Yes ... barely

Excalibur:

Max Velocity 500 kps
Max Afterburner Velocity 1300 kps
Max Afterburner Acceleration 1100 k/s^2
Max Y/P/R 70/75/70 deg/s
Guns Tachyon Cannons (4), Reaper Cannons (2)
Missile Hardpoints 4x3 (3IR/3IR/3IR/3IR)
Missile Decoys 30
Front Shield 250 cm
Rear Shield 250 cm
Front Armor 110 cm
Rear Armor 110 cm
Right/Left Armor 110 cm
Jump Capable Yes

Vindicator:

Max Velocity 400 k/s
Max Afterburner Velocity 950 k/s
Max Afterburner Acceleration 700 k/s^2
Max Y/P/R 50/50/50 deg/s
Guns Tachyon Cannons (2), Lasers (2)
Special Weapons Leech Lasers (2), Stormfire (2)
Gun Energy 300 nJ
Default Gun Regeneration 20 nJ/s
Turret Laser (1), Tractor Beam (1)
Torpedo Hardpoints 3x1
Missile Hardpoints 2x3 Medium (3FF/3FF)
Missile Decoys 24
Front Shield 250 cm
Rear Shield 250 cm
Front Armor 150 cm
Rear Armor 150 cm
Right/Left Armor 150 cm
Core Strength 100/79
Jump Capable No

Ok there are the Stats, now ASSUMING that they are all flown by Pilots of equal skill, who wins?

if there is an element of surprise, the morningstar, fire the mace and fire your guns to detonate it. head to head this would be unwise, since they just have to fire at you, accendentily hit the mace missile, and it would blow up in your face.
on thesame ground an excalibur could cloack and sneak up on it's opponent.

in a dogfight i'd say the excalibur would win, with or without the cloaking device,
the vindicator in second place, the morningstar would be like a prop plane facing advanced jets...

however, if there was a morningstar flying in the era of the excalibur, it was bound to have upgraded shields, armor, refitted guns, etc....

That was only on the original model IINM. The shroud device was surely fixed until it was workable (we see cloaking arrows in WC4)

The inclusion of the Vindicator is odd since both Excal and MS are heavy fighters while the Vin is a medium fighter based off of a civilian design.

In a meeting engagement where excal and MS have their normal loadouts (that's mean MS has its mace) the MS would most likely win as it can fire off its tactical nuke and at the very least damage the excal to some degree.

In a straight up dogfight w/o the mace, as Chuck Yeager used to remind all the time when playing CYAC, "Remember it's the MAN, not the MACHINE."

true, and the morningstar just had one of those missiles...

sneaking up from behind and firing a full spread of missiles up your opponents tailpape should destroy, or at least cripple him enough to let you gain the advantage.

i figured the match should be a one-on-one. like the simulator challenge in WC3 where you duked it out with flash...

I don't think there were any issues with the Shroud Device - but later ships (cloak Arrows, the recon variant of the Excalibur, the Prophecy fighters) mount Blackfish full cloaks.

if the turn ratio's are thesame scale the morningstar would be a tugboat compared to the excalibur.

Wait a minute, you all seem to think that the MO would win because of the Mace... The Border Worlds had the option of equipping mace missiles as well so wouldnt that give them a chance?

Because if the Vin missed with its maces it really doesn't have much to follow up with, at least not as much as the MS and Excal.

I also said that it had to be a meeting engagement (both fighters approach from head-on) which gives both fighters an equal chance at missile kills and follow up gun attack

only in suicide runs, once you fired the big one, you'd be left in an outclassed fighter with an unreliable jump drive.... a challenge though...

i think dragon vs. vampire would be a better match, fully functional cloak and fission cannons vs. superior speed and manouverability

Mace said:
only in suicide runs, once you fired the big one, you'd be left in an outclassed fighter with an unreliable jump drive.... a challenge though...

i think dragon vs. vampire would be a better match, fully functional cloak and fission cannons vs. superior speed and manouverability

Dragon, Easily, Plasma guns and Tachion guns beat all any day. The real question is... Dragon vs. Bloodfang (WC3)

I'd go for the dragon, checked the specs in the database , and the ships extreme rear shield strength and high velocity gives me a hint that its designed to make an escape run for the nearest jump point in case of trouble...

i wonder if you could use the mine trick to catch up.....

I hate the dragon. It's an "uberfighter" design, which I don't find very challenging. I mean, sure, it had a specific purpose in the story, which is fine. I just wish people could get over the damned thing. It took a lot of the fun out of playing. It wasn't challenging anymore. It was just mindless stick-moving and trigger-squeezing.

Mace said:
I'd go for the dragon, checked the specs in the database , and the ships extreme rear shield strength and high velocity gives me a hint that its designed to make an escape run for the nearest jump point in case of trouble...

i wonder if you could use the mine trick to catch up.....

You can

I have done it before, not easy to do, but in certain games you can.

This is stupid. Saying that the 'Star would down the Excal with the mace is like saying that the Hustler would beat a F-22 ina a dogfight because it carried a tatical nuke.

and in the Vamp vs Dragon fight, it would depend a lot on the pilots.

If a morningstar was used in the front lines don't you think by WC3..WC4 or WCP that it would have had its armor replaced by Isosteel, and its shield generators upgraded to snuff. The same F-16s made in 1978, are not carrying the same electronics as they do now lol.

Yes, but you couldnt toss the Hustler's nuke in your opponent's face. :D Neither was the Hustler a superiority fighter such as the Morningstar.

Chernikov said:
Yes, but you couldnt toss the Hustler's nuke in your opponent's face. :D Neither was the Hustler a superiority fighter such as the Morningstar.

Whos idea was it to Compair the Hustler to the Morningstar? It two diff types of planes!

The Excalibur is my favorite fighter, so I'm biased, but I think I could kick the s*** out of a Dragon with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back